Better Hybrid: OV/Datsyuk or Crosby/McDavid?

Better Hybrid?

• Total voters

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
that may be the case but people always seem to forget the type of offence Bruce ran. it was run and gun and when you have a talent of OV's caliber, why on earth would you have him play defence in that type of offense.

look at when Trotz came in, he asked OV to be better defensively while maintain his goal-scoring, and while OV is no stout on D, he has certainly improved and showed effort

people just love to make blind statements without context. OV has always listened to his coaches. i guarantee you if Trotz was the coach from 07-10, OV would have had more defensive responsibilty

Sure it made sense to give him free reign, whether he took it upon himself or not to play that way, I am simply pointing out that Crosby provided more value to his team because he was producing as much while also contributing defensively.

At their peak offensive production, OV in 09/10 and Crosby in 10/11 and 2013, Crosby was also contributing a much higher % of his team's offence.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Sure it made sense to give him free reign, whether he took it upon himself or not to play that way, I am simply pointing out that Crosby provided more value to his team because he was producing as much while also contributing defensively.
he did and still does. however his position warrants more of a defensive game than wingers.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
he did and still does. however his position warrants more of a defensive game than wingers.

So why wouldn't a player who has the ability to produce at a league best pace while contributing defensively hold a higher value?

And this doesn't change the fact that OV was notably not playing defense let alone what his position required him to.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
So why wouldn't a player who has the ability to produce at a league best pace while contributing defensively hold a higher value?

And this doesn't change the fact that OV was notably not playing defense let alone what his position required him to.
because OV's offensive game was so great that it more than made up for his lack of defence. he titled the ice for his team when he was on it, moreso than crosby imo

no it doesn't, that's why Datsyuk is in this poll:confused:

i see where this is going so this is gonna be my last response

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Crosby lead the league in goals and in GPG and has lead the league by a more significant margin in both points and PPG.

Both are very similar offensively at their peaks, the difference is Crosby was able to contribute defensively while OV was given free reign to cheat on defense.

Crosby has never led the league in pts and goals (or PPG and GPG) in a full season so I don't know where this is coming from.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
because OV's offensive game was so great that it more than made up for his lack of defence. he titled the ice for his team when he was on it, moreso than crosby imo

no it doesn't, that's why Datsyuk is in this poll:confused:

i see where this is going so this is gonna be my last response

So why didn't he have a more dominant season production-wise than Crosby? Seems like an empty claim when the stats don't back it up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ovi-Datsyuk would be incredibly fun to watch but Sid-McDavid would be a better overall hockey player

I don't think so. The thing about Datsyuk-Ovi, is each of them possess the skills the other doesn't. Dats is undersized; Ovi is a bull. Dats didn't have the greatest one-timer; Ovi... Ovi has good hands, but not crazy good hands; Dats...

Any flaw one player has, the other is/was arguably the best in the league at. They'd make more/less a perfect player.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
That depends on how they are used. Good defensive skills can lead to points as well.

It depends, in Ovechkin’s case, he spent practically 80% of his time either in the offensive or the neutral zone under Boudreau so it’s a pretty good assumption.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
So why didn't he have a more dominant season production-wise than Crosby? Seems like an empty claim when the stats don't back it up.
It’s proven by his peak as he outscored Crosby from 08-10 (i don’t include 07-08 because Crosby was injured) and it also was proven by his back to back Ted Lindsay Awards and Hart trophy, also higher PPG and GPG

That backs it up. Ok im done now

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I feel like an Ovechkin/Datsyuk hybrid would be Lemieux with great defense so I'll go with that option.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Yikes. Neither of Datsyuk/Ovechkin would provide Lemieux’s playmaking
Probably not to his level but still elite level playmaking, on top of Selke winning defense and a Hart/TL level offense with arubably GOAT status goalscoring, brute strength and blazing speed

McCrosby would have quite possibly the greatest skating ever on top of playmaking near Gretzky level (idk but it’s DAMN good) with elite goal scoring and Hart/TL winning offense and good defense.

I mean this poll is basically pick your poison since they both have ALL TIME elite skill sets

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yikes. Neither of Datsyuk/Ovechkin would provide Lemieux’s playmaking
OK, I didn't think anyone would take it as if they would make an exact clone of Lemieux but I guess there's always one. My point is that there are very few guys in the history of the NHL that are both lethal goal scorers and elite playmakers to go along with size, skating, and stickhandling that makes it nearly impossible to defend against. Lemieux is the most complete physical specimen I can think of and a hybrid of Ovechkin and Datsyuk would result in skills very similar to what he had though probably not at the same level but their hybrid would add a defensive element that Lemieux didn't have.

Reactions: varank

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
Probably not to his level but still elite level playmaking, on top of Selke winning defense and a Hart/TL level offense with arubably GOAT status goalscoring, brute strength and blazing speed

McCrosby would have quite possibly the greatest skating ever on top of playmaking near Gretzky level (idk but it’s DAMN good) with elite goal scoring and Hart/TL winning offense and good defense.

I mean this poll is basically pick your poison since they both have ALL TIME elite skill sets

Is your poll even about peak or just in general? I see a lot of posters talking about OVs Peak so I’m wondering

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't think so. The thing about Datsyuk-Ovi, is each of them possess the skills the other doesn't. Dats is undersized; Ovi is a bull. Dats didn't have the greatest one-timer; Ovi... Ovi has good hands, but not crazy good hands; Dats...

Any flaw one player has, the other is/was arguably the best in the league at. They'd make more/less a perfect player.
See, I consider Crosby the "perfect hockey player" just by the fact that he's elite in everything. Adding McDavid's strong points like his speed just adds to what I already consider to be perfect. Sounds like we just have a difference in opinion (and I don't really think there's a wrong answer here). My rational is that with Sid/McDavid, you have it all. Vision, IQ, Sid's shot with McDavid's speed, the ability to grind in the corners or burn guys wide. Plus they're no slouches in their own end (and yes I understand Datsyuk was phenomenal in that area). The only thing Dats/Ovi have an absolutely advantage in are Dats' hands, Ovi's shot and Ovi's physicality which I really don't put a lot of stock in. But as Sid has proved before, you don't need an Ovi-like shot to win the Rocket.

An Ovi/Datsyuk hybrid would be the most electric player the game has ever seen. I just don't think it'd be better than a Crosby/McDavid hybrid.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
OK, I didn't think anyone would take it as if they would make an exact clone of Lemieux but I guess there's always one. My point is that there are very few guys in the history of the NHL that are both lethal goal scorers and elite playmakers to go along with size, skating, and stickhandling that makes it nearly impossible to defend against. Lemieux is the most complete physical specimen I can think of and a hybrid of Ovechkin and Datsyuk would result in skills very similar to what he had though probably not at the same level but their hybrid would add a defensive element that Lemieux didn't have.
Exactly! It’s not about making clones, it’s about a select few who are elite at multiple facets of the game

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

And a physical element, and a skating element. Not to mention durability.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
OV/Datsyuk combo,...you had it folks, he was called Eric freakin Lindros

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017

Just saying your comparaison was pretty off ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad