Bettman's letter to Goodenow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealCruiser_83*

As my favorite saying goes... "If your not happy, you can just get the f*ck out"

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
ComrieFanatic said:
this letter should not have been released to the media, espcially this fast...somethings up..make NHL trying to make themselves look good to the public

Why not? The league is putting pressure on the PA, and its working. I see nothing wrong with this tactic. Its not the NHL's fault that the PA's PR department is seemingly run by a bunch of brainless monkeys who have no clue how to sway public opinion, and didnt think of this first.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
Why not? The league is putting pressure on the PA, and its working. I see nothing wrong with this tactic. Its not the NHL's fault that the PA's PR department is seemingly run by a bunch of brainless monkeys would have no clue how to sway public opinion.

Who's the brainless monkey? At least you realize you've been swayed by the NHL's PR. Most don't admit it.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
TonySCV said:
It's pretty obvious the letter was made public so that the NHLPA wouldn't "interpret it" differently to their members.

Or did the PA leak it so that if they decline and Gary cancels the season, public outrage will be more directed at him for placing a firm ulimatum and not restarting negotiations.

Perception will now be that the season was cancelled over a few million dollars.

This also "humanizes" this even more. Many people are saying the letter was "condescending" (I don't agree. This is already swaying people toward the players side a bit.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
As Bill told Ted, "de-linking" a maximum team salary cap from League revenues and total League-wide player compensation has always been problematic for us, especially since we cannot now quantify the damage to the League from the lockout.

Translation: We really liked our old proposals...

This presents the risk we will pay out more than we can afford. As you know, if all 30 teams were to spend to the maximum we proposed, and if the damage to our business is as we discussed at our meetings in New York,

... because if every conceivable thing were to go wrong...

then the League would continue to lose money.

... we still wouldn't lose money under our proposed system.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
e.j. hradek just said that the league leaked the letter before they even presented it to the NHLPA

this all doesn't endear me to the NHL anymore...give me a break guys, it's too late for useless posturing

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
shakes said:
No what is a joke is releasing all this stuff to the public.. I mean, come on, a condescending letter telling a bunch of hockey players that they were all going to have to bend over and as a bonus the entire world was going to know the context of their 'surrender'.

Seems to me the NHL is just trying to piss off a bunch of tough guy hockey players by trying to emasculate them.
Why do you think the letter has a condescending tone? It's politely worded. Just because you disagree with the offer doesn't make the communication condescending.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
goodenows mock letter to bettman

dear gary,

why you little *****....

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

ok, deal.

yours truly
bob

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
MagnusJondus said:
Or did the PA leak it so that if they decline and Gary cancels the season, public outrage will be more directed at him for placing a firm ulimatum and not restarting negotiations.

Perception will now be that the season was cancelled over a few million dollars.

This also "humanizes" this even more. Many people are saying the letter was "condescending" (I don't agree. This is already swaying people toward the players side a bit.

Could be, but the fact is that until the NHLPA counters, they aren't a few million off, they are $10MM+ off. Big difference. If the NHLPA counters at $45MM and the NHL rejects it, then yes.. the NHL will have some explaining to do. If the NHLPA just rejects the offer out of hand and offers no counter, then the NHLPA will be the ones who seem unreasonable.

You can bemoan the negotiating tactics on both sides - in hindsight everyone will agree that this is NOT the ideal way labor negotiations should go, but - I give credit to both sides for seeing the light a bit and trying to make something work. The concession to drop linkage was just as significant as the concession to accept a cap.

- T

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
shakes said:
No what is a joke is releasing all this stuff to the public.. I mean, come on, a condescending letter telling a bunch of hockey players that they were all going to have to bend over and as a bonus the entire world was going to know the context of their 'surrender'.

Seems to me the NHL is just trying to piss off a bunch of tough guy hockey players by trying to emasculate them.

Tough guy hockey players shouldn't be so sensitive that their feelings are hurt over a letter.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Jobu said:
I think the fact that it was made public tells us all we need to know about the NHL's sincerity.

I agree 100%. It shows they wont back down and that this is in concrete-so much so that we are making it known to the public

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
negotiations are over.

Im sure the PA never thought it would get close to $52 million. They aimed high
to get something like $44-45 million.
its very close if you ask me and i truly believe it will be accepted.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Tough guy hockey players shouldn't be so sensitive that their feelings are hurt over a letter.

The "tough guy" part was the point. Trying to humiliate "tough guys" generally gets a knee jerk reaction.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
TonySCV said:
Could be, but the fact is that until the NHLPA counters, they aren't a few million off, they are $10MM+ off. Big difference. If the NHLPA counters at $45MM and the NHL rejects it, then yes.. the NHL will have some explaining to do. If the NHLPA just rejects the offer out of hand and offers no counter, then the NHLPA will be the ones who seem unreasonable.

You can bemoan the negotiating tactics on both sides - in hindsight everyone will agree that this is NOT the ideal way labor negotiations should go, but - I give credit to both sides for seeing the light a bit and trying to make something work. The concession to drop linkage was just as significant as the concession to accept a cap.

- T

This is very true.

If the players were looking for a hard cap with no linkage in the mid to high 40's range, they should have asked in Sept. With no linkage, and the unforseen affect on revenues, its just not acceptable by the NHL to have a cap that high. Damn I hope this gets done, by with the take it or leave it offer, I'm know very pessimistic, while earlier today I was certain a deal would be done.

tristan76

Oct 28, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
shakes said:

Okay, I am neither pro-player nor pro-owner in this, but it seems to me that 45 million dollars divided amongst 25 odd players is not really "emasculating." In the same time period that BC Teachers are asked to accept their 4th consecutive year without a pay increase or Wal-Mart is shutting down a store because they dared to unionize, we may be going overboard for a bunch of crybaby millionaires (as differentiated from the crybaby billionaires). If the players think they can do a better job with a league go and start one. For me, the fact that the owners did not capitulate tells me that there is the ring of truth to their claims about losing money.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If the players were looking for a hard cap with no linkage in the mid to high 40's range, they should have asked in Sept.

who's to say the league would have taken it? if the NHLPA proposes that in september, the league probably rejects it in hopes of negotiating a better deal for themselves. that's the annoying thing about these negotiations...both sides will continue to screw the other side until they either realize "oh crap we have to get a deal done or we're both screwed" or, well...they screw themselves

'm know very pessimistic, while earlier today I was certain a deal would be done.

bettman tends to have that effect...

SPARTAKUS*

But the question is : If the players reject this offer will they get a better deal down the road?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Does anyone actually believe this is a legitmate letter written by Gary Bettman that was intended for only Goodenow to read?

:badidea:

The NHL is treating the fans as though they're a bunch of little kids. They have been throughout the process. I can't believe more people aren't pissed off at this kind of stuff.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Levitate said:
e.j. hradek just said that the league leaked the letter before they even presented it to the NHLPA

this all doesn't endear me to the NHL anymore...give me a break guys, it's too late for useless posturing

I have no idea how it could have a positive effect on public opinion for the owners by leaking this. First, it was a private letter. Seems unethical to me. And now that the players have shown a willingness to concede to the biggest issue (although "linkage" is a big issue, but not the biggest in the public eye) and if the season's cancelled the blame is on the NHL more than it was 24 hours ago.

Releasing this letter may only galvanize the union due to Bettman's tactics. Gary has made pride a centrifugal issue for the players once again.

Tactical error if you ask me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Does anyone actually believe this is a legitmate letter written by Gary Bettman that was intended for only Goodenow to read?

The NHL is treating the fans as though they're a bunch of little kids. They have been throughout the process. I can't believe more people aren't pissed off at this kind of stuff.

no, it's not a legitimate letter intended only for Goodenow...it was leaked before it was even presented to the NHLPA.

and yes, the treatement of the fans seriously pisses me off and has been one of my biggest frustrations. both sides treat the fans like crap but the league's attempted manipulation of fans is insulting

SPARTAKUS*

Leaf Army said:

:badidea:

If I'm Bob Goodenow I base my decision to accept or refuse the deal only by the numbers. Not because I'm pissed off at Bettman for making a letter public.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
whatever really, just make a f'n deal and drop the goddamn puck.

me and everyone else is sick of the goddamn prairie chicken displays of dominance, sign the papers and lace em up.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Leaf Army said:
The NHL is treating the fans as though they're a bunch of little kids. They have been throughout the process.

Appropriately. ;)

If the league felt the need to treat fans like adults, with more respect, they would.

On the contrary, they have achieved their desired PR results by playing to the lowest common denominator, fans' visceral emotions.

Has Bettman played Goodenow like a banjo? We'll see, once a deal is hammered out. But there is no doubt that he has "played" many fans and media throughout this episode, perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad