WJC: Best/Worst Goalies for Team Canada in WJC history

• Thread starter NativeHockey77*
  • Start date

Miller91

Jan 2, 2009
Tokarski was nothing special. Mind you, much better than Roy. A lot of people seem to remember his save, and that's it. Pogge was awesome though.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Tokarski? People remember one orgasmic (Pierre :shakehead) save of his, but he was far from being one of our best-ever.

Last edited:

JeffYear92*

Worst: Fleury, the golden mistake

Or

Jake Allen

Fleurys made up for it with a stanley cup win.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Marc Denis(1997) or Manny Legace(1993) for me.

Both had outstanding tournaments, the best Canadian goaltending I've ever seen in the WJHC.

Edit: Reading the other answers make me quite old. Looks like some people are either very young or just started watching hockey in the last 4-5 years.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Tokarski was garbage until the Gold Medal Game. Crap against the US (except one save) and garbage against Russia. He is bordering on worst 5.

Also terrible - Pascal Leclaire (decent numbers, but not good in a couple of big games in 2002), Trevor Kidd (1992), Jake Allen (2010).

Best - Manny Legace, Jimmy Waite, Stephane Fiset, Trevor Kidd (1991), Marc Denis, Carey Price, Justin Pogge.

Underrated - Maxime Ouellet. Played decent on two undermanned teams that won bronze. Some bad goals, but did good on teams that didn't score enough (2000-2001).

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Both had outstanding tournaments, the best Canadian goaltending I've ever seen in the WJHC.

Edit: Reading the other answers make me quite old. Looks like some people are either very young or just started watching hockey in the last 4-5 years.

I know for me, I've been actively following NHL hockey since the late 90s, but I personally didn't watch a international game with interest till the 2006 Olympics, and the WJC after the Toews shootout performance.

So I can't comment on anything before that.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Best: Legace, Denis, Price.

Worst: Allen, Roy

The worst goalies are from the last two tourneys. Hopefully not a trend.

Last edited:

carlweezer*

olivier roy is going to cost Team Canada the Gold..Absoloutely weak!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Really though. The goaltending performances for Canada were generally much better in the 90s, although Price was great a few years ago. I would go with Legace as the best.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Need to wait until the end of the tourney but Allen stunk last year.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
After a bit of checking because that sounded very perculiar to me, they didn't lose to the Kazakhs, but they finished below them.

Yes they did. 6-3 in a 7/8th place game.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?fid=3904

FTR - Bounced back the next year to get to the Gold Medal game, beating Kazakhstan 12-1 in the QF. Just an abberation year, after losing the QF to the Russians after hitting a goalpost, they lost a placement game to the US, and then to the Kazakhs in the 7-8 game.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not many worse than Mathieu Chouinard in my opinion. I think he is the worst I've seen.

Had David Leneveu played more he would have stood out as terrible in 2002 - beat out Cam Ward. Olivier Michaud and Jeff Glass are also non descript guys. Glass was a starter on a team that was better than everyone by a mile.

Leclaire and Garon were less than stellar.

Waite's performance in Russia and even Fiset's performance in a losing cause in Alaska, were elite performances.

Pogge was top notch. Luongo's performance in Winnipeg ranks up there and Fleury in Halifax gave that team a chance when they had no business competing with the Russians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad