Bettman to get bonus if he puts a salary cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Does it really matter if he gets a bonus or for how much? I mean if the owners write it into his contract so be it. After all he was hired and is paid by them and is doing their bidding. As much as i dislike the guy he's only doing his job and with that may come a bonus. Just like in a lot of people jobs.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Cabinet ministers have been known to get performance pay if they can see a file through to certain objectoves, for example, if they could slash the education budget so much, they get a bonus, etc.

Im not sure its ultimately too important, as the owners, like the premier over a cabinet minister, get the final say anyway.

Wetcoaster

me2 said:
Got any links to the $6m figure?

Not handy.

I have read it in several stories over the years and it has been mentioned on TV and sports talk radio programs.

Strazzobosco

Dec 6, 2004
Fairfax, VA
djhn579 said:
Anyway, what does that matter? If he was hired specifically to get a cap, why shouldn't he have some kind of bonus contingent on him getting that? No matter how you look at it, the owners had to hire him, had to tell him that they want a cap, and had to agree to give him a bonus if he does get one.

I don't know. Most of us would get paid ONLY if we did our job, not get a bonus if we somehow manage to do what we were hired for to begin with! Sometimes the hockey business makes no sense...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
dumitru123 said:
I don't know. Most of us would get paid ONLY if we did our job, not get a bonus if we somehow manage to do what we were hired for to begin with! Sometimes the hockey business makes no sense...

Found this interesting report online (its forbes so its rubbery but its better than nothing). There are some great graphs in there, so purdy.

http://www.moagandcompany.com/pdf/04_06_NHL_review.pdf

Bettman might not know hockey (he doesn't make the rule changes anyway) but he did grow revenue by quite a bit (quadrupled).

NHL has a higher fan turnout than the NBA 91% v 88%.

Ticket increases have been kept to the lowest increase in pro sports.

Only things he's failed at is controlling salary (which you don't want him to anyway).

Exhibit 18 is interesting.

YellHockey*

me2 said:
Exhibit 18 is interesting.

It's interesting how they've excluded two teams. Namely Columbus and the Rangers.

I think exhibit 20 is more reflective of reality.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
BlackRedGold said:
It's interesting how they've excluded two teams. Namely Columbus and the Rangers.

I think exhibit 20 is more reflective of reality.

20 is good. You'd get a pretty good trend line on the points per dollar.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
dumitru123 said:

Well, I'm an engineer, and I get a yearly bonus. It is generally 10% of my salary, but can be higher or lower depending on how well I'm doing my job. Granted, it is not anywhere near the size of Bettman's bonus, but there are many jobs in the world besides sports that do have performance bonuses.

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
Alright so , on the one hand some people here are saying a $1 million bonus is laughable as an incentive and on the other hand some are saying it would make him put his personal interest over the interest of the league yet both sides are sounding like they think it's a bad thing.
Make up my mind.... the same reason the players use all the time "if they're willing to give me a million , i'll take it" ...why does it cause such a ruckus when it's Bettman ?
Who cares anyway....

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
tritone said:
Alright so , on the one hand some people here are saying a $1 million bonus is laughable as an incentive and on the other hand some are saying it would make him put his personal interest over the interest of the league yet both sides are sounding like they think it's a bad thing.
Make up my mind.... the same reason the players use all the time "if they're willing to give me a million , i'll take it" ...why does it cause such a ruckus when it's Bettman ?
Who cares anyway....

I don't think it is a big deal either. If Bettman gets a salary cap, the owners lose less money/ more teams make a profit, so why not reward him for getting the job done. He is the one that gets the majority of the abuse from the fans anyway. If he doesn't get a cap, he has still worked hard and earned his salary, but doesn't get the bonus.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
LeafsGirl said:
i dont know where to put this but i saw on the score ticker: just a 'report' that if bettman can get a salary cap in place he can get 1 million dollar in bonuses...

He's also going to get a nice buyout.

smileymcadam

Feb 11, 2003
A happy place
Visit site
LeafsGirl said:
i dont know where to put this but i saw on the score ticker: just a 'report' that if bettman can get a salary cap in place he can get 1 million dollar in bonuses...

Read today's Calgary Herald and you will see Dowbiggin backtracking like mad on his original story.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
The title of this thread should be "Rumor: ..."
What a bunch of bologna.

"The report is inaccurate," Hotchkiss says. "I personally negotiated Gary's contract.
"I had the assistance of three other senior owners, and it was approved by the board. There are absolutely no CBA incentives in that contract.''

"Bettman came to us and said he would not accept any such incentives, because he wanted to be free to make his decisions without being accused of doing something for his own, in those negotiations, for his own personal gain.

"That's the situation, that's the role I was in, that's the way it happened." -quoted in Calgary Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad