Big Joe, our beloved Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
And people say Couture/Pavs are leadership material. Pffffffft it takes a real leader to do what Thornton did today. This is why he's the best.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Seems like the general consensus is that it was a joke and shouldn't have been reported. TSN has a video on their site of the panel talking with Botchford and no one seemed to agree with him. Mike Johnson especially looked unhappy about it.

The fact that there were at least 30 media members in the locker room that heard and probably recorded the comment and only 1 decided it was worth reporting on should tell you a lot.

I have to imagine the guys w/ mics hear, or are told, a lot of stuff off the cuff (aka locker room banter) and a majority of them seem to have a good grasp on what should be repeated in print and what shouldn't.

Technically, if Thornton didn't want to be quoted he shouldn't say something in front of a bunch of people w/ recorders but I, for one, am pretty happy he did - even if most of us were never meant to hear/read it.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any fallout for Botchford from the Sharks org tho, I highly doubt they cared about what Thornton said but they certainly aren't happy it went public.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I doubt Joe would take 4 shots, let alone score 4 goals in a game. Hopefully this motivates him to do such. After all, we should dedicate this season to striving towards seeing the true meaning of Jumbo Joe.

sharkbite3

Custom boozer title
Apr 4, 2009
Seaside, CA
Thank you, Joe. You are the ****ing man in every single way.

Best part of my day beside getting my new exhaust installed. Sounds goooood y'all.

FINatic inhockeytown

Apr 12, 2009
Detroit
FINatic inhockeytown

Here is my two cents. The Hertl goal should be a non incident. 19 year old kid scoring his fourth goal tying a Sharks record in his third game. It was a sick move. I don't think he would have tried it if the game was close. He is a kid having fun playing a GAME. Thornton's comments two days later are hella appropriate. I don't want to see Jumbo as a scapegoat but this kind of honesty needs to happen in sports interviews. Thornton was just tired of the questions about Hertl and made the best team captain quote to protect a player ever.

Kappa

Jumbo's Year
May 3, 2010
San Jose, CA
9Ii50oq.jpg

<3 you Jumbo!

thirtysix*

Am i the only one that genuinely thought he was talking about a real rooster?

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
this is mild for anyone who really knows big joe. the dude is an animal make no mistake about it, if some of you only knew..

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
this is mild for anyone who really knows big joe. the dude is an animal make no mistake about it, if some of you only knew..

Jumbo and Burns becoming friend's may be the worst thing that has happened to reporters. I can just imagine what else is said in the locker room.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Doesn't matter. The line is clear: NSFW language/content = NO.

WTF posted a safer link that has passed muster.

I would like the rationale behind this. If its hockey news there is no reason it should not be OK. Context is important and this "rule" is dumber than Shanny's suspensions.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I would like the rationale behind this. If its hockey news there is no reason it should not be OK. Context is important and this "rule" is dumber than Shanny's suspensions.

Our rule flat-out says no NSFW content/language. I'm sure no one's boss would like to walk by their desk and see "****" anywhere on it. There is enough of an explanation if anyone wants to actually read our site's rules

If you truly have an issue with the rules, you can always contact an admin about them.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Our rule flat-out says no NSFW content/language. I'm sure no one's boss would like to walk by their desk and see "****" anywhere on it. There is enough of an explanation if anyone wants to actually read our site's rules

If you truly have an issue with the rules, you can always contact an admin about them.

Anyone randomly surfing sports sites or forums at work is not going to worry about something this mundane. Logically speaking, if you are ok with your boss seeing you waste time on hfboards or other sites some quotes are not going to get you in trouble, and I say that as some who directly manages people. Obviously HF can do what they want but that does not make it logical, sane, or even reasonable.

It is what it is I suppose

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Again, read the rules. First lines:

Federal Law requires that you be 13 years of age or older to register for our forums. If you do not meet the age requirement, do not proceed with registration. If you are already registered and it is determined that you are under age 13, your account will be deleted. Although our content is suitable for all ages we are not permitted to collect personal data required for registration such as email addresses, IP numbers, etc, on individuals under age 13. By registering you acknowledge you have read and accept the forum rules.

No content is behind a registration wall. Little kids can still view this site as guests. Think about it.

4) Offensive Posts, Links or Images: No NSFW content. NSFW ("Not Safe For Work") is defined as anything that most people would not want their bosses, parents, and/or teachers to see. Do not use profanity, racial, ethnic, religious, or other slurs and stereotypes, or post sexually-oriented material, masturbatory and excretory references, or any other offensive material. This includes "Victim Pictures" of people and animals after they have been through some form of bodily trauma, "Goatse" - Photographic picture featuring the rear end of anatomy, "Tubgirl" - Photographic picture featuring creative uses of anatomy and liquids, and pedophilic jokes (ones about having sex with children). Nude and semi-nude images are not to be posted here. That includes your avatar. These are not "Babe" forums for displaying content that belongs in swimsuit calendars or lingerie catalogs.
Do not circumvent the obscenity filter by using numbers or characters such as ! or $. A word's exclusion from the obscenity filter does not mean its usage is endorsed.
We have members from different countries, religions, and cultural backgrounds. Even if you express a point of view that is very popular in your culture, it may generate a negative reaction from members in another part of the world so please exercise tact.

The boss comment is an example. Surely, anyone would know that it is not the only occasion where NSFW would not want to be seen by someone.

Since we'd rather discuss how we don't like the rules instead of what the thread is about, this is now closed. If you have a problem, you know how to PM me (this goes for everyone).

And I want to make it clear that one2gamble is the only person that brought this up in a reasonable fashion. This closing isn't a result of just his question. There have been many deleted posts about the very same subject, in a much less constructive manner. There is a trend of OT in this thread and we're just going to stop it right here.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Anyone that wants to complain to Slo or any other mod, consider this:

The rules have been the rules since you, me, Slo, Spin, practically anyone with an account here signed up. And everyone here has had multiple chances to familiarize themselves with said rules (your signup, the occasional automated reminder/re-acceptance periods, the playoff reminders that we mods post every year, etc)

That little checkbox that sits under the site rules that you hit to make your account or complete the login process? That's not just a reflex test. That's you consenting to be governed by the site rules while on HF in exchange for the ability to post here.

In other words, just because you disagree with a rule does not give you cause to violate it as some sort of protest or civil disobedience action. Like Slocal said, if you don't like it, you talk to us privately. And even if you go down that road, you publicly stay in bounds (for that matter, you privately stay in bounds too. PMs to moderators are not free reign to stop being polite and respectful).

The content rule isn't "post whatever you think is appropriate for people around you to see based on your own judgment". It's "don't post anything that's not all-ages appropriate or, at the very worst, mild PG." And it's HF's right as a privately owned and operated website to set whatever content restrictions they want.

End of story. Move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad