Better offensive upside Rattie or Jaskin?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jaskin, IMO. He has the size and physical play to create more room more himself, go to the net and get rebounds, and establish himself as a 30-goal, 50-60 point power forward.

Rattie still has potential but I think he looks more hit or miss. Possibly a 25-goal, 50 point guy, but I don't see him becoming a whole lot more than that.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Recognizing its super early for both players....Jaskin. His development from last season to this season has been a revelation. 13 goals in 54 games with a shade over 13 min/gm. He earned the trust of the coaching staff in short order and has run with the opportunity. He's become a regular on the second PP unit.

Rattie may pan out, has a knack for finding open areas at lower levels. Jaskin is becoming a player that creates his own space. His style of play is basically everything you'd want out of Berglund offensively, and I still think Jaskin's mentality is focused heavily towards making the safest play possible. As he gets more minutes and freedom...I don't know....I just have a good feeling we've got a 20-25 goal guy lurking on that third line soon......

pjOn1.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think that Jaškin will be a better scorer than most of us thought, and that Rattie will not be able to translate his high lower-league goal scoring to The NHL as well as we all had hoped early. I think he may end up as a 17-23 goal scorer, 40-45 point scorer, who is slightly below average on defence, and a below average forechecker. Jaškin, on the other hand, is looking like he may be a good power forward, who can score 25-30 goals, and 50-55 points, and be somewhat of a difference maker.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Recognizing its super early for both players....Jaskin. His development from last season to this season has been a revelation. 13 goals in 54 games with a shade over 13 min/gm. He earned the trust of the coaching staff in short order and has run with the opportunity. He's become a regular on the second PP unit.

Rattie may pan out, has a knack for finding open areas at lower levels. Jaskin is becoming a player that creates his own space. His style of play is basically everything you'd want out of Berglund offensively, and I still think Jaskin's mentality is focused heavily towards making the safest play possible. As he gets more minutes and freedom...I don't know....I just have a good feeling we've got a 20-25 goal guy lurking on that third line soon......

pjOn1.gif

Completely unrelated, but imagine your the guy with the camera for that gif and how much at that moment you would be thinking that Satan was sending you a message.

Oh, and I'll lean Jaskins way.

byfuglien

Mar 23, 2014
Europe
Talented he is, but Rattie has been garbage in the the NHL so far, while Jaskin has established himself as a NHL'er if nothing more. Easy call here, Jaskin all the way.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Talented he is, but Rattie has been garbage in the the NHL so far, while Jaskin has established himself as a NHL'er if nothing more. Easy call here, Jaskin all the way.

"Garbage" is a bit harsh. Anyone who can even play a few games in The NHL is a good hockey player. I think Jaškin will be a more effective NHLer than Rattie. But, I think that Rattie will have a future career as, at LEAST, a regular 3rd liner. That's not "garbage".

Rattie has held his own in all zones, has not been a liability on defence, and has only played a few games in the bigger, faster, harder-hitting league. He needs to play enough games to get used to it, and adapt to the different level. He's going to get significantly stronger (if he works hard at it -which he should). He has the opportunity to fail or succeed based on his motivation. I wouldn't write him off at this point.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I think Jaskin will annually be around the 20 goal mark. Rattie reminds me a lot of Lee Stempniak. Hopefully, the offensive on switch will come on soon. I say that in you really don't even realize he is on the ice until he scores or gets on the scoresheet. Nothing stands out. Right now, he's finishing his checks, looks and plays the part, but nothing dazzles me about him.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Too soon to tell.

Jaskin's offense has mostly come from right in front of the goal. Can he dangle? I've never seen it from him. Does he use the slap shot? I can't remember him using it, but maybe he does.

Rattie seems to be playing very conservatively, trying not to make mistakes. He'll score one of these days, get confidence, and open up some.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Ty Rattie.

I'm not convinced about Jaskin as more than a third liner.

Does anyone else remember a 6' 5" winger who potted 13 goals for the Blues with 12 - 13 minutes a night in 50 - 60 games?

I believe he went by Brad Winchester... and he didn't get to play with a playmaker like Stastny.

With that said, I believe they can compliment each other's playing style, with Rattie finding the quiet ice to rip shots on net while Jaskin crashes the crease for rebounds.

(But don't listen to me, I thought Backes would be the worst of the kid line.)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
It's kind of like comparing Schwartz and Tarasenko in a way.

Tarasenko(rattie in this case) has more potential to be an elite sniper. But Schwartz (Jaskin in this case) has more potential to be a really good two way winger. maybe not a 35 goal a year sniper but a 25-30 goal guy who goes to the net and scores garbage goals and physically hounds other teams.I know schwartz isn't physical but the reason i made the schwartz/tank comparison is the whole pure offense vs two way comparable which it think rattie/jaskin is debatewise.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Ty Rattie.

Does anyone else remember a 6' 5" winger who potted 13 goals for the Blues with 12 - 13 minutes a night in 50 - 60 games?

I believe he went by Brad Winchester... and he didn't get to play with a playmaker like Stastny.

With that said, I believe they can compliment each other's playing style, with Rattie finding the quiet ice to rip shots on net while Jaskin crashes the crease for rebounds.

This is an absolute joke.

I mean the difference between Jaskin and winchester is night and day. Jaskin is much better skater, has wayyyy better hands and offensive I.Q and much higher hockey sense generally.... Winchester was big, slow and had a nice wrister.... but we knew his ceiling was to be a 4th line winger with a big shot. Also WINCHESTER WAS 29 YEARS OLD AT THAT TIME..... JASKIN IS 22!!!!!

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

To be fair, Jaskin had his fair share of struggles last season.

Its going to be an uphill battle for Rattie to find a spot on a scoring line in STL next season with our Top 9 under contract (Tarasenko is RFA, but close enough). And there are two talented youngesters in Barbashev and Fabbri right behind him. Im not sure I see where Rattie fits long term with the Blues.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Rattie is a little more offensively talented but IMO, Jaskin's better intangibles will allow him to utilize his talent more so I go with Jaskin.

I suppose that's a fancy way of saying what others have said - that Rattie has slightly higher offensive potential but Jaskin is more likely to reach his potential. :)

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I might be in a minority here, but I've never liked Ty Rattie. One-dimensional soft floater with a nose for the net. Reminds me of Brad Boyes. Somebody posted in another thread that he will lose his waiver exempt status soon, which tells me he should be packaged in a deal fairly soon. Our depth on wing will likely prevent him from becoming a regular before we lose him on waivers.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I might be in a minority here, but I've never liked Ty Rattie. One-dimensional soft floater with a nose for the net. Reminds me of Brad Boyes. Somebody posted in another thread that he will lose his waiver exempt status soon, which tells me he should be packaged in a deal fairly soon. Our depth on wing will likely prevent him from becoming a regular before we lose him on waivers.
Even though I picked Jaskin, I don't really see that in Rattie. I guess the potential for him to do that is there since posters on here have reported him doing that in Chicago, but I'm actually impressed with how much more engaged he actually is than the reports say. To me, he's been a lot more physical than I expected, and he doesn't look scared or anything out there. I'm happy with that. I think after his second callup, as well as his third one, he's looked like a more hard-working, almost gritty player than a guy like Boyes.

We very well may not have room for Rattie, and if we don't I won't lose that much sleep over it because I believe Jaskin, Fabbri and even Barbashev will all be better. However, I think it's important to point out that Jaskin had 3 points in his first 26 NHL games. It really wasn't until his 4th time up here that he started making an impact. Rattie currently has 2 in his first 13 (on pace for 4 in 26). So, pretty similar. I wouldn't give up on the guy just yet, although obviously Jaskin's size and physicality have given him more value even when he's not scoring.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I just don't see the upside in Rattie. I haven't noticed any of the offensive instincts, a good shot ( does he have more than 5 SOG since he's been up?). He seems like he would need to be a stationary, one-timer type of scorer.
He reminds me a lot of Ott for some reason, in his overall game, only less tenacious and physical.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
ive soured on rattie since the last call up. Nothing wrong w his play, just nothing remarkable, and when we score a goal and the camera pans to the bench Ty rattie does resemble that llama. He has all the enthusiasm of a light pack animal ready to ascend to unknown heights.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Jaskin lives on the goal line. He lives on the goal line. That is all I have to say.

edit: this is PRO Jaskin

Last edited:

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
a goal is a goal people. Doesn't matter where it's from. And if we have a person who has a knack for garbage goals, I don't know why people are against that. We need someone who can bury em, and that's been jaskin

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Ty Rattie.

Are you really comparing a just turned 22 year old to a 27 year old depth free agent signing? To be fair they both do have size and were drafted in the 2nd round, but I think that's about where the similarities end. There is no way Winchester could pull off a Jaskin wrap around :sarcasm:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ty Rattie.

Winchester was like 27 or 28, Jaskin was 21 for most of this season... Not really the same situation.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I just don't see the upside in Rattie. I haven't noticed any of the offensive instincts, a good shot ( does he have more than 5 SOG since he's been up?). He seems like he would need to be a stationary, one-timer type of scorer.
He reminds me a lot of Ott for some reason, in his overall game, only less tenacious and physical.

Its way too early to draw conclusions on Rattie. I remember the early comments about Schwartz, and they were similar to the ones being posted about Rattie. I'm not suggesting that Rattie will be a star. Ultimately, he may not even be an NHL regular, but its way too soon to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad