Bettman's Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This is not an explicitly BoH topic, but I feel like it fits in best here. This was broached on in a few other threads here during the Cup presentation.

Yesterday, Bettman again appeared very shaky and his speech was sometimes slurred. It really looks like the onset of Parkinson's, god forbid. How would his health effect the running of the league?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Ignorant question: does Parkinson's (or any other illness that it could theoretically be) limit mental capabilities, or is it purely physical?

BadHammy*

Ignorant question: does Parkinson's (or any other illness that it could theoretically be) limit mental capabilities, or is it purely physical?

It will very much limit one's mental capacities. I agree that he looked bad, thought maybe he was running on very little sleep and possibly on cold medicine.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think it's more serious because he also appeared shaky while presenting the Cup. It seems like early Parkinson's because that would explain why he sometimes seems fine for brief interviews. Honestly, if it isn't Parkinson's, it's probably something equally serious. I really hope I'm way off base here, though :(

I won't be at all shocked if he steps down at the end of his current contract.

BadHammy*

I think it's more serious because he also appeared shaky while presenting the Cup. It seems like early Parkinson's because that would explain why he sometimes seems fine for brief interviews. Honestly, if it isn't Parkinson's, it's probably something equally serious. I really hope I'm way off base here, though :(

I won't be at all shocked if he steps down at the end of his current contract.

I would like to see him go, but I don't wish death or serious illness/injury on him.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
it's just a nervous reaction to public situations - from what i've heard (hearsay i know), get him alone one on one in a room and you feel like the Devil has you in his sights.

:amazed:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's the same at every draft. The NHL network replays all the old drafts every year, and Bettman always seems like that. I think it's just nerves and general akwardness. He's just kind of a nervous, dweeby guy. We all had them in our classes growing up. Real nerdy and kind of uncomfortable in their own skin. Especially in front of an audience.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Per Wikipedia, he's 57.

But stress can age you.

From what I've listened to during the NHL hour, he seems mentally pretty sharp.

Without knowing any details, I would assume the league has some kind of contingency WRT "CEO" replacement. The heir apparent is Daly, who seems to be similar to Bettman in many ways.

Midnight

Jun 17, 2006
San Jose
He's a former lawyer, he's been NHL commissioner for over 15 years, and he seems like a pretty confident guy in general. I doubt that it's as simple as just being nervous in big situations. Hopefully it's really nothing, but enough observers have pointed this out in recent years that it could really be a health issue.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
He's a former lawyer, he's been NHL commissioner for over 15 years, and he seems like a pretty confident guy in general. I doubt that it's as simple as just being nervous in big situations. Hopefully it's really nothing, but enough observers have pointed this out in recent years that it could really be a health issue.

How's he look during the state of the league address during the Cup Final? That'd be the one to compare and contrast with.

As a lawyer, in press conferences, normal commish duties, you're used to a small room of people (or a large room of 200). Even though you know on TV, you don't SEE the people watching on TV.

It's extremely different to go in front of 18,000 people at the Finals, or the Draft. Juries and reporters don't boo.

(although, I was way more comfortable talking to 1,000+ over a mic than talking to a room of 25-75 people. So, who knows)

GSC2k2*

It's the same at every draft. The NHL network replays all the old drafts every year, and Bettman always seems like that. I think it's just nerves and general akwardness. He's just kind of a nervous, dweeby guy. We all had them in our classes growing up. Real nerdy and kind of uncomfortable in their own skin. Especially in front of an audience.

Laughable. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

IF there is one thing that Bettman is not, it is "uncomfortable in his own skin".

Fugu

Laughable. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

IF there is one thing that Bettman is not, it is "uncomfortable in his own skin".

How do you know, GC? I'm not saying he is or is not, but you sound convinced, almost as if you knew the man personally.

The impression I get is that he's not at his best in front of a camera or large crowds. That's okay though, most people aren't. It actually takes a special talent to be vibrant in that setting, not the opposite, imo.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As much as I don't like him, the guy has an incredible schedule.
He deserves a long holiday, but yes, I think he looks unwell.

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
it's just a nervous reaction to public situations - from what i've heard (hearsay i know), get him alone one on one in a room and you feel like the Devil has you in his sights.

:amazed:

Thats what i heard..

I heard he has a big case of "Small man's disease"

lol

GSC2k2*

How do you know, GC? I'm not saying he is or is not, but you sound convinced, almost as if you knew the man personally.

The impression I get is that he's not at his best in front of a camera or large crowds. That's okay though, most people aren't. It actually takes a special talent to be vibrant in that setting, not the opposite, imo.
I don't know him personally, but I would rely on my instincts 100 times out of 100 rather than the views of someone who sees a smart guy and assumes that he is a "nerd" or a "goober". You are free to dismiss them. I am comfortable with my record.

Fugu

I don't know him personally, but I would rely on my instincts 100 times out of 100 rather than the views of someone who sees a smart guy and assumes that he is a "nerd" or a "goober". You are free to dismiss them. I am comfortable with my record.

I know plenty of nerds who are comfortable in the limelight. One does not preclude the other.

Gary, since we're on a first name basis here, is not a great communicator or charismatic bloke, as I've opined previously. Doesn't mean he's not very smart, but you seem to be fighting a perception that is quite prevalent. I've even seen comments in the media - from unbiased sources - who have said as much.

GSC2k2*

I know plenty of nerds who are comfortable in the limelight. One does not preclude the other.

Gary, since we're on a first name basis here, is not a great communicator or charismatic bloke, as I've opined previously. Doesn't mean he's not very smart, but you seem to be fighting a perception that is quite prevalent. I've even seen comments in the media - from unbiased sources - who have said as much.
Well, don't say it to me. Say it to the other poster, who directly equated "nerdy" with "uncomfortable in their own skin". i didn't even get to the fallacy in that equation (as you correctly IMO point out as well).

As for what the media thinks, my respect for them is something less than immense, shall we say. They have "stories" to write. As for the hockey fan community, well, let's just say that there is a certain quality to it as a whole that does not exactly engender independent and thoughtful analysis. IMO.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm watching a Wayne Gretzky DVD and they had a segment on Wayne breaking Gordie Howe's goal-scoring record in 1994. They show Gary Bettman giving a speech at ice level, and honest to god, he was shaking just as much as he was Friday night at the draft. That was 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad