Bettman Floats The Idea Of Ice Hockey At Summer Olympics?

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Yes, but at the same time it gives others not usually good at the summer olympics a competition to win.

I don’t think it would work but I wouldn’t mind it really.

There are only so many countries that play hockey, far less than what play soccer and they'd still have to qualify.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
There are only so many countries that play hockey, far less than what play soccer and they'd still have to qualify.

I know that, still countries that are better at winter sports (like Canada) will now have something to watch where they have a high chance of winning.

The summer Olympics are where the big bucks are at, the NHL prefers it for that reason as well. Good place to promote the game.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
I know that, still countries that are better at winter sports (like Canada) will now have something to watch where they have a high chance of winning.

The summer Olympics are where the big bucks are at, the NHL prefers it for that reason as well. Good place to promote the game.

I see your point but I just think it would get overshadowed by the two more popular team sports. Want to have a larger World Cup of Hockey tournament sometime in the summer in a non Olympic year? I'd be all for that.

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC
I see your point but I just think it would get overshadowed by the two more popular team sports. Want to have a larger World Cup of Hockey tournament sometime in the summer in a non Olympic year? I'd be all for that.

World Cup of hockey unfortunately is a joke. I can’t see it growing past what it is now which is a farce.

The chance that the summer Olympics bring to grow the sport of hockey is immense. The Winter Olympics while great and all, are a side show. The Summer Olympics are a great choice if it works out. While it would be behind the other sports like basketball and soccer I still think it will one of the most watched events because of how foreign it will be at first to nations not use to it. Not to mention that this would also benefit the IOC as another massive fan base now will be watching the summer Olympics more often.

Not to mention that this will make the Winter Olympics more palletable for host nations as they will not have to build an arena (unless of course women’s hockey stays which likely wouldn’t happen.)

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
World Cup of hockey unfortunately is a joke. I can’t see it growing past what it is now which is a farce.

The chance that the summer Olympics bring to grow the sport of hockey is immense. The Winter Olympics while great and all, are a side show. The Summer Olympics are a great choice if it works out. While it would be behind the other sports like basketball and soccer I still think it will one of the most watched events because of how foreign it will be at first to nations not use to it. Not to mention that this would also benefit the IOC as another massive fan base now will be watching the summer Olympics more often.

Not to mention that this will make the Winter Olympics more palletable for host nations as they will not have to build an arena (unless of course women’s hockey stays which likely wouldn’t happen.)

Has Handball at the Summer Olympics been one of the most watched events in the US because of how foreign it is? I doubt it.

Most likely hockey will simply be overshadowed by all the other sports going on at the same time. I also think that the IOC would rather move some sports from the Summer Olympics to the Winter to have it a bit more balanced, so I doubt they would want a sport move the other way.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
The Summer games are usually in late July or sometime in August, that would shorten the offseason for the NHL players that participated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think one arena for basketball + hockey could work, there would be too many games in the preliminary round for both sports in one arena to handle I think. Though I could be wrong.

You'd have basketball go in the morning/afternoon and then hockey in the evening? I guess maaaaaybe this ...

12 PM - Basketball Game 1
3 PM - Basketball Game 2
7 PM - Hockey Game 1
10:30 PM - Hockey Game 2

?

That ice would probably be pure crap by the end of the tourney lol.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think one arena for basketball + hockey could work, there would be too many games in the preliminary round for both sports in one arena to handle I think. Though I could be wrong.

You'd have basketball go in the morning/afternoon and then hockey in the evening? I guess maaaaaybe this ...

12 PM - Basketball Game 1
3 PM - Basketball Game 2
7 PM - Hockey Game 1
10:30 PM - Hockey Game 2

?

That ice would probably be pure crap by the end of the tourney lol.
If a city like Toronto ever bid for the Summer Olympics, at least they could put Hockey and Basketball events on in two different areas. For example the Air Canada Centre could host the Hockey events and the Ricoh Coliseum could host the Basketball events.

So what are some American cities who could possibly do that?

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
There is a lot more interesting shit going on in the Summer Olympics than Winter ones. If it is against soccer or track and field or swimming or basically anything but maybe archery, the numbers are not going to be good.

If people were unhappy with attendance in SK, they are going to love the numbers hockey can attract in August in Brazil, when actual Summer Olympic sports are going on at the same time.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
There is a long list of sports trying to get into the Summer Olympics. Baseball is back for 2020, in large part because Tokyo is hosting it, after being removed. It was removed in part becaise MBL refused to release their players. This is what's going to happen unless the NHL decides to go. Except hockey won't be removed. Baseball will return to 2020 Olympics in Tokyo

Ask sports: Why did baseball get dropped from the Olympics?

IOC has also capped the participating sports of the summer olympics at 28 and there is always a que of sports wanting to get in. For IOC to give a highly coveted place to one of the oldest winter sports is just not going to happen. You need to divide this into two parts:

1. Should it happen, ease of NHL players participating, 'best on best' etc. No, but possibly with a small maybe.

2. Will it happen? Nope, never. Absolutely not. IOC does not care about the NHL (see MBL). I doubt that even the US or Canadian delegates would care to fight for it. The european delegates, who are a powerful block of votes, certainly won't.

That Bettman is actually floating an idea he must know is impossible show that the NHL do want to participate but on their own terms. It's strange, all the issues the NHL has, insurance, broadcasting rights etc will remain. The one thing remaining is shutting down the league for two weeks, eg all-star game and bye week. There will actually be a higher danger of injury when player's aren't in shape. Tavares would still be injured and unavailable to the Islander whether he played in February or in July.

Reactions: Jon Riley

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That Bettman is actually floating an idea he must know is impossible show that the NHL do want to participate but on their own terms. It's strange, all the issues the NHL has, insurance, broadcasting rights etc will remain. The one thing remaining is shutting down the league for two weeks, eg all-star game and bye week. There will actually be a higher danger of injury when player's aren't in shape. Tavares would still be injured and unavailable to the Islander whether he played in February or in July.
I realize the most recent World Cup of Hockey was put on and run by the NHL, however when they talk about players possibly getting injured at the Olympics did they or the Los Angeles Kings care that Marian Gaborik was injured during their tournament and missed the next 8 weeks. So it's hypocritical to complain about player injures during an Olympics and basically not care if it happens during an event operated by the NHL.

Reactions: mjlee

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure how excited the Players would be to go but as a fan this is a great idea.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty certain that the IOC would rather keep the only real team sport, and premier event, of the Winter Olympics, at the Winter Olympics. NHL players or not. Hockey would be what, maybe the 5th most prestigious event at the Summers? 10th?
Bettman's obvious posturing is obvious.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Winter Olympics have never been help in the Southern Hemisphere. Get New Zealand to host them... the games would end up being in the winter, their winter, problem solved.

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Has Handball at the Summer Olympics been one of the most watched events in the US because of how foreign it is? I doubt it.

Most likely hockey will simply be overshadowed by all the other sports going on at the same time. I also think that the IOC would rather move some sports from the Summer Olympics to the Winter to have it a bit more balanced, so I doubt they would want a sport move the other way.

Yeah, but does handball have a professional league as big as the NHL

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'd be on board with this. A lot of people hate on the NHL and owners over the Olympics, but something tells me if you had as much at stake as them you'd be against the Olympics as well. If you think the NBA would be sending players if it interrupted their schedule you're out to lunch.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Bettman maybe a joke, but it's not because of the Olympics. The IOC was joke. Here's why in a nutshell:

Normally, the IOC requires each NOC to provide a series of insurances, such has healthcare*, disability, reparation, accidental & liability, and other forms. Not just for the athletes, but also for all in employed in that sports venue at the Olympics.

This is on top of paying all the other expenses of the athletes like housing, food, clothing, trainer equipment and consumables. Plus, the athletes' salaries.

Since the NHL has players representing top countries competing in the sport, the IOC negotiated directly with the NHL, rather than forcing each NOC to do so.

So they asked the NHL to pay for all of the insurances, salaries, etc., not just for the NHL players, but everyone else involved in the sport similar to the requirements they give to the NOCs.

The NHL owners came back and said they wanted to pay certain percentage, and each NOC would need to make of the rest. I said owners here because Bettman doesn't own anything, and it's the owners that are calling the shots.

The IOC said no. The NHL has to provide the players and pay all of the expenses. The NHL owners thought about this and explored the possibility of marketing that they are providing to the Olympics as a means to off-set the costs. The IOC said absolutely no way is the NHL allowed to market anything regarding the Olympics including their funding and providing players.

That meant no Olympic rings and words like "Sponsor" on the NHL boards, or in the ice. Something the NHL saw value in.

Also, the Players Union wanted the NHL to guarantee player contracts in the situation that players are injured at the Olympics.

That sealed the fate. Of course, no player was forced to not participate in the Olympics. Each player had a choice that was risky due to contractual obligations and losing their remaining pay if they were injured at the Olympics.

Of course, Ovechkin thought this over in the end, and decided not to participate. That was probably his only chance to win a gold medal since the Canadian NHL players were not there.

* Keep in mind that Olympic athletes are voracious consumers of healthcare. Far more than the average person. The healthcare insurer for USA was/is Blue Cross who has a large base of subscribers to average out that voracious consumption by athletes. The NHL does not.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

The fallacy in this thinking is that hockey is the best sport in the world so once people see it they will flock to it unless they're to dumb.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Recovery time for players would be pretty short. So many surgeries etc after the playoffs are done and players always try to get ready for the next year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad