Raptors Discussion: Better Buzzer Beater

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kawhi Leonard series winning game 7 3 with 4.2 seconds left in a 90-90 tie

OG series saving game 3 3 with 0.5 seconds left down 101-103

Obviously Kawhi’s was a series clincher and the team went on to win it all, but it also came in a tie game so he had an OT cushion and had 4+ seconds to make the play. OGs was in or they are out pressure and had to get the ball off immediate on the inbound.

Sorry mods but if you could add a poll please

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Still cannot believe that shot was remotely possible. Leafs pulled a miracle in game 4 but mailed in game #5. Wonder what Raps do after their miracle shot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
OGs game winner doesn't compare to Kawhi’s.

If this shot leads to another title then maybe this can be a debatable topic.

Disagree. I posted this in another thread:
-------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO that shot blows Kawhi's out of the water.

1)
Kawhi's shot was 100 times less pressure as if he misses, the game continues. If OG misses, the season is all but over.

2)
Kawhi had at least some time to dribble and create his shot, OG had to catch and shoot instantly.

3)
The pass is also a part of it and the pass was arguably every bit as remarkable as the shot considering it had to be spot on accurate, and it was.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'd also say Kawhi's shot by far. The suspense around that was ridiculous.

I also think it was a harder shot to get off.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd also say Kawhi's shot by far. The suspense around that was ridiculous.

I also think it was a harder shot to get off.

The only reason there was more suspense around that shot is that last night, everyone thought that the game was over and the Raptors were dead.

OG had to catch and release instantly, that was much harder than what Kawhi did.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Both were amazing shots with games on line and we needed both of them - clutch clutch clutch. Da Raps always figure out a way to take over this city. Big congrats to Lowry. Big time player in big time games. Lowry's game last night cemented it for me. He is a winner. #2 helped him get over da top but now he knows how to do it himself. I expect we will take both Celtics and Heat now on way back to final.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kawhi was winner take all shot.

OG was a do or die shot.

Let's re-evaluate if Raps win the series.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
All things being equal, the OG shot was higher pressure, and of more importance, because they were down, and weren't going to get another chance to win the game.

But the Raps need another title, for all things to be equal.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Right now Kawhi's shot was the biggest in Raps history.

What was 2nd? OG's last night or Carter's in game 7?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
As someone that doesn't follow BB that closely, I have a what is probably a simple question.

When the Celtics scored with 0.5 on the clock, how were the Raptors able to inbound the ball from the offensive zone rather than from behind their net? Is it a timeout luxury?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
As someone that doesn't follow BB that closely, I have a what is probably a simple question.

When the Celtics scored with 0.5 on the clock, how were the Raptors able to inbound the ball from the offensive zone rather than from behind their net? Is it a timeout luxury?
Yes. Timeout in the last 2 mins of the 4th Q or OT allows you to advance it and inbound from the hash mark.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Disagree. I posted this in another thread:
-------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO that shot blows Kawhi's out of the water.

1)
Kawhi's shot was 100 times less pressure as if he misses, the game continues. If OG misses, the season is all but over.

2)
Kawhi had at least some time to dribble and create his shot, OG had to catch and shoot instantly.

3)
The pass is also a part of it and the pass was arguably every bit as remarkable as the shot considering it had to be spot on accurate, and it was.

For me it's like this: if Raps lose this series, this shot will be remembered as just a nice moment. Kawhi's shot will be remembered for a very long time because of what happened after. Only if Raps win this series, will OG's shot rival Kawhi's in my mind. Not mention Kawahi's shot never happened before (a series clinching buzzer beater in a game 7)

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
No matter how much technical prowess you attribute to OG's shot, it cannot overcome Kawhi's buzzer beater.

Game 7, won the series and they won the championship.

There's no comparison.

Ask this on a basketball board and see the reaction if you don't believe me. Kawhi's buzzer beater tells a whole story that will go down in sports history. OG's is just a one game LETS GOOO situation. Now Raps need to finish the story in order for it to get into Kawhi level.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Let's just hope that it will mark a turning point in the series, similar to the OT win against the Bucks in game 3 last year.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wonder how many rewound their PVR's to watch the shot last night like we did.
We thought the game was over and weren't paying attention until we saw them jumping around and wondered what happened.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
OG's shot was clutch to win the game, but not the series. My vote goes with Kawhi

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For me it's like this: if Raps lose this series, this shot will be remembered as just a nice moment. Kawhi's shot will be remembered for a very long time because of what happened after. Only if Raps win this series, will OG's shot rival Kawhi's in my mind. Not mention Kawahi's shot never happened before (a series clinching buzzer beater in a game 7)

I get that POV but in that case it's too early to make the comparison. But if you want to compare the two shots without considering what comes after that (which is reasonable as in the moment, nobody knew what the future would bring) then OG's shot is much more remarkable for reasons I stated earlier. And the biggest by far is that if OG misses, the season is all but over which adds an element of pressure that Kawhi didn't face.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I get that POV but in that case it's too early to make the comparison. But if you want to compare the two shots without considering what comes after that (which is reasonable as in the moment, nobody knew what the future would bring) then OG's shot is much more remarkable for reasons I stated earlier. And the biggest by far is that if OG misses, the season is all but over which adds an element of pressure that Kawhi didn't face.
I'm with you on this one, he hit the do or die shot while if Lenard misses they still play on.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Ok, then that’s fair.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok, then that’s fair.

The most important thing is - aren't we lucky to have two such wonderful moments in consecutive post-seasons! Maybe it's an omen of things to come?

I'll be honest, I thought we were done. But instead, getting to the finals again is very realistic and I'm getting more and more excited about tomorrow's game with each passing minute.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's still Kawhi's shot. It was a series clincher, on the way to a championship. Hard to beat that. Also, the suspense with the way it bounced around the rim. It was like a movie.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Who cares which is better? As long as we keep hitting end of game buzzer beaters they are all the best.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Does this not have the washington capitals of 2018 feel.

Moments of going down 3-0 in the series.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This play was way more difficult to execute. It was so immensely improbable. But unless we win the 'chip again, Kawhi's shot was more important.

Reactions: lovemyleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad