Post-Game Talk (GBU): Better or worse: Rob Ray's elocution or the Sabres record this season?

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
G: Myers playing with and showing emotion. Gorges doing his best backup goalie impression.

B: Playing like you are sitting on a lead after scoring one goal and still behind.

U: Benoit is probably a little past due for "getting a different look at the game" from the press box.

Bps21*

The BSL (buffalo sports law) says we miss out on both Eichel and McDavid yes. But what exactly are the changes again?

Well...20% chance the worst team wins the lottery. 29th team would have a 13.5% chance.

So literally the odds are we'd pick 3rd. 2/3 chance.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
- I can't be arsed to stay up all night anymore to watch mediocre (or bad) hockey

- before the season started, I decided I'd watch the game they won or that seemed interesting "on tape", delayed off NHL Gamecenter

- I've yet to watch a full game this season

- so I guess, on the bright side, it's more that I'm hearing how bad they are instead of seeing it... :dunno:

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
G:
Girgensons amongst this sea of cr*p
We didn't get shutout
LOVED Myers calling out the guy for diving and shoving him...he was SOLID all game long, I love the nastiness from him. He's playing HIS game and he's being tough too...If TM trades him (for anything short of amazing) I'll be heartbroken...
Risto was good...first game I've seen him truly stick out
Effort was really good, this game was definitely watchable
McDavid played at his future home arena tonight
Edmonton won...putting them further away from us..every one counts :)

B:
Perry

U:
We still have 75 games left...probably 60 of those are losses :(

On a side note, I hope we get a win tomorrow or at least take them to OT/shootout so Nolan can beat his Son's team...then again this is very wishful thinking lol

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The BSL (buffalo sports law) says we miss out on both Eichel and McDavid yes. But what exactly are the changes again?

Only changes for this season are the lottery odds. You can still only drop one spot. For 2016, the number of spots selected in the lottery changes. It's the top three picks then, meaning conceivably that the 2nd worst team could drop to the 5th pick.

Here's a link with the details: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Only changes for this season are the lottery odds. You can still only drop one spot. For 2016, the number of spots selected in the lottery changes. It's the top three picks then, meaning conceivably that the 2nd worst team could drop to the 5th pick.

Here's a link with the details: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795

If we finish 29th... We could still win the lottery... Or a team behind us can win it and we would pick third. Jeez

Same as now I guess. But still. Only dead last guarantees a top two pick.

Bps21*

Finish 30th it looks like this:

McDavid- 20%
Eichel- 80%
Neither- 0%

29th is this:

McDavid- 13.5%
Eichel- 20%
Neither- 66.5%

If you're going to be near the bottom...be at the bottom

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

McDavid- 20%
Eichel- 80%
Neither- 0%

29th is this:

McDavid- 13.5%
Eichel- 20%
Neither- 66.5%

But the odds of other teams winning the lottery are so low comparatively... That "66% neither at 29" doesn't seem right...

Bps21*

But they add up. They gouged the top of the draft this year. Last year it was 25% and 18.8%. Now it's 20 and 13.5. They raised a lot of the other odds. Odds of winning from 3 went up actually

Btw...last year they had already lowered what they had been before last year.

If we were 29...the only way to draft 1 is if we hit on the 13.5. The only way to stay 2nd is if the 30th place team wins...which is 20%'likely. Any other result we'd pick 3. And that's every ball that isn't in that 33.5%.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
11 teams passing on Cam Fowler (9 if you exclude Edmonton and Boston for Hall/Seguin)... Criminal in hindsight.

Yes, I know there were talented guys ahead of him selected (Johansen four, Nino, Skinner, Granlund).... But he's so, so good.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
But they add up. They gouged the top of the draft this year. Last year it was 25% and 18.8%. Now it's 20 and 13.5. They raised a lot of the other odds. Odds of winning from 3 went up actually

Right. Wow.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
We gotta be the 30th place team...that's enough said. Not 2nd to last, but absolute LAST. The fact that we end up 29th and the possibility of dropping one spot to 3rd overall would be devastating. We NEED one of McDavid or Eichel. (Preferably McDavid)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

The lottery odds weren't changed last year (not sure whether you mean for the 2014 or 2013 draft, but either way they weren't). What was changed, prior to the 2013 draft, was that there was no longer a rule that the team winning the lottery could only move up 4 spots, which had been the rule before. Before 2013, if any team past the 5th worst won the lottery, the worst team would retain the 1st pick. Meaning that even though there was only a 25% change of the worst team winning the lottery, there was a 48% change of them ending up with the 1st pick.

For the 2013 draft, whichever team won would jump up to number 1. So the lottery odds themselves didn't change, but due to the rule change the effective odds of the worst teams retaining their picks, rather than dropping down, did change.

So this coming year is the first time in a number of years that the actual lottery odds themselves have changed, which is stupid in my opinion (really I don't see any reason not to get rid of the lottery entirely. This isn't the NBA)

Bps21*

Yes...but when I'm speaking about this team I'm speaking about the odds of moving from the top...which have never been worse than last year...and got even worse this year. I don't care what the odds of "winning" the lottery were at the spot...since a team more than 4 spots back winning...was a win too...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Yes...but when I'm speaking about this team I'm speaking about the odds of moving from the top...which have never been worse than last year...and got even worse this year. I don't care what the odds of "winning" the lottery were at the spot...since a team more than 4 spots back winning...was a win too...

Oh, the NHL is certainly making it easier for the teams that just missed the playoffs to get high picks, at the expense of the teams that are truly awful. It couldn't have really come at a worse time for Buffalo. Why not do this when the Sabres were in a perpetual race for the 9th seed rather than when they're bottoming out

Clock

May 13, 2006
I fell asleep on the couch after the first period. Not sure if that's G, B, or U.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Looked like one of these situations where the Ducks didn't show up with their A game, but did enough to win.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Best game they've played this year. If they can play like that and still land McDavid/Eichel, I'll be pleased. We know this team has physical deficiencies, but I think this was what Murray meant by "losing the right way" and "a team we can be proud of". I hope they can pot a few more goals, but overall it was an enjoyable game.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

If we were 29...the only way to draft 1 is if we hit on the 13.5. The only way to stay 2nd is if the 30th place team wins...which is 20%'likely. Any other result we'd pick 3. And that's every ball that isn't in that 33.5%.

Before this the current CBA (2013 draft being the first under it) it was about 50% that you'd draft 1st overall if you were last. The odds of winning the lottery weren't 50%, but since teams could only move up to three spots by winning the lottery, the effect was something like a 48.5% chance of drafting 1st. They've radically altered the dynamics of the system over just a few drafts, and people will still complain. People will complain just as much about how unfair the upcoming 2016 multi-slot system is, as it's going to result in some ridiculousness at some point.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

McDavid- 20%
Eichel- 80%
Neither- 0%

29th is this:

McDavid- 13.5%
Eichel- 20%
Neither- 66.5%

Hopefully, we finish last, and one of the other two firsts (at least) turns into a lottery pick to up the odds a bit more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: