WJC: Best/Worst Goalies for Team Canada in WJC history

• Thread starter NativeHockey77*
  • Start date

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Haven't been watching this tournament very long, have you?

Seriously, eh. Should change the title to best goalies for Team Canada from the past 5 years.

Best for me - Jimmy Waite, Manny Legace, Stephan Fiset

Worst - David Lenevu. Poor guy was blasted out by the Finns and promptly replaced with an under the weather Marc Andre Fleury.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
I've been watching the tournament for 10 years but I have seen tape of some great performances.

Great

Jiimy Waite
Marc Denis
Manny Legacy
Carey Price
Justin Pogge
Stephan Fiset
Fleury in Halifax
Luongo in Winnipeg

Worst

Roy this year
Jake Allen
Tokarski was very, very overated and IMO played like garbage.
Pascal Leclair really flubbed in the Gold medal game against Russia

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
It looks like Roy is writing his name on the worst ones... I hated Allen too last year. Best were Price and Pogge IMO. Tokarski has been average.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
In 1999 - yes.

In 1998 - He and Mathieu Garon combined to maybe give the worst tandem performance for Canada ever.

The problem with that team was scoring, not goal. They struggled & strained to get 2 against an awful German team.

The lone bright spot for Canada was goaltender Mathieu Garon, who tied a tournament record with two shutouts.
http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?fid=3904

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
The problem with that team was scoring, not goal. They struggled & strained to get 2 against an awful German team.

The lone bright spot for Canada was goaltender Mathieu Garon, who tied a tournament record with two shutouts.

That quote is totally related to the 2 shutouts. Anyone who gave up 4 goals on 9 shots in 34 minutes against Kazakhstan is hardly a bright spot.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
He played well in the games that mattered more than the one for 7th place

I guess. I count on Canadian goalies making the big save and getting the team through. Going 2-2 before that game tells me he didn't do that. I watched the games (other than the US/Kazakh games that weren't aired) and he was not good. Difference of opinion I guess.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Marc Denis(1997) or Manny Legace(1993) for me.

Both had outstanding tournaments, the best Canadian goaltending I've ever seen in the WJHC.

Edit: Reading the other answers make me quite old. Looks like some people are either very young or just started watching hockey in the last 4-5 years.

I remember Trevor Kidd was pretty outstanding in his tourney and there have been others many years the difference maker in this tournament for Canada has been our goaltending Luondo played well in one of his 2 appearances.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I've been watching this tourney since the mid 90's so missed out on the Waite's and Legace's. Here's my list though:

Best: Luongo, Denis, Pogge, Fleury v1.0
Worst: Allen, Leclaire, Fleury v2.0

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yes they did. 6-3 in a 7/8th place game.

FTR - Bounced back the next year to get to the Gold Medal game, beating Kazakhstan 12-1 in the QF. Just an abberation year, after losing the QF to the Russians after hitting a goalpost, they lost a placement game to the US, and then to the Kazakhs in the 7-8 game.

Oh wow, I checked for like 5 min on a thing with the information on the tournement and I couldn't find it.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
IIRC didn't Jeff Glass play great during his year albeit on a great team?

5-0-0 with a 1.40 GAA (1 shutout) on the stacked team with Crosby, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Carter, Perry, Richards, Ladd, etc. up front and Weber, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Barker, Coburn, Syvret on D. Absolutely ridiculous team.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
No love for the "Storrkeeper"?

Back to back golds, and was named best goaltender in the 94 tournament while going undefeated in his WJC career.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Best: Stephane Fiset and Carey Price
Worst: MAF (Yes I'm still bitter about the golden mistake, lol)

DoYouBeleaf

Aug 13, 2010
Mississauga
Best:
Price
Pogge

Worst:
Allen
Jones
Roy
Note: Almost all of the bad goalies team Canada has had are from the Q and some of the good ones are from the W.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Tokarski one of the best.. wtf did even watch that year? Seriously, no way.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Best:
Price
Pogge

Worst:
Allen
Jones
Roy
Note: Almost all of the bad goalies team Canada has had are from the Q and some of the good ones are from the W.

That's an impressive sample size.
The best canadian goalie at the WJC is Jimmy Waite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad