Best/worst trades in Pred history

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd sat the bigger issue with the Turris trade was immediately giving him a large contract. Even then though his first season here was good enough we probably re-sign him to a similar deal. Really the issue is that we gave up on him after one bad injury riddled season and went and got Duchene leaving Turris with no spot in the lineup and no plan of how to move him.
Yes and no on this one for me. It's true that immediately giving him that contract was a problem, except... I guess we would have just given it to him after that 1st season anyway? Or alternatively what? We let him walk as a free agent? And then at that snapshot in time we just traded Girard, Kamenev, and the 2nd for a 1-season rental?

In hindsight, knowing that we'd effectively lose Turris the next season to injury, and then sign Duchene the season after, then yes, letting him walk UFA would have been better! But alas for that time machine, again.

What I wouldn't have minded is a somewhat better pro scouting report on Turris before trading for him at all. What was going to be our fallback? Play Jarnkrok at center? I don't even remember how the season started before the trade went down. But outside of that, as soon as Turris landed, I could see he was a player I wasn't going to like very much. He produced ok. But was just too shy. And then that playoffs basically sealed the deal. To me, even though he can produce at a respectable #2C clip when given that role, he's just not a player I would have targeted at all. That player doesn't make your team better. He may fill a perceived gap on paper, but on the ice he isn't worth going out and trading for, let alone signing to a 6-year contract.

You could never have predicted his injuries or that we'd subsequently be able to sign Duchene. But you could see at a glance that Turris was a soft touch who relied a lot on his wingers to get his points. I know it was a totally crap off-season for signing a UFA center, because we dissected that to death and were thrilled to get possibly the best one available in Bonino. So I'm sure Poile spent A LOT of time scouring the market and probably invested a lot of time trying to figure out how to get Duchene back then instead too. But at the end of the day, he settled for Turris, and that was a bad call, independent of all that followed after.

Reactions: adsfan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Also keep in mind Turris was coming from a team that the year prior was just a play or two away from playing us in the SCF. I think that experience probably played a pretty big role into Poile's thoughts on Turris as well.

I don't mind the trade because I'm not overly sure we would have been that thrilled with anyone we got to fill that role. I believe Jarnkrok was playing that position before that trade and it wasn't working at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad