Bettman Special announcement @ 11 this morning from Ottawa

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hopeful:

They are getting serious about head shots, have relieved as current DoPS personnel, and have hired a new independently ran team.

They are getting serious about the horrific inconsistency of the refereeing. They will start calling obstruction again.

They are ending the goofy outdoor stadium series games.

Each team get an extra expansion slot in the upcoming draft and RFAs are exempt.

Likely:

Outdoor game featuring the Blackhawks.

Hey everyone, we have a new team. I wanna introduce the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Big deal. Another out door game. As a fan, they are the worst to watch from your seats. Can't see anything.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Whats the fun of outdoor games when u have like 10 a year and half of them get delayed cause of the sun or something?

Just do one a year and people mightttttt watch.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wanted the game on the Hill, but government officials rejected the proposal over the cost and logistics involved in building an ice surface big enough, not to mention temporary seating for up to 40,000 fans

I know everyone here talked/joked about doing it. But I never guessed Melnyk was actually serious about it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I know everyone here talked/joked about doing it. But I never guessed Melnyk was actually serious about it.

Everyone wanted it to be done so of course he would look into it. Obviously there isn't enough room. You can fit 40,000 smoking on 420 but you can't fit an 80-200ft surface AND THEN have 40,000 people around it.

Good on him for checking if it was feasible though.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ottawa will at least be able to sell out a game for once.

I'm excited for their first sell out ever. Should be a good game. I wonder what the record is for the longest time it took an expansion team to get it's first sell out???

Ottawa's on 25 years and they still haven't sold out. Like you said, it would be cool to have a sellout for once.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm excited for their first sell out ever. Should be a good game. I wonder what the record is for the longest time it took an expansion team to get it's first sell out???

Ottawa's on 25 years and they still haven't sold out. Like you said, it would be cool to have a sellout for once.

I thought they sold out every time they played the leafs.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
You know, I'm one of those that think the novelty of outdoor games has worn. In the beginning it was great and it truly was a league wide event.

However I think this is still an event for the city involved and we shouldn't really be too down on it. If you are a fan in a city that's hosting an outdoor game it would be a great thing to attend and see. So, while it may seem just like "any other game" on game day for the rest of the leagues fans, the ones involved will truly enjoy it, with or without our "disgruntled fan's" approval.

I won't watch it but I hope the fans who are involved in this and still enjoy outdoor games in the general sense will continue to have a ball.

Who am I to say what is and isn't fun/enjoyable to others.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
They're awful, the novelty wore off fast. You couldn't pay me to sit in a football/baseball stadium in winter to watch a hockey game that looks a mile away.

What would be cool is to play an NHL game on some pristine frozen lake or pond. It would be a TV event - put up some temporary bleachers for a thousand fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad