Better offensive upside Rattie or Jaskin?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
a goal is a goal people. Doesn't matter where it's from. And if we have a person who has a knack for garbage goals, I don't know why people are against that. We need someone who can bury em, and that's been jaskin

I don't mind that Jaskin has scored mostly from in close. But if that is the only way he scores, it limits his effectiveness. Hockey is an extremely fluid game, and it helps to be able to score in other ways.

Can he dangle the puck to get away from a defender? Can he use the backhand shot? Does he have a slap shot? Can he shoot the one-timer? I don't know the answers to any of those questions.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't mind that Jaskin has scored mostly from in close. But if that is the only way he scores, it limits his effectiveness. Hockey is an extremely fluid game, and it helps to be able to score in other ways.

Can he dangle the puck to get away from a defender? Can he use the backhand shot? Does he have a slap shot? Can he shoot the one-timer? I don't know the answers to any of those questions.

Holmstrom never scored anywhere but in tight. He seemed to have had a pretty decent career. It can be done.

Jaskin is a much better skater and has a better shot. I'm not worried about him.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its way too early to draw conclusions on Rattie. I remember the early comments about Schwartz, and they were similar to the ones being posted about Rattie. I'm not suggesting that Rattie will be a star. Ultimately, he may not even be an NHL regular, but its way too soon to know.

Can you link to any thread where discussion like that occurred? I don't remember that kind of concern at all. Schwartz was a great player at every level.

There was concern about him being able to win battles muscling on the boards. But I don't remember anyone accusing Schwartz of floating or being concerned that his offensive game won't translate to the NHL very well.

To me, I think Rattie's future is probably as a utility 3rd line player if he can round out his game. I dont' see him ever as a top 6 player. Despite his favorable call-up, where he showed defensive responsibility and took coaching, I think he's still behind Fabbrie and Barbashev.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Can you link to any thread where discussion like that occurred? I don't remember that kind of concern at all. Schwartz was a great player at every level.

There was concern about him being able to win battles muscling on the boards. But I don't remember anyone accusing Schwartz of floating or being concerned that his offensive game won't translate to the NHL very well.

To me, I think Rattie's future is probably as a utility 3rd line player if he can round out his game. I dont' see him ever as a top 6 player. Despite his favorable call-up, where he showed defensive responsibility and took coaching, I think he's still behind Fabbrie and Barbashev.

The discussion was on the Blues talk forum. Many people on that forum were unimpressed with Schwartz in his first year with the Blues and some wanted him sent to the minors for more work.

I didn't post on this forum back then, but I expect that similar comments were made here. Unfortunately, some fans give up on a guy after ten games or so.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

In the 2012-2013 season, Schwartz played 45 games with the Blues, and scored 7 goals and had six assists. I'm pretty sure that was the stretch when many fans thought he wasn't going to amount to much.

Rattie may not be a regular player in the NHL, but its too soon to write him off.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
In the 2012-2013 season, Schwartz played 45 games with the Blues, and scored 7 goals and had six assists. I'm pretty sure that was the stretch when many fans thought he wasn't going to amount to much.

Rattie may not be a regular player in the NHL, but its too soon to write him off.

No argument here, but the timing with his rights and waiver exemption may force the issue. Fabbri and Barbashev playing up to their projected level may seal his fate.

I really expect a career a lot more like Palushaj than Boyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad