Best/worst trades in Pred history

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Since we're mired in another offseason already (seriously, the Preds were off for 5 months, played 4 games, and will be off for another 4 months), I thought I would get people's thoughts on the worst and best trades in Preds history.

Top 3:

1. Forsberg/Erat
2. Timonen and Vopat to Nashville in return for not selecting Garry Galley
3. Sebastian Bordeleau from Montreal in return for future considerations (which turned out to be Vokoun)

Worst 3:

1. Hartnell and Timonen to Philly for a 1st
2. Franson and Santorelli for 1st, Leipsic, Jokinen
3. Fiala/Granlund

HM: Hartman for 1st, 1st for Gaustad

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The 1st we gave up for Fisher turned out to be one case where that worked out well. That 2011 draft was a wasteland.

Wasn't the Hartnell/Timonen tradeback for our 1st kind of "to be named later" component of the Peter Forsberg trade? Just we wanted to be able to keep using Hartnell and Timonen in the playoffs. But that really makes the whole Forsberg trade rate as one of the worst, doesn't it? Upshall and Parent were not chopped liver at that time. And we gave it all up for 20 games of Peter Forsberg? :dunno:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
The 1st we gave up for Fisher turned out to be one case where that worked out well. That 2011 draft was a wasteland.

Wasn't the Hartnell/Timonen tradeback for our 1st kind of "to be named later" component of the Peter Forsberg trade? Just we wanted to be able to keep using Hartnell and Timonen in the playoffs. But that really makes the whole Forsberg trade rate as one of the worst, doesn't it? Upshall and Parent were not chopped liver at that time. And we gave it all up for 20 games of Peter Forsberg? :dunno:

I didn't know that about the Forsberg trade - I thought the initial trade itself was pretty bad too, but at least it kinda made sense. Hartnell/Timonen to get our 1st back just seems awful to me though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Hartnell and Timonen wasn't a bad trade, it was necessary due to the circumstances of the sale. Also those 1sts for Hartman and Gaustad at least got us players who appeared in multiple seasons with the Preds.

Trading a 1st for Brendan Witt and getting 17+5 uninspired games out of him was far worse. The only thing that softens the blow is that the Caps picked Varlamov and there wasn't really anything impactful taken immediately near that pick. Though there's always the possibility that we could have traded it for someone else or different picks.

Reactions: predfan24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Sullivan was the best trade in our history other than Forsberg. you could argue Sullivan was more critical to the franchise.

Definitely agree. Those first few games of Sullivan including the hat trick in his first one with us were really the first time I ever felt that we were actually a legitimate NHL team.

Reactions: predhead1

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
In hindsight, giving up Dubnyk for nothing is a dark spot.

Giving up a 2nd for 4 games of Denis Grebeshkov (injury) wasn't good, either.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I present this as our best trade of all time:

upload_2020-9-10_14-43-0.png

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Worst
Brenden Witt for a 1st
Trading down and letting Ottawa take Karlsson and taking Pickard
Dubnyk for Nada

Best
Sullivan for 2 seconds
Forsberg for Erat

Nobody could have seen Dubnyk coming and it's not like we would have benched Pekka for him anyway.

And the other best trade is acquiring the rights to Ed Belfour. The compensatory pick we got for "losing" him a few days later ended up being Shea Weber.

Reactions: Jonesey

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Looking back at the Vokoun trade, best I can tell is we ended up with Wilson and Spaling out of that deal. Not the worst but for one of the better goalies in the league at the time, it was not a stellar return. That was a bad offseason losing Vokoun, Timonen and Hartnell. I still hate Leipold for the sale of the team and being able to buy the Wild. You should never have been able to gut the team like he did. In the end, we ended up with better ownership but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Looking back at the Vokoun trade, best I can tell is we ended up with Wilson and Spaling out of that deal. Not the worst but for one of the better goalies in the league at the time, it was not a stellar return. That was a bad offseason losing Vokoun, Timonen and Hartnell. I still hate Leipold for the sale of the team and being able to buy the Wild. You should never have been able to gut the team like he did. In the end, we ended up with better ownership but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

It's a shame we had to sell, you could see the team Poile wanted to create out there, we hit on nearly all our 1st rounders those first seven years, we got some great hidden gems, things were about to go well and then...we had to trade off those guys.

I think Poile's legacy looks a lot better if he was able to keep the team he intended to build from the start. A prime Hartnell, Timonen and Hamhuis, with an Alexander Radulov that might actually want to be here to go along with a growing Suter and Weber. Plus Vokoun had a few good years left.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
People will always give Poile flak for not getting a cup, or that superstar forward, and I can't say that it's not deserved. However, I'd also argue that at least in his time here he has done a pretty dang good job.

He had to build a team out of nothing, he wasn't gifted anything like Vegas, and he had to do it on a budget. He got it there and then had to start all over because of the owner and did it again.

Yeah he hasn't been perfect, and yeah we haven't had a cup, but you look at some of the franchises out there and we as a fan base have been pretty dang lucky. There have been some swimming in hope and not much else in that time frame.

Injuries have done several good shots he has had in, none greater than the SCF year.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Best Sullivan for two 2nds. This pushed this team to making the playoffs for the first time. What Sully and Karyia did was crucial for adding other RFA's at the time. Those were bad times when players with talent would not even consider this team.

Worst Weber for basically a Cap dump when P.K. was moved or Not moving Jones for a legit 1C

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Best trade? Sullivan or the trades for the Rinne/Weber picks.

Worst? First for Goose. Weber for Subban. Maybe our two trades in the 2008 draft that landed us Wilson and Pickard.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Worst? First for Goose. Weber for Subban. Maybe our two trades in the 2008 draft that landed us Wilson and Pickard.
There are a lot worse trades than that out there. Most of them have been listed here. I'll never understand why people think the Gaustad trade was that bad. At least we got some serviceable years out of him unlike some of the the other trades we made.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
There are a lot worse trades than that out there. Most of them have been listed here. I'll never understand why people think the Gaustad trade was that bad. At least we got some serviceable years out of him unlike some of the the other trades we made.

We ended up Saros out of the Gaustad trade so it wasn't that bad. I hated us re-signing him for 4 years at the money we gave him.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Probably overpaid for Goose, but he contributed for multiple years so it's not on the board of worst trades.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The Turris trade looks terrible now, as does the Jones trade.

I'd say the Fiala, Girard and Jones trades were our worst.

Erat and Sullivan our best.

Trades for futures and draft picks don't count as much to me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh I'll never give Poile flak for either the Jones or Girard trade. Both were used to fill major holes. Did it work out how we hoped? No but it was a sound use of those assets.

I mean say we don't trade them. We got Bonino, Sissons, maybe you pay a guy like Statsny enough as an UFA to come here. I mean let's be real honest here the UFA and trade markets haven't exactly been flooded with a host of quality 1st and 2nd line centers.

Yeah we have Duchene here, but without the success we did have I'd say its pretty debatable as to whether he would have came here.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, we had our most success directly because of the Jones trade. Could we have won a cup with him instead of trading him? Yes, but that's a what if that just leads to a hundred other what ifs.

The price for Turris was relatively minuscule. Does Girard even hit 40 points here on the third pairing with 2nd PP minutes? Kamenev wasn't able to break into the league full time.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd sat the bigger issue with the Turris trade was immediately giving him a large contract. Even then though his first season here was good enough we probably re-sign him to a similar deal. Really the issue is that we gave up on him after one bad injury riddled season and went and got Duchene leaving Turris with no spot in the lineup and no plan of how to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad