Bettman's letter to Goodenow

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiavsfan

The joke is the PA's cap. 52 million? YEAH!!! What a help that would be...you would still see a big cost differential in big and small market teams...the big market teams would spend the entire 52, and the small markets would make the floor of 32...thats 20 million...2 or 3 star players the other teams dont have...hmmm

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

TSN missed the postscript:

Bob you mofo, stop trying to ice skate uphill.

- Love, Gary.

Pure Rock Fury*

I like it. It's about time Bettman put his foot down.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
The schooling of Bob Goodenow continues.

(though I'm sure some pro-PA people would disagree.)

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Dave in LA said:
This may be a dumb question, but what does he mean by 2.2 mil in benefits?

D

Health insurance, life insurance, etc. These benefits for the players (and their families) are paid for by the teams.

ResidentAlien*

Jobu said:
What a joke. Could he get any more condescending?

As McCown and Neil Smith say on the Fan590, are the players really going to come down $10m in one day after thinking $52m was a huge concession?

Game over.
I agree with your premise, but the huge concession was the cap

chiavsfan

though I'm sure some pro-PA people would disagree.

Of course they disagree, they still want to see revenue sharing...owners giving other teams their money to try and compete...the dumbest idea ever on the face of the earth. He we are trying to win a cup...but since we have to share...here is some of our money, so you can get a player or 2 to beat us....yikes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
The schooling of Bob Goodenow continues.

(though I'm sure some pro-PA people would disagree.)

At least he called him 'Bob' and not Mr. Goodenow.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
The joke is the PA's cap. 52 million? YEAH!!! What a help that would be...you would still see a big cost differential in big and small market teams...the big market teams would spend the entire 52, and the small markets would make the floor of 32...thats 20 million...2 or 3 star players the other teams dont have...hmmm

No what is a joke is releasing all this stuff to the public.. I mean, come on, a condescending letter telling a bunch of hockey players that they were all going to have to bend over and as a bonus the entire world was going to know the context of their 'surrender'.

Seems to me the NHL is just trying to piss off a bunch of tough guy hockey players by trying to emasculate them.

SPARTAKUS*

Jobu said:
What a joke. Could he get any more condescending?

As McCown and Neil Smith say on the Fan590, are the players really going to come down $10m in one day after thinking $52m was a huge concession?

Game over.
Keep in mind that if the players reject this offer do you really think that they will have their 52 millions cap next september and they sure won't have the 42.5 million that they have right now.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Dave in LA said:
This may be a dumb question, but what does he mean by 2.2 mil in benefits?

D

Insurance, benefits, medical costs and payroll taxes.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
Of course they disagree, they still want to see revenue sharing...owners giving other teams their money to try and compete...the dumbest idea ever on the face of the earth. He we are trying to win a cup...but since we have to share...here is some of our money, so you can get a player or 2 to beat us....yikes

wow... and here I was thinking that the owners were in this to "ensure the health of the league".

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty obvious the letter was made public so that the NHLPA wouldn't "interpret it" differently to their members.

Hey.. Roenick said $42MM was good for a deal - so there it is.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Patrick Bateman said:
I like it. It's about time Bettman put his foot down.
The time for taking hardline stances is over.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't buy it that that the NHL isn't open to any negotiation on that figure. Should the PA call and present a figure of $45 million (plus benefits) I find it totally inconceivable that the NHL will reject it. After all that the two sides have been through, a deal isn't going to fall through because they're 2-3 million apart.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
TonySCV said:
It's pretty obvious the letter was made public so that the NHLPA wouldn't "interpret it" differently to their members.

Hey.. Roenick said $42MM was good for a deal - so there it is.

Yeh, I'm sure it wasn't.. :speechles

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
ComrieFanatic said:
this letter should not have been released to the media, espcially this fast...somethings up..make NHL trying to make themselves look good to the public

I think the fact that it was made public tells us all we need to know about the NHL's sincerity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad