Proposal: Bickell over Leddy

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How does that even conceivably help us?

Players like Leddy are infinitely harder to find. We already have ready and capable replacements waiting in the wings at Rockford. What do you really think we can get in return that can REPLACE what we're losing and give us enough of an additional return to even entertain the idea? We need defensemen that can help us win NOW, not 3 years from now, and Leddy does just that. Especially if our idiot coach would use him right. If he had been running our PP1 all year he'd be an absolute dynamo at it right now. You don't trade those sort of players away, you lock them up with extensions.

Leddy is helping us win right now??? He's getting 10-12mins a night. That is easy to find else where. You could probably find more solid defensive defenseman to fill what Leddy has done for us this year, which isn't much.

I'm not saying trade Leddy, I am saying it's better asset management if they were to decide between the two. If Leddy is as good as you think he is, then he would return a hefty package.

Leddy is a dime a dozen the way he is playing RIGHT NOW.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I agree. I mean, here's the thing, and someone can post a capgeek if they want to, I could be a little off, but I just don't see how Bickell at 3.75M, Leddy at 2.5M and Hammer at 4.5M all fit after Hammer is resigned. Sure, you can deal Bolland for next year, but then you'll have other guys getting raises like Toews/Kane, Shaw and Saad. At the end of the day, you need to make a choice on these guys. Hammer can't go, we all agree on that. So then it becomes a question of Bickell vs. Leddy. I think Leddy is can be easier replaced. Obviously, most seem to think Bickell is easier replaced (or just doesn't need to be replaced at all).

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Pay Bickell and trade Leddy. I want bowman fired who ever signs bicks should basically packing their stuff. Because they are gone in a year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Leddy is helping us win right now??? He's getting 10-12mins a night. That is easy to find else where. You could probably find more solid defensive defenseman to fill what Leddy has done for us this year, which isn't much.

I'm not saying trade Leddy, I am saying it's better asset management if they were to decide between the two. If Leddy is as good as you think he is, then he would return a hefty package.

Leddy is a dime a dozen the way he is playing RIGHT NOW.

:facepalm:

come on people.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess the truth is hard to hear for the Leddy lovers.

I like Leddy, quite a bit, but his play in the playoffs hasn't helped this team NEAR as much as Bickell. NEC

well Q has dropped Saad down in lines and his minutes as well...better trade him right now!!

Come on guys, get a clue.

Q doesn't play his youngsters that much in the playoffs, what he is doing with Leddy he is doing with Saad as well. Completely ignore their entire regular season accomplishments and only focus on the playoffs where Q has no clue how to play younger players.

This must be bizzaro world where we pimp out a player like Bickell who goes missing for many parts of an 82 game season and hate on a kid like Leddy who to no fault of his own doesnt get played as much as he should in these playoffs...

I want the Hawks to keep Bickell as much as the next person, but no way in hell should we even consider trading away Leddy to re-sign a player who is playing on a contract year and likely will be the next Joel Ward headache that many dont want to see..People bashed me for wanting to keep Brouwer around and now some of you want to get rid of Leddy to keep Bickell??? Holy lord.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
well Q has dropped Saad down in lines and his minutes as well...better trade him right now!!

Come on guys, get a clue.

Q doesn't play his youngsters that much in the playoffs, what he is doing with Leddy he is doing with Saad as well. Completely ignore their entire regular season accomplishments and only focus on the playoffs where Q has no clue how to play younger players.

This must be bizzaro world where we pimp out a player like Bickell who goes missing for many parts of an 82 game season and hate on a kid like Leddy who to no fault of his own doesnt get played as much as he should in these playoffs...

I want the Hawks to keep Bickell as much as the next person, but no way in hell should we even consider trading away Leddy to re-sign a player who is playing on a contract year and likely will be the next Joel Ward headache that many dont want to see..People bashed me for wanting to keep Brouwer around and now some of you want to get rid of Leddy to keep Bickell??? Holy lord.

What are you going on about?
I already said I don't want to trade Leddy.

And the argument was about what Leddy is doing for us right now. Right now means in the playoffs. There is a reason Leddy isn't playing, it isn't because he is young. It's because he is making constant mistakes and is the worst when he is pressured in his own end. Him and Saad are still very raw, but still have all kinds of potential.

And there we go again with the Joel Ward comparison when they aren't even close to being the same type of player.

And Brouwer sucked just as much as Stalberg in the playoffs, he was the complete opposite of Bryan Bickell.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What are you going on about?
I already said I don't want to trade Leddy.

And the argument was about what Leddy is doing for us right now. Right now means in the playoffs. There is a reason Leddy isn't playing, it isn't because he is young. It's because he is making constant mistakes and is the worst when he is pressured in his own end. Him and Saad are still very raw, but still have all kinds of potential.

And there we go again with the Joel Ward comparison when they aren't even close to being the same type of player.

And Brouwer sucked just as much as Stalberg in the playoffs, he was the complete opposite of Bryan Bickell.

100% fail.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
your not saying to trade Leddy....yet your saying to trade Leddy...I really cant handle this board anymore :shakehead

I don't know how many more times someone can say that "they don't want to trade Leddy" , yet everything they say is about moving Leddy . You can use the term asset management all day long, but your picking to move Leddy over Bickell and that is where I must move on as there is only so much I can take in day :help:

the correct answer is re-sign Bickell and slap your stupid selves for ever entertaining the thought of moving Leddy.

SLarmer28*

Nick Leddy will not be traded. The Chicago Blackhawks have other options with player transactions to free up salary cap space between trades and buyouts:

Bolland
Brookbank
Carcillo
Montador
Olesz

Speaking of Dave Bolland, 12 playoffs games, 0 playoff goals, 1 playoff assist, minus 3 rating. Dave Bolland has not scored a goal in his last 19 games and only 2 goals in his last 34 games.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/bollada01/gamelog/2013/

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Nick Leddy is still developing. Takes more time for defensemen to develop the shut-down skills. A lot of the "elite" d-men in this league (Letang) aren't that great defensively, though. His upside is top-4 d-man....Bickell is a nice 3rd-liner if you can afford him but the Hawks probably can't. D-men who can skate like Leddy are not easy to find, I'd say at his price he is more valuable to the Hawks.

troymurray

May 18, 2013
I can't be bothered reading this thread but that's the best game I've seen Leddy play as a Hawk. Especially the 1st period.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Leddy already is a Top4 D and a good enough two way D... his defensiv play improved a lot since last season

SLarmer28*

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Drew Leblanc ($0.874m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Bryan Bickell ($3.000m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.125m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.000m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.578m) /

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Antti Raanta ($1.400m)

OTHER
Buyout: Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Buyout: Rostislav Olesz ($0.292m)
Trade: Michael Frolik, Dan Carcillo (if a cheaper veteran left winger is available)
Substitute: Michal Rozsival for Sheldon Brookbank for the same cap hit

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,990,920; BONUSES: $557,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,866,580

Looks like it comes down to trading Michael Frolik versus Dave Bolland to remain under the salary cap for the 2013-14 NHL Season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad