Better Hybrid: OV/Datsyuk or Crosby/McDavid?

Better Hybrid?

• Total voters

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Crosby has been better than Ovi and McDavid has a good chance of being better than Datsyuk so I'd say McCrosby

Yeah but McDavid and Crosby have a lot of the same strengths like their vision. Having the best goal scorer who also becomes the best defensive player in the league. Crosby and McDavid you get elite speed and very elite play making, very good goal scoring and solid defense. OV/Datsyuk you get absolutely elite all time goal scoring, very good defense, and very good physicality with elite vision from Datsyuk. Crosby and McDavid are likely the best 2 out of the 4 but the combo of them doesnt provide the hybrid with as many elite aspects to their game as OV Datsyuk does because OV and Datsyuk are so elite in different ways

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Prime Ovi offensively is the best goalscorer and can hang with Crosby and McDavid in terms of points but now you add Datsyuk and his defensive prowess? You're basically looking at the best offensive and defensive player all in one.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Yeah but McDavid and Crosby have a lot of the same strengths like their vision. Having the best goal scorer who also becomes the best defensive player in the league. Crosby and McDavid you get elite speed and very elite play making, very good goal scoring and solid defense. OV/Datsyuk you get absolutely elite all time goal scoring, very good defense, and very good physicality with elite vision from Datsyuk. Crosby and McDavid are likely the best 2 out of the 4 but the combo of them doesnt provide the hybrid with as many elite aspects to their game as OV Datsyuk does because OV and Datsyuk are so elite in different ways

Calling McDavid(or Crosby for that matter) better than peak Ovechkin, which I really hope the thread is about since else Datsyuk is pretty much a non factor in the discussion, is blasphemous.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Ovi can get rid of the puck better than any of them. Pavel could keep the puck better than any of them. A hybrid of the two would be one torn individual.

Would pay good money to watch McCrosby skating sideways at 100mph.

Reactions: Plural

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sid and McDavid are more similar so I think the combination would be less OP than someone with the puck carrying, shot, and scoring touch of peak Ovi and the dangling, two way play, and skating of Datsyuk.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Ovechkin/Datsyuk would be elite in every single aspect of hockey. Ovechkin was easily the most explosive skater in his prime, something I think people tend to forget.

Reactions: alexgreeen

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Better hybrid? I'd say OV/Dats. Crosby and McDavid may be the better players, but they have very similar skillsets. Ovechkin and Datsyuk's lovechild pretty much gives you a mixture of the greatest goal scorer of all time (My opinion) and one of the best two-way forwards of all time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Peak OV is the best offensive player. He is also the most physical and most explosive skater. Datsyuk is the best 2 way player. Pretty easy choice.

Best goalscorer, not the best offensive player. Crosby was much more versatile offensively and much more proven to be able to carry a line. He also played a much more responsible defensive game. OV was given the greenlight to pretty much disregard defensive responsibilities for most of his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mean Gene

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I guess Crosby/McDavid, because i feel like an Ovechkin/Datsyuk hybrid wouldn't make any sense. They just play the game in ways that are so counter to the way the other excels. It's logically impossible to truly "hybridize" their respective styles of play.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Best goalscorer, not the best offensive player. Crosby was much more versatile offensively and much more proven to be able to carry a line. He also played a much more responsible defensive game. OV was given the greenlight to pretty much disregard defensive responsibilities for most of his career.

Both players were league leaders in PPG and pts, difference was that OV was also the leader in GPG and goals. Goals > assists. I think peak OV was carrying lines just fine. In 07/08 he had 45 more pts than Backstrom so I think it's obvious who was carrying the line. This isn't even bringing up what he did in 05/06 and 06/07. Don't really care about the defensive game as peak OV had a better CF% than Crosby so he spent less time in his own zone anyway. And besides, Datsyuk is the best defensive player here so it doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Both players were league leaders in PPG and pts, difference was that OV was also the leader in GPG and goals. Goals > assists. I think peak OV was carrying lines just fine. In 07/08 he had 45 more pts than Backstrom so I think it's obvious who was carrying the line. This isn't even bringing up what he did in 05/06 and 06/07. Don't really care about the defensive game as peak OV had a better CF% than Crosby so he spent less time in his own zone anyway. And besides, Datsyuk is the best defensive player here so it doesn't make a difference.

Crosby lead the league in goals and in GPG and has lead the league by a more significant margin in both points and PPG.

Both are very similar offensively at their peaks, the difference is Crosby was able to contribute defensively while OV was given free reign to cheat on defense.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Best goalscorer who is also a physical beast and the best defensive forward and propably the best PK and PP player in the league? I'll take him.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Crosby lead the league in goals and in GPG and has lead the league by a more significant margin in both points and PPG.

Both are very similar offensively at their peaks, the difference is Crosby was able to contribute defensively while OV was given free reign to cheat on defense.
that may be the case but people always seem to forget the type of offence Bruce ran. it was run and gun and when you have a talent of OV's caliber, why on earth would you have him play defence in that type of offense.

look at when Trotz came in, he asked OV to be better defensively while maintain his goal-scoring, and while OV is no stout on D, he has certainly improved and showed effort

people just love to make blind statements without context. OV has always listened to his coaches. i guarantee you if Trotz was the coach from 07-10, OV would have had more defensive responsibilty

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Combining Ovi's shot and physicality with Datsyuk's hands and vision probably makes the perfect player.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
that may be the case but people always seem to forget the type of offence Bruce ran. it was run and gun and when you have a talent of OV's caliber, why on earth would you have him play defence in that type of offense.

look at when Trotz came in, he asked OV to be better defensively while maintain his goal-scoring, and while OV is no stout on D, he has certainly improved and showed effort

people just love to make blind statements without context. OV has always listened to his coaches. i guarantee you if Trotz was the coach from 07-10, OV would have had more defensive responsibilty

With a lesser amount of pts.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
OV/Datsyuk hybrid is a much better compliment of skillsets. Imagine If Ovechkin was a takeaway monster who constantly created space for himself with his hands and edgework. Honestly, I think that player would be taking 800 shots a season.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Peak Ovechkin is by far the best offensive player in this list. There is no season from Crosby that any reasonable person would put up against Ovechkin's peak seasons.

Ovechkin is by far the most physical player on this list.

Peak Datsyuk is by far the best defensive player in this list.

There is a right and a wrong answer here.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Crosby/McDavid easily, ignoring the fact that they are the two best players out of the 4 combing McDavid speed and ability to control the puck at that speed (which is the important skill) with the way Crosby can keep the puck down low and in tight spaces I am not sure how anyone would ever have the puck other than that hybrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad