Bettman Special announcement @ 11 this morning from Ottawa

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
Novelty is nowhere near close to being worn off. They making so much money off these events. They really should do more per year to be honest. One for every canada team,northeast, and the Midwest per season. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Novelty is nowhere near close to being worn off. They making so much money off these events. They really should do more per year to be honest. One for every canada team,northeast, and the Midwest per season. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think it' unfair some get 2 points decided in an event like that while others don't. If Detroit was in the playoff race, and ultimately missed by 1 or 2 points against a team like the Bruins who didn't play outdoors, is unfair.

Especially considering the ice is usually pretty bad, they delay games, sun in your eyes, the puck bounces a lot which skilled teams will be at a disadvantage etc.

Everyone should play an out door game, or no one should IMO.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think it' unfair some get 2 points decided in an event like that while others don't. If Detroit was in the playoff race, and ultimately missed by 1 or 2 points against a team like the Bruins who didn't play outdoors, is unfair.

Especially considering the ice is usually pretty bad, they delay games, sun in your eyes, the puck bounces a lot which skilled teams will be at a disadvantage etc.

Everyone should play an out door game, or no one should IMO.

The ice sucks ass in almost every NHL arena, does it really matter that the NHL sucks ass during an outdoor game too?

It's my biggest gripe about the product. Want to increase scoring, make the game better? Improve the ice.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm excited for their first sell out ever. Should be a good game. I wonder what the record is for the longest time it took an expansion team to get it's first sell out???

Ottawa's on 25 years and they still haven't sold out. Like you said, it would be cool to have a sellout for once.

it was a joke try not to sound so salty

Won't be many ticket for Habs fans my guess less then 500.

have you seen an Ottawa crowd before? Even in the playoffs when they limited the amount of tickets sold in Quebec it was still around 25% Habs fans

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

have you seen an Ottawa crowd before? Even in the playoffs when they limited the amount of tickets sold in Quebec it was still around 25% Habs fans

Alternative facts are still alive and well I see. But I will digress and let people who were at the playoff games between Ottawa and Montreal in Ottawa actually comment on the Habs crowd size.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

I remember the playoff games somewhat. Were the 25 percent Habs fans just being gracious guests and joining in when this was happening?

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
They're awful, the novelty wore off fast. You couldn't pay me to sit in a football/baseball stadium in winter to watch a hockey game that looks a mile away.

What would be cool is to play an NHL game on some pristine frozen lake or pond. It would be a TV event - put up some temporary bleachers for a thousand fans.

Hundred dollars and free tickets ??

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Maybe the novelty has worn off for Penguins fans, but ottawa's only had one, and it was in Vancouver. It's about time. St Louis hosted one before us, and we actually play on ODRs in this city!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Yawn.

The outdoor stuff lost my interest several years ago, but they keep coming back to it so I guess there is still money to be made.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
I remember the playoff games somewhat. Were the 25 percent Habs fans just being gracious guests and joining in when this was happening?

Go watch the Dale Weise OT goal in game 3(2015) you can tell by the reaction there were a lot of habs fan.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Won't be many ticket for Habs fans my guess less then 500.

I'll be living in Ottawa for the next 2 years, and I am a Hab fan. There are tons of Hab fans in Ottawa and in Ontario as a whole. This will not really affect many of us. There are also many ways around these kind of regional stipulations, coming from personal experience.

You will still see a sizable presence of Canadiens' fans, regardless of any regional stipulations put on by the Sens org.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Looking forward to watching this, hopefully habs fans own that place.

There are enough habs fans in the 613 area code to make a sizeable dent. Factor in stub hub sales too, we're golden.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'll be living in Ottawa for the next 2 years, and I am a Hab fan. There are tons of Hab fans in Ottawa and in Ontario as a whole. This will not really affect many of us. There are also many ways around these kind of regional stipulations, coming from personal experience.

You will still see a sizable presence of Canadiens' fans, regardless of any regional stipulations put on by the Sens org.

Sens season ticket holders get priority #1
Red Blacks season ticket holders get priority #2
Sens season ticket holders get priority #3 to buy extra
Red Blacks season ticket holders get priority #4 to buy extra

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Go watch the Dale Weise OT goal in game 3(2015) you can tell by the reaction there were a lot of habs fan.

And listen to the cheering for any of the Sens goals in game 5 at the Bell Centre in 2015. Sens fans must have had at least a 25 percent presence in that building with the clearly audible cheering that occurred :)

55sensfan

Apr 24, 2012
Of course, what is lost in all of this is the significance of this game.

This will be the NHL 100th anniversary game, within a few days of the exact anniversary of the NHL's first game also played between the Senators and the Canadiens. Also, a Stanley Cup monument will be unveiled in downtown Ottawa as part of the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup. The monument will be placed within feet of where the trophy was first presented in the old Russell House Hotel by Lord Stanley in 1892. This will also be part of Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations.

This will not be like the other outdoor games because of all this historic significance.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Of course, what is lost in all of this is the significance of this game.

This will be the NHL 100th anniversary game, within a few days of the exact anniversary of the NHL's first game also played between the Senators and the Canadiens. Also, a Stanley Cup monument will be unveiled in downtown Ottawa as part of the 125th anniversary of the Stanley Cup. The monument will be placed within feet of where the trophy was first presented in the old Russell House Hotel by Lord Stanley in 1892. This will also be part of Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations.

This will not be like the other outdoor games because of all this historic significance.

It's a two point game, same as any other.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
NobleSix

Habs fans coming from montreal will be looking at dropping around $3500 for 2 tickets and a hotel for the night for many that may be to rich for there blood.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Sens season ticket holders get priority #1
Red Blacks season ticket holders get priority #2
Sens season ticket holders get priority #3 to buy extra
Red Blacks season ticket holders get priority #4 to buy extra

So a total of 10 fans will have priority. Cool.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I can't get too down on the idea of outdoor game spectacles. Especially with the historical significance of this one (100th anniversary of NHL, 125 of Cup), it's reasonable to elevate this to a big deal.

I went to the alumni game at Gillette in Foxboro/Boston. The view of game itself was basically pretty bad, and was not an experience I'd want to replicate as someone who enjoys going to a hockey game to see hockey. You can see so much more of the action at 29 out of 30 NHL stadiums. And in the 30th stadium, at least you'll have a partially obstructed view of a Honda Ridgeline.

But all that said, I wasn't at the alumni game to really see hockey. I lowered my expectations appropriately for the game itself. It was about the spectacle, the "fan experience", the tailgating, the fan fest, the random cover band in the parking lot singing "Good Vibrations", making a silly hockey card with gloves that have been worn by hundreds of people before you, etc. If you think of it as entertainment, and not sports...if you step back and allow yourself to focus on the non-game elements, it's not half bad.

Plus, it's a huge boon to the STHs. I'm not an STH...I was an 11-game plan holder, and they still offered us decent seats. Let's just say that someone I know was very thankful to get the tickets to the actual WC. I was happy to actually have the opportunity to save money by purchasing a game plan, and was pleased to watch the game at home in my comfy chair.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Bettman's special announcement: "I, Gary Bettman, am here today to announce that the game is more exciting than it's ever been, especially in the US sunbelt cities, which is -- as all fans in Saskatchewan and Minnesota will concur -- the most important thing for ice hockey in general. As a great and devoted fan of hockey culture and history since the minute I was born, I believe that ice hockey is the most exciting sport ever, especially when one team shoots the ball... er, I mean puck, into the net, in an arena with an outside temperature of 36 degrees celsius, because, as we all know, it's consistent with hockey culture that the sport be played in June in sub-tropical cities."

"I also want fans to realize how hard I'm working on growing my pension fund-- er, sorry, on growing the game by making important announcements like this. Why, I spent three days writing this speech and flying to Ott-Toe-Wa. That's three days I could have spent doing useless things like preparing for collective bargaining to avoid yet another delay/cancellation of seasons, but as history has proven, it's better to wait until three seconds before the season starts to begin working with the NHLPA on that.

"I also want to announce that, with the support of all 30 NHL GMs (and promises of tax-breaks for each franchise), there will be a new 'Gary Bettman Award', to be awarded annually to the biggest short-term money-earner with no foresight whatsoever for the future condition or integrity of the sport."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00