Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner or Petterson/Hughes?

Better pair to build around: Matthews/Marner, or Petterson/Hughes?

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews/Marner even with D being a more valuable position. Hughes doesn't provide good defense anyway, makes it an easier choice.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Matthews is the best player here, at the moment, but I could see that change as soon as next season. Petterson's potential is next-level and he still has so much growing to do. Hughes, on the other hand, is the kind of elite talent you rarely see in a young defenseman and I have a feeling he'll be a perennial Norris contender (along with other elite young defensemen like Dahlin, Makar, etc.).

I'll take my chances with the Canucks pair. That said, if you were a GM, you'd be ecstatic with either duo.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Matthews and Marner AINEC.

They're two top-10 players in the NHL, as opposed to two guys are NOT in the top-10. Easy choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignite111

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll take the franchise D/ franchise C combo.
Marner is a great winger but just not as critical to building a team as the Center and D positions.

Reactions: mouz135

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Matthews and Marner AINEC.

They're two top-10 players in the NHL, as opposed to two guys are NOT in the top-10. Easy choice.
Marner is nowhere close to being a top 10 player in the NHL and Matthews is arguable.

Leaving your Leafs bias aside, would you honestly take Marner over:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
Draisaitl
Hedman
Matthews
Kane
Panarin
Marchand
Pastrnak
Eichel
Barkov

And that's just 15 players off the top of my head, without listing names like Carlsson, Josi, Stamkos, Stone, Couturier, Bergeron, etc.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Pettersson will be the best talent out of these 4 players and then you take the importance of positional value and its the Canucks duo you build around.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marner is nowhere close to being a top 10 player in the NHL and Matthews is arguable.

Leaving your Leafs bias aside, would you honestly take Marner over:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Kucherov
Malkin
Draisaitl
Hedman
Matthews
Kane
Panarin
Marchand
Pastrnak
Eichel
Barkov

And that's just 15 players off the top of my head, without listing names like Carlsson, Josi, Stamkos, Stone, Couturier, Bergeron, etc.

Yup. I'd take 90+ point, 22 year old Marner over old man Crosby at this point, and Malkin, Kane, Panarin, Marchand, and Eichel.

Marner's already had one 94 point season, and paced for 93 points this year. The sky is the limit with this kid. You listed some great players obviously, but I take the kid with the unbelievably high ceiling over all the old geriatrics you(and I) mentioned(and Eichel too)!!

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Yup. I'd take 90+ point, 22 year old Marner over old man Crosby at this point, and Malkin, Kane, Panarin, Marchand, and Eichel.

Marner's already had one 94 point season, and paced for 93 points this year. The sky is the limit with this kid. You listed some great players obviously, but I take the kid with the unbelievably high ceiling over all the old geriatrics I mentioned(and Eichel too)!!
But potential doesn't make you one of the 10 best players in the NHL, at least not yet. Old man Crosby had 100 points last season and finished 4th in Selke voting. If I'm going into a playoff series, there's no way I'm picking Marner over Crosby. The same goes for Malkin, Panarin or any of them.

Marner may get there but he's not there yet.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
But potential doesn't make you one of the 10 best players in the NHL, at least not yet. Old man Crosby had 100 points last season and finished 4th in Selke voting. If I'm going into a playoff series, there's no way I'm picking Marner over Crosby. The same goes for Malkin, Panarin or any of them.

Marner may get there but he's not there yet.

....and Marner had 94 points last year and paced for that again this year.

If I'm building a team, there's no way on earth I take those great but OLDER players over Marner at this point. This thread is kind of all about "who do you build around" isn't it?

Anyway......it's okay Buddy. You're just wrong. It happens. :D

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well that didn’t take long. Two fanbases of teams that haven’t had a lot of success recently each dissing the other.
I don’t think either group should be puffing out their chests just yet. Both have some nice pieces but still have a long way to go before they are true contenders. I’d say the Leafs are slightly ahead as they’ve been rebuilding longer but the gap has closed a lot this past year as the standings show.
I think either choice is defensible but prefer the franchise D/Center combo over the franchise wing/Center combo.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hard one. Matthews is the best player but Hughes is coming off an impressive sophomore season. Hard to say if he will eclipse Marner but I could see reason for taking either group. I'll stick with the Leaf guys because I think Matthews will be the best player by a decent margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad