Proposal: Bickell over Leddy

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
even with buff not playing forward, he's still one of the best offensive dmen in the game...

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
Entering this year Bickell’s had an uneven progression with intensity, but he’s produced pretty well with bottom-9 minutes while raising his game in the playoffs. This year he’s had a very steady year and has had a great playoffs. All while making peanuts.

Maturity or contract year? Hard to say, but a clue would be if Bickell wants to test the UFA market hard. Then he’s gone. But if it’s sign Bickell at a discount, the Hawks will not let his value go away for nothing.

I don’t see this as a Leddy vs. BIckell thing - they can keep both (it’s Bolland of course) - but if it is Leddy that has to go they would get great value in return vs. nothing for Bickell.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
One solid stretch of 17 games does not tell you that Bickell is a "playoff performer" capable of significantly upping his game from his regular season performance. That is just moronic and completely overlooks the intricacies and variability of hockey.

Yes he has played very well and seems to be hitting his stride but it doesn't change my opinion of him too much. We all know what Bickell is and a couple dozen games shouldn't shift that considerably.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
One solid stretch of 17 games does not tell you that Bickell is a "playoff performer" capable of significantly upping his game from his regular season performance. That is just moronic and completely overlooks the intricacies and variability of hockey.

Yes he has played very well and seems to be hitting his stride but it doesn't change my opinion of him too much. We all know what Bickell is and a couple dozen games shouldn't shift that considerably.

"We" don't know what Bickell is. Perhaps you forgot the great series vs the #1 seed VAN he had two years ago.

Did we know Buff? He was the only forward that was munis in the regular season of the cup winning year, AND he was minus in the playoffs when the Hawks went 16-6.

Bickell is on the same rate of pts and goals and is having the same impact as Buff in the POs after having a better regular season. No one is talking about the Hawks giving him a huge contract, or that his 25sht% sustainable, but to deny that without his play the Hawks are probably playing golf is sour grapes.
Since SC in the playoffs:
Toews: 30g: 4-13-20 +3
Bickell: 28g: 12-9- 21 +9

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Size is fine but you need a package of Size and speed to get an advantage out of said size.

and like before, Bickell is no guarantee and his numbers are not normal compared to his career. His ppg is up as is his shooting %. It's a good chance that he won't repeat it again at that important level. Could find others to fill this role in the next few years with Jayes being able to play in the NHL as soon as next season. Saad will get better and he isn't small. Also have Morin who plays bigger than his size and still a 1st round pick in McNeill.

You just need to tell Jayes to use his body a bit better

Nothingman*

Size is fine but you need a package of Size and speed to get an advantage out of said size.

and like before, Bickell is no guarantee and his numbers are not normal compared to his career. His ppg is up as is his shooting %. It's a good chance that he won't repeat it again at that important level. Could find others to fill this role in the next few years with Jayes being able to play in the NHL as soon as next season. Saad will get better and he isn't small. Also have Morin who plays bigger than his size and still a 1st round pick in McNeill.

You just need to tell Jayes to use his body a bit better

That is not going to happen. That is not his game.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I like Morin a lot but we need more of that, want plus BB on this team, then we'll have great net presence.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Bicks in 2010 wasn't as non-physical as Hayes, but hitting was definitely not part of his game.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
BB has always taken a lot of wrong, miguided grief from this board. People like to **** on the big guys. Nevermind it.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Yeah, Bickell was always a guy that never used his size the way he should, it was a common complaint for several years. People are really misremembering here, he wasn't a very physical player.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Keeping Bickell certainly is a positive for the Hawks but it does come with some negatives.

Strengthening the Hawks wings will cost the Hawks down the middle. I see lots of lineups posted with 3 of our 4 centers consisting of Pirri, Leblanc, Shaw, and Kruger. That is a VERY weak center group.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
In 2010 Bicks was 3rd on the team in hits with 178, he was always a physical player.

Oh really?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/p...hits/year/2011/seasontype/2/position/forwards

Why was Bryan Bickell ranked 22nd amongst forwards for hits registered during the 2010-11 NHL Season?

We could get into a long argument about the trustworthiness of real-time stats here, but it's easier to pull up old posts.

Bickell didn't really start noticeably hitting until the Vancouver series.

If Bickell could be a little more physical with his size that line could be great next season.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=32846436&postcount=1051

It's more than apparent we need a power forward/serious grit. "How can you trade away our 34 goal scorer?" I'd sooner have a guy put in 20-25 and be able to stand up for our guys. Kane getting beat around big time this series. This SHOULD NOT be happening. We need someone to beat their finesse around. Someone slamming into the Sedins. Bickell should be driving people through the boards with his size but he plays like he's a *****cat. I won't complain about him though, cause his cap hit is so low and he did almost net 20 goals this year. Sure Brouwer/Seabs hit but we need another 2 or so guys that aren't scared to mix it up.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=32429528&postcount=595

I'm still not sold on Bickell, he seemingly only plays well with Bolland, but he took serious strides in his physical play during the series which is good going forward.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=32708826&postcount=5

Bickell led the team in hits. Did he finally get the memo?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=32510205&postcount=6

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Most guys that aren't 4th liners don't hit a ton during the regular season. I don't need to have a team running around for 82 games. Buff didn't hit during the regular season, neither did Ladd. But when it came time, they knew how to throw their weight around.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't agree with that. In fact, I think it's the opposite - that his playoff run has caused a bunch of people to develop amnesia.

Well, I always liked him and what he brought to the team. For me, this is just him taking another step forward.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Keeping Bickell certainly is a positive for the Hawks but it does come with some negatives.

Strengthening the Hawks wings will cost the Hawks down the middle. I see lots of lineups posted with 3 of our 4 centers consisting of Pirri, Leblanc, Shaw, and Kruger. That is a VERY weak center group.

There is nothing weak about LeBlanc or Shaw.

And Kruger or Pirri instead of Handzus? Not a big drop off, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad