Better Hockey Player - Marner or Rantanen

Who Would You Rather?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
contracts aside, who would you rather have?

P.S. if you’re an Avs fan or a Leafs fan, please use the proper voting selection. It’s embarassing when somebody named LEAFSFANFOREVER69 votes for Marner in the Neutral selection.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Marner has shown he can drive a line, Rantanen has flopped away from Mackinnon. That's the difference for me

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Too close to call, really. Depends what you need and/or prefer.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I picked Rantanen, Marner's contract brings him down a few notches.
Still Don't think Marner is worth that contract. I might be a little biased in this pick because the contract had made me kinda.....hate Marner.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
flip a coin. But voted Marner.

Could see either guy ending up the better player moving forward. both should be good.

Reactions: Critical91

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't say "easily", but I'd rather have Marner.

Seems more of a complete player to me. Better two way player and better 5 on 5 player.

Rantanen does have the size advantage, but in today's game, Marner's intelligence on the ice more than compensates for it....and Rantanen isn't exactly a bulldozer on the ice, despite his size. Sure he will use it, but a physical specimen on the ice (something along the lines of a Lindros) he is not, so I think that particular advantage over Marner isn't as grand as some may think.

Marner also has a propensity to relieve the opposition of the puck quite often and again, he does it with smarts and precision skill...and you can bet when he does, he already is thinking ahead to where he is going to dish that off as he looks for a streaking linemate.

Either player is fantastic to have and build a team around, but IMO, Mitch Marner is the complete package and just seems to have more tools in the box.

I think when both their careers are all said n done, Rantanen will be known as the great sniper who was always a big handful for the defense to contain, but Marner will be known as the guy who could do it all at a high level and the guy who truly elevates those around him.

And this is coming from a Lightning fan who doesn't particularly like the Leafs.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I picked Rantanen, Marner's contract brings him down a few notches.
Still Don't think Marner is worth that contract. I might be a little biased in this pick because the contract had made me kinda.....hate Marner.
Contracts weren't mentioned

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Marner is the best player on a really good team Rantanen is the 3rd best player on a trash team.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Super close. I just went with my 50/50 split. This time I voted Rants. Before i voted Marner. Next time I'll vote Marner.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
This one is a close one. I really like Rantanen.

But I'm going with Marner.

Two our of the three years they've been in the league, Marner has outperformed Rantanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad