Lupul-Holland-Leivo
Kulemin-Mckegg-Abbott
Bodie-McClement-Ashton

Percy-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Gleason

Reimer
Bernier

Take a seat (Kadri, Raymond, Clarkson, Gunnarsson)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol I assume you are sitting Clarkson and Gunner due to injury. Neither has deserved to just sit.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I love the "where's Phil Kessel when we struggle?!" Posts.

Do you people realize that we struggle when he doesn't score? Does nobody realize that his line is pretty much the only reason we have any offensive output. Obviously his line won't be dominating every game, and when it doesn't, we struggle because we have no secondary scoring.

Get your heads out of your *****.

You're right.

The problem is that Kessel adds absolutely nothing when he isn't scoring. So if he isn't going to score every game he is a negative most of the time.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Wake up call:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Holland-Leivo
Kulemin-Mckegg-Abbott
Bodie-McClement-Ashton

Percy-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Gleason

Reimer
Bernier

A witch hunt on two guys who played less than five minutes last night due to injury? It's obvious you're not objective in the least and are cheering for players whom you don't like to fail.

Were you also chanting "Trade Bozo" while he was injured and we weren't winning?

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
You're right.

The problem is that Kessel adds absolutely nothing when he isn't scoring. So if he isn't going to score every game he is a negative most of the time.

There was a whole 17 page thread on this topic which got closed after people with your POV got absolutely dominated in a debate.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
There was a whole 17 page thread on this topic which got closed after people with your POV got absolutely dominated in a debate.

I'll let the results speak for themselves.

Kessel is terrible defensively, plays like he is made of glass and avoids the tough areas completely, and has no problem laughing it up on the bench while the Leafs are losing -- no compete level.

The only good thing is we have him locked up long term. :P

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
A witch hunt on two guys who played less than five minutes last night due to injury? It's obvious you're not objective in the least and are cheering for players whom you don't like to fail.

Were you also chanting "Trade Bozo" while he was injured and we weren't winning?
:laugh: Witch hunt? Regardless of injury - more to it than 1 game. Players listed and the whole team need a wake up. Even when we win, the games are hard to watch....This isn't a 'sky is falling'

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario

Kessel is terrible defensively, plays like he is made of glass and avoids the tough areas completely, and has no problem laughing it up on the bench while the Leafs are losing -- no compete level.

He's our best forward at gaining the zone, he's our best playmaker, he leads the team in shots, as well as goals and points. He's the #1 reason why we have a top-5 powerplay.

There's nothing to indicate that he doesn't have a compete level. Most elite goal scorers are also poor defensively. Patrick Kane has an incredibly similar game to Kessel. Kessel is 6th in scoring over the past three years.

Take your ****** witch hunt over the only player on our team that actually is a complete game-breaker and is elite in the NHL at his position and get on out of here.

Fans like this is why management feels pressure to drive our difference makers out of town, then when we stop over analyzing them because they play on another team the sentiment becomes "well where the hell was this when he was a Leaf?" Not realizing that the player's game doesn't change, the fact that there aren't losers over analyzing every step he makes is the only difference.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
:laugh: Witch hunt? Regardless of injury - more to it than 1 game. Players listed and the whole team need a wake up. Even when we win, the games are hard to watch....This isn't a 'sky is falling'

So why wasn't this posted by you prior to a 7-1 loss in which two of those players barely got to play?

I mean ****, Gunnarsson has just been decent this year. Why not, instead of sitting him, play him lower than the first line? He's an obvious asset to the team but probably isn't a #2. Advocating playing a rookie with 0 GP on our top pairing on a team that allows the most shots in the league is asinine.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
He's our best forward at gaining the zone, he's our best playmaker, he leads the team in shots, as well as goals and points. He's the #1 reason why we have a top-5 powerplay.

There's nothing to indicate that he doesn't have a compete level. Most elite goal scorers are also poor defensively. Patrick Kane has an incredibly similar game to Kessel. Kessel is 6th in scoring over the past three years.

Take your ****** witch hunt over the only player on our team that actually is a complete game-breaker and is elite in the NHL at his position and get on out of here.

Fans like this is why management feels pressure to drive our difference makers out of town, then when we stop over analyzing them because they play on another team the sentiment becomes "well where the hell was this when he was a Leaf?" Not realizing that the player's game doesn't change, the fact that there aren't losers over analyzing every step he makes is the only difference.
Yeah the wings are the least important position for defense in ice hockey. Most 1st/2nd line wingers in the NHL suck at defense.

I still think it's ridiculous that Kessel is getting paid 64m/8yrs though. Typically the franchise player, the highest paid player, on your roster is a 1st line two-way centre. Tyler Bozak is not our golden boy. So Phil Kessel is paid like a franchise player by default.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Yeah the wings are the least important position for defense in ice hockey. Most 1st/2nd line wingers in the NHL suck at defense.

I still think it's ridiculous that Kessel is getting paid 64m/8yrs though. Typically the franchise player, the highest paid player, on your roster is a 1st line two-way centre. Tyler Bozak is not our golden boy. So Phil Kessel is paid like a franchise player by default.

You have to realize that in 4 years, his contract won't be considered large.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
So why wasn't this posted by you prior to a 7-1 loss in which two of those players barely got to play?

I mean ****, Gunnarsson has just been decent this year. Why not, instead of sitting him, play him lower than the first line? He's an obvious asset to the team but probably isn't a #2. Advocating playing a rookie with 0 GP on our top pairing on a team that allows the most shots in the league is asinine.

I think you are confusing me with the sticklers that rag on players out of spite and are the ones who call for axe far too soon.

I've supported Gunnarsson all year when people I know threw him under the bus - same with Ranger. Both seemed to get the 'McCabe' or 'Berg' treatment.

Doesn't change the fact this team is playing some uninspired hockey ,even in wins. Just want to see something wake the boys up - All players I listed out of the lineup, i wouldn't want OFF the team. But if you sit there, praise them, look for reasons and go with the flow; then we have a comfy bit of players that don't think they need to work for their job.

I like the players on this team, really do. trials and tribulations happen through the year to even the best of teams. It's how we deal with them;what is the right way to get the players attention and back on track. I'm not the coach, I don't know player tendencies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wake up call:

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Holland-Leivo
Kulemin-Mckegg-Abbott
Bodie-McClement-Ashton

Percy-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Gleason

Reimer
Bernier

Reward Franson, Gardiner, Rielly for that performance?

That would definitely encourage accountability wouldn't it?

Bottom 2 lines were -1
Top 2 lines were -14

Let Kadri have company in the PB, there are 5 candidates to join him there.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Oh boohoo

He is our best forward at gaining the zone.. please. Skating fast into a wall of opposition and then losing the puck doesn't accomplish much.

The difference between Kane and Kessel is that Kane is properly slotted into his team as a complimentary player.

We are going no where with Phaneuf and Kessel as our go-to guys. Lupul and his tailored jeans..

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Oh boohoo

He is our best forward at gaining the zone.. please. Skating fast into a wall of opposition and then losing the puck doesn't accomplish much.

The difference between Kane and Kessel is that Kane is properly slotted into his team as a complimentary player.

We are going no where with Phaneuf and Kessel as our go-to guys.

Kessel gains the zone and makes a successful pass more than anyone else gains the zone, period. Of course he is going to give it away sometimes when he is always doing it.

Without Kessel the team is forced to almost exclusively dump and chase and we all know how well the Leafs can do that.

Penalty Kill Icing*

13th in the East in ROW. Those are the types of win that count in playoffs.

The core of this team is super soft. Horrible coaching. I don't know whom to even blame anymore.

This a horrible team but one which will finish mediocre in the standings because of shootout wins and loser points. Even if they make the playoffs by mistake, first round exit is awaiting. And it won't be as close as la0st year.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Apparently Nonis thinks no one is accountable. This team is a gong show from top to bottom. Nonis is operating on the 10-1 principle. It doesn't matter how crappy the team is as lomg as they can make the playoffs every decade or so and the dumb fans will lap it up.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
You guys expect Nonis to do something less then 24 hours after that embarrassment? lol what a joke

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

I get your point about his lacklustre defense but he's still the biggest offensive threat on the team. At the very least, when he's not scoring or providing offensive chances for his linemates, he's still drawing the toughest competition which is a benefit to other the other lines.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To be honest, that sort of lopsided score has been on the cards for a while now.

We've been heavily outplayed in most games this season.

We've been heavily outshot, out-chanced, and out-possessed in most games this season.

We were outplayed, out-shot, out-chanced, and out-possessed in the Winter Classic.

The only difference between all those games and last night, is that goaltending has covered the cracks quite a bit. But when goaltending isn't bailing the team out, like last night, then it shows that we aren't a great team.

Our play has been humiliating for a long time now, and we've somehow pulled out results. Finally our humiliating play has translated into a humiliating score.

It's time for Carlyle and the boys to seriously Wake the **** Up.

The Winter Classsic is over. HBO is gone. Maybe it was a hang-over. But it's time to go back to the drawing board, simplify the game, replay the tapes of the win against the Hawks, and go from there.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
You guys expect Nonis to do something less then 24 hours after that embarrassment? lol what a joke

It's time Nonis and the players are given a spelling test. Spell Intense, how many Leafs players and management could spell this word correctly. :help: :help:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think guys like Kessel, Kadri and Gardiner and Franson should be benched and healthy scratched to really send a message. A guy like Orr should be waived outright. Someone needs to lose their job.

BluPuk*

In the old days a team could send players down to the minors for a few games. Let them ride the cold, noisy buses from game to game and carry their own equipment. Play in rinks with 5000 or fewer people in them, water on the dressing room floor and green hotdogs.

Would be damn good therapy for a few guys on this team....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad