Bettman: NHL wants to make another world cup, players Association seems to have no interest

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Misleading statement. Ovechkin was never given the option to choose between the Olympics and the Cup. His current NHL deal was signed back when the league was fully committed to Olympic participation (2008).
Ovechkin was told he could retire from the NHL/play in the KHL and the Olympics, and he chose not to

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The last World Cup did not stir the same excitement for me.
I actually didn't even watch the final game.
The Team North America young guns team was super fun but it completely gutted the best on best country concept that these events are based around.

I wasn't as in to how Canada did because of the Candian's and or Jets that were on Team North America.

If they do another World Cup I think it has to be best on best with out the T.N.A. squad. (as much as I did enjoy watching them play)

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Ovechkin was told he could retire from the NHL/play in the KHL and the Olympics, and he chose not to

Link? Because that's blatantly false.

Leonsis told Ovechkin he could temporarily leave the Caps to play at the 2018 games (if it was possible), but you're on a different planet if you think Leonsis would have allowed Ovechkin to retire to the KHL to play.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
To be fair, I suppose NHL retirement was an option for Ovechkin. He could have unilaterally chose that option.
However that would have required him to sit out 3 full seasons, meaning his retirement would have needed to be enacted in 2014, back when the NHL was still participating at the Olympics.

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Link? Because that's blatantly false.

Leonsis told Ovechkin he could temporairly leave the Caps to play in 2018, if possible, but you're on a different planet if you think Leonsis would have allowed Ovechkin to retire to the KHL to play.
I recall the rumor, and I thought he could retire and play, I'll be wrong if that's not allowed (don't really care)

It makes no difference to my view that best-on-best is what matters, and it doesn't have to be the Olympics (and to me Olympic big ice hockey is boring), & the current status of the World Cup connects to the CBA negotiations not the NHLPA caring about the Olympics (I don't believe the majority of the PA cares about international play)

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I just checked wiki, and Canada played "Europe" in the Final?

How gimmicky can you get?

And I also noticed how this tournament gets played once every 8 or 12 years. LOL. What a clown show.

Reactions: Faterson

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
How much did the last World cup bring in?

Enough to even make a dent on Escrow? And wouldn't it go towards the cap calculation? If so, the players will increase it even more and still get hit with escrow

Off-hand, I don't know the # of games, but I think each team played 6-8 games. As a guesstimate - let's say 8 games each, which would mean 32 games played, and I believe ball of those were in stronger hockey markets with good ticket prices. I do remember ESPN paid for the TV rights, and add in Merch sales, and your probably looking at about 50M+, half of which would be considered HRR. (Note- have no idea about other sponsorships).

Since escrow is in relation to your salary, the highly paid stars who are most likely participating would see the biggest lift.

At the end of the day, the players had the option to go to the Olympics and chose not to (they just had to waive the CBA opening clause they had). If they do reopen the CBA, I am sure that Olympic involvement will be a key point that the PA will want. And like any negotiation ever, the NHL will try to get something they want in return.

I just wonder if this is a hill the PA is willing to die on considering that only about 25% of NHL players will participate. Of course, it is the star players and they seem to drive the bus in the PA from a strategic direction perspective.

Last edited:

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I just wonder if this is a hill the PA is willing to die on considering that only about 25% of NHL players will participate. Of course, it is the star players and they seem to drive the bus in the PA from a strategic direction perspective.

It's that many players? Really? 1 out of every 4 players makes an Olympic team?

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
It's that many players? Really? 1 out of every 4 players makes an Olympic team?
I seem to rember that circa 22/23 % of the players in the NHL are european. If that is true, since pretty much every european player that makes the NHL has very legitimate chances to make the olympic roster at one point in their careers, 25 % is probably an underestimation. The players that have a real chance to be called for an olympic, and so that could be interested in having a deal in place, may be much higher than 25 %.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I seem to rember that circa 22/23 % of the players in the NHL are european. If that is true, since pretty much every european player that makes the NHL has very legitimate chances to make the olympic roster at one point in their careers, 25 % is probably an underestimation. The players that have a real chance to be called for an olympic, and so that could be interested in having a deal in place, may be much higher than 25 %.
34% of all European NHLers come from one country (Sweden); do you think the a majority of the 85 Swedish players will make an Olympic roster over their career?

Currently there's 85 Swedish NHLers, 47 come from Finland, 38 from Russia and 36 from the Czech Republic & 10 other countries combine for 45 players Active NHL Players Totals by Nationality - Career Stats

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
34% of all European NHLers come from one country (Sweden); do you think the a majority of the 85 Swedish players will make an Olympic roster over their career?

Currently there's 85 Swedish NHLers, 47 come from Finland, 38 from Russia and 36 from the Czech Republic & 10 other countries combine for 45 players Active NHL Players Totals by Nationality - Career Stats

Yeah, I don't think anywhere close to 1 out of every 4 NHL players makes an Olympic team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
NHL should start 3 weeks earlier then the Worlds could have all the best players except a few from the Finals

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I recall the rumor, and I thought he could retire and play, I'll be wrong if that's not allowed (don't really care)

It makes no difference to my view that best-on-best is what matters, and it doesn't have to be the Olympics (and to me Olympic big ice hockey is boring), & the current status of the World Cup connects to the CBA negotiations not the NHLPA caring about the Olympics (I don't believe the majority of the PA cares about international play)

My issue isn't your point of view, everybody is entitled to one.
My point was to correct a blatantly false statement on your part.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The merchandise about this tournament is a joke. Most of it was on clearance shortly after people stopped buying it. It doesn't have an impact like the Olympics. The gimmick teams don't work after a while...
Makes pro athletes play even more games in a year.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
My point was to correct a blatantly false statement on your part.
So players aren't allowed to retire (before their NHL contract expires) from the NHL/play in the KHL (and Olympics) anymore? Isn't that what players like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk did?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Too many suits and ties making hockey decisions. Let them back in the Olympics.
The players wear suit and ties too, and those players thought the CBA negotiations were worth missing the Olympics over...do you think the CBA is so bad for the players they were right and missing the Olympics was worth being able to renegotiate sooner?

I honestly didn't think there was anything remotely problematic enough for NHLers that they'd give up the Olympics over it, but that's not how it worked out (I think the player's leader/Fehr probably cares less about intentional play and more about money than anyone else involved om either side)

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
The players wear suit and ties too, and those players thought the CBA negotiations were worth missing the Olympics over...do you think the CBA is so bad for the players they were right and missing the Olympics was worth being able to renegotiate sooner?

I honestly didn't think there was anything remotely problematic enough for NHLers that they'd give up the Olympics over it, but that's not how it worked out (I think the player's leader/Fehr probably cares less about intentional play and more about money than anyone else involved om either side)

I'm sorry you don't get the slang "suits & ties". I forget some people are so disconnected and uncultured from society. My apologies.

Last edited:

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo

I did not say that they will make it, I said that they have a very good chance in making it at one point.
To be "touched" by the olympic discussion are not just the players that do make an olympic roster, but all the players that think they may make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad