Raptors Discussion: Better Buzzer Beater

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I'm with you on this one, he hit the do or die shot while if Lenard misses they still play on.
We had no chance against that Sixers team in OT. Kawhi saved us.

As for OP, this shouldn't even be a question.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

I know this was just to tie the game in the middle of regular season but this was still a pretty cool moment

Reactions: Kurtz

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Disagree. I posted this in another thread:
-------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO that shot blows Kawhi's out of the water.

1)
Kawhi's shot was 100 times less pressure as if he misses, the game continues. If OG misses, the season is all but over.

2)
Kawhi had at least some time to dribble and create his shot, OG had to catch and shoot instantly.

3)
The pass is also a part of it and the pass was arguably every bit as remarkable as the shot considering it had to be spot on accurate, and it was.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.
But Kawhi’s shot was more difficult in an elimination game.
Also i factored in the crowd reaction.
And also the fact that the ball bounced 4 times before dropping , it was like a scene straight out of the movies.

again Kawhi’s shot led to a title.
I think “blow out of the water” is a stretch but you can pick either or and you wouldn’t be wrong. Valid arguments can be made for both.

P.s had Lowry hit that title winning buzzer beater in game 5 at home that would UNDOUBTEDLY be the greatest shot in franchise history. Better than OG and kawhis shot combined.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don’t necessarily disagree with you.
But Kawhi’s shot was more difficult in an elimination game.
Also i factored in the crowd reaction.
And also the fact that the ball bounced 4 times before dropping , it was like a scene straight out of the movies.

again Kawhi’s shot led to a title.
I think “blow out of the water” is a stretch but you can pick either or and you wouldn’t be wrong. Valid arguments can be made for both.

P.s had Lowry hit that title winning buzzer beater in game 5 at home that would UNDOUBTEDLY be the greatest shot in franchise history. Better than OG and kawhis shot combined.

That's fair, there's no absolute right or wrong here and I agree I probably overdid it with "blow out of the water".

I think OG's shot was much more difficult. He had to catch and shoot, Kawhi had several seconds to create his shot.

I'd also say this was for all practical purposes an elimination game as no team in NBA history has come back from a 3-0 deficit. And as pointed out earlier, if Kawhi misses then the game continues while if OG misses, it's over which adds a level of pressure that wasn't there for Kawhi.

Agree that the crowd reaction was cool, added to the moment and so did the ball bouncing 4 times.

If Kawhi misses, I'd say it's still more likely than not that we win the title, far from a lock though so sure it was important that he made it. On the other hand, the Raptors might yet win the title and if they do, then I might revert back to "blow out of the water" as this would be one of the most remarkable titles in NBA history, far more unlikely than last season so we should really wait and see how it all plays out.

I agree that valid arguments can be made for both, I just pick OG that's all. A part of me is still having trouble digesting that we actually won that game.

Reactions: kb

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
There is simply no comparison at all. Don't get me wrong, OG's likely launches right into the top 5 moments in franchise history, assuming we can rally and win this series. But I feel like the people making this comparison are likely the ones who still hold resentment toward Kawhi for leaving.

I'm not here to debate the difficulty or probability of each - you could argue the probability of OG's shot was more improbable than Kawhi's shot. You could also argue the pressure of him hitting that shot was higher - to save the series and the game - vs. sending the game into overtime. Those are viable arguments.

But...

Come on lol. Kawhi's shot was utterly magical, not only on a Toronto Raptors stage, but on the history of the NBA stage. There are only a handful of moments and shots in the same tier as the Kawhi shot, and Jordan's game winner against Utah, for example, comes to mind. Kawhi's shot is ICONIC. Game 7, at home, the guy we traded our arguable franchise GOAT (at the time) to bring in to be a hero and take us to the next level, the degree of difficulty of a fading away shot over a 7 footer, as his momentum is carrying him out of bounds, and then the bounces on the rim, where literally the entire NBA fanbase across the world was stuck in some sort of limbo and collectively paused awaiting the conclusion of the shot, in what felt like minutes, to seal an epic Game 7 win. The pictures and stills that were birthed from that moment - all of it ICONIC!

No comparison imo, and that's coming from a life-long fan that lost his complete shit the other night as OG saved our season.

Reactions: canucksfan

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
kawhi's shot was bigger but the whole play involving OG's shot was much more difficult. If they win the series it may be as big as Kawhi's. If they go on to win it all I think its a bigger shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad