Best Winnipeg Jets regular NHL season ever?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Except we didn't.

Wooo...some prime defensive gaffes on display there.

Edit: But we still got goalied. Ooh, 6 fewer slot shots and 11 fewer rush chances over the series? BFD. Jets got .900 from Hellebuyck and Vegas got .938 from Fleury.

Edit 2: I'd also like to know the per game breakdown of those slot shots and rush chances because the Jets were totally checked out in Game 5. No pushback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skidooboy

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
17/18 was just such a fun year. Lots of scoring, Vezina calibre season from Helle. Special teams were on fire and the team was really deep especially once we added Stastny. That Dcore was among the best in the league as well.

I felt pretty confident we could go deep with that team and that we were one of the best if not the best team in the West.

I feel confident that we are a good team this time around but we are a lot more reliant on sticking to our game plan and goaltending coming up big for us this time around. We could score our way out of trouble in 17/18. We won't be able to do that as much this year, it's more about locking it down than opening things up.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I'm quite convinced that the only reason the Jets didn't make it to the finals in 2018 was because the Nashville series took everything out of both teams. That was one of the greatest seven-game series I've ever seen with an intensity that was beyond belief. Neither team had anything left in the tank, and Vegas, who were a distinctly inferior team to both Nashville and Winnipeg, would have beaten either of them at that point.

Sometimes things just suck.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Edit: But we still got goalied. Ooh, 6 fewer slot shots and 11 fewer rush chances over the series? BFD. Jets got .900 from Hellebuyck and Vegas got .938 from Fleury.

Edit 2: I'd also like to know the per game breakdown of those slot shots and rush chances because the Jets were totally checked out in Game 5. No pushback.
it's the blindness of hindsight based numerical analysis...

basically says only chances in the slot are worth anything so the Jets with majority of shots and possession are bad! lol go look at the data. The Jets weren't scoring in the slot with that roster they were scoring from further out. All Year Long. and soring a LOT from out there. until .938 Fleury stood on his head.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
it's the blindness of hindsight based numerical analysis...

basically says only chances in the slot are worth anything so the Jets with majority of shots and possession are bad! lol go look at the data. The Jets weren't scoring in the slot with that roster they were scoring from further out. All Year Long. and soring a LOT from out there. until .938 Fleury stood on his head.
Well, Mike Kelly runs SportsLogiq or whatever it's called and they track rush chances and slot shots so he's kind of compelled to explain it in those terms.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Fleury had a 0.938 because of all of the low danger shots we were throwing at the net. NHL goalies stop 961 out of every 1000 low danger shots. They stop 806 out of every 1000 high danger shots.

4.97 times as many high danger shots result in goals compared to low danger shots. So yes, it matters.

But I am not here to debate facts. Facts are facts. If you like the way that sounds for you - we got goalied - then go with it.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
also when your argument is that the team who won the most ROW in the league, and is in the toughest division in hockey gives up 2 or less 14 games in a row and 3 or less 34 times in a row
and had 4+ scored on them what 12 times...has bad team D?
you aren't dong the maths right.
what a joke.
This analysis in the posted video, as I stated, was during the 18-19 season including looking back at Vegas Series from the 2018 playoffs. It was in response to a comment that we got goalied by MAF, which didn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: hui43210

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not saying they aren't one of the best Jets teams ever, but let us not forget that there were some bad stretches, as recently as a few weeks ago when the team was still jockeying hard for position. And when they were bad, they looked REALLY bad. I'm still kind of haunted by those games tbh.
I'm kind of with @jetsmooseice, while I'm very happy with how the ended the season, there were some bad stretches especially that awful six game losing streak. I don't remember them having any extended losing streaks like that in 17-18. However, on the other hand, I think we have a better defensive all-around team game than we did then. Definitely one of the best seasons, not sure if the best ... let's see how they do in the playoffs.
First of all it wasn't a 6-game losing streak it was 0-5-1.:D
Weird when the Leafs lose 4 games in arow they don't call it a losing streak ... they say 4 games without a win 0-2-2.
Seriously there was only 2 games that the Jets played terrible and those were the 2 games after a great win beating the #1 team in their barn.. The last 4 games of the losing streak they played a lot better and could of won them all with a good or lucky bounce.
No excuses but the Jets also played 17 games in March while Tampa only played 11 games ... guess which team only lost one game?
EVERY top team went on a losing streak with a heavy schedule ... I posted the stats to prove it in the previous threads during the losing streak.

Anyways I think this team is better than the 17-18 team because of the experience of the core players like the say before you can win to have too learn how to lose.
I do think the 17-18 was tougher tough especially the defense ... if they had Buff today the parade would be planned already.

Reactions: ERYX

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Depends on how you view Hellebuyck, IMO. It's the only position where I see this team have a distinct advantage wrt talent. The 2018 central division was an unholy meatgrinder, and I think that skews the point totals in the standings a bit.

Then again, I think if Hellebuyck's rise to elite level happened 2 years earlier we win the cup in 2018 and we challenge in 2019. Having a top goalie is really valuable.
maybe im misinterpreting... but id consider Helle elite in 17-18 with a 0.924 sv%. relative to the league - his 0.921 this year is beyond elite though

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Fleury had a 0.938 because of all of the low danger shots we were throwing at the net. NHL goalies stop 961 out of every 1000 low danger shots. They stop 806 out of every 1000 high danger shots.

4.97 times as many high danger shots result in goals compared to low danger shots. So yes, it matters.

But I am not here to debate facts. Facts are facts. If you like the way that sounds for you - we got goalied - then go with it.
The Jets had 75 HDCF in the series vs. Vegas who put up 51.

The Jets scored 4 goals off those HDCFs (.946 SV% for Vegas).

Vegas scored 9 goals off their HDCFs (.824 SV% for the Jets).

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

no calculated stats are stats.
facts are facts.

corsiXgF#add9 might sound great, but it isn't 100% the story.

I'm not a statistician...but I did a lot of stats in school related to population genetics and biology....and to be honest...the advanced stats in hockey are a bit of a joke. you know why there's no error bars on sv% ? because the error bars render the stat essentially meaningless. even after a large sample size. none of the fancy stats guys like to mention that...but it's true.

Hockey is dynamic..which is why advanced stats are useful, but not definitive..And drawing some paint on the ground and saying all shots in that area are "high danger" is BS

Reactions: Buffdog

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
i'd say our forward and goalie groups are the best ever. our D is worse than 2017 but plays under a stronger system so can hide their faults more often (besides pionk)
I was going to say this. We have prime Helle and Croissant had a brilliant year. First time I'd be perfectly comfortable with our backup if Helle gets injured or slumps. I feel good about our playoff chances, and the seeding worked well for us, I think. We have really good Forward depth - our 4th line with Perfetti is basically another 2nd line (I think it was our 2nd line early in the season??). And our 3rd line is probably the best it's ever been.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
First of all it wasn't a 6-game losing streak it was 0-5-1.:D
Weird when the Leafs lose 4 games in arow they don't call it a losing streak ... they say 4 games without a win 0-2-2.
Seriously there was only 2 games that the Jets played terrible and those were the 2 games after a great win beating the #1 team in their barn.. The last 4 games of the losing streak they played a lot better and could of won them all with a good or lucky bounce.
No excuses but the Jets also played 17 games in March while Tampa only played 11 games ... guess which team only lost one game?
EVERY top team went on a losing streak with a heavy schedule ... I posted the stats to prove it in the previous threads during the losing streak.

Anyways I think this team is better than the 17-18 team because of the experience of the core players like the say before you can win to have too learn how to lose.
I do think the 17-18 was tougher tough especially the defense ... if they had Buff today the parade would be planned already.
Good points.

Oh man, this team with Buff still playing would be insane. Although he's 39 now, so not sure how Buff like he'd still be (insane to think it was 5 years ago that he peaced-out on the Jets and hockey). If we had prime Buff on this team absolutely we'd be planning the parade already and with justification.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
From the beginning of January to the end of the season, 17/18 was the most dominant team we've had.

Reactions: JetsFan815

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
17/18 Jets was a good team. Puck possession team. Carry the play passed the opponent blue line. The only line that dump and chase was Tanev line.
We lost to a new minted Vegas team that trap us in neutral zone and had a hot Fleury in net.
In some ways the 23/24 Jets is like that Vegas team. Hard working underrated team, not full of superstars Committed to team D.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
17/18 still much stronger for me.

That year I thought we were legitimate cup favourites. Knew we would dominate in the first round.

This year we are borderline on cup favourites and 50/50 to get out of the first round.

50/50 to get out of the first round because the competition is so close. 6 of the 8 Western Conference teams are very near equal and the other 2 are capable of winning a series against any of the top 6.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I feel like the only reason I haven't regarded this as our best team ever is because of last year. This season everything felt shadowed and it's almost felt like this whole season had been trying to make those clouds fully go away.

There were so many times that everybody here, at one time or another, was fully expecting them to resort back to being last year's team and fold like a Dollarama tent.

It feels surprising that the team ended with 52 wins but, in another way, that also seems lower than it realistically could have been.

Reactions: ERYX

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Talent wise
that 2017 - 2018 was crazy deep!!!

Myers on the 3rd pairing
Perrault Little and Armi as your 4th line!!!

You have top 4
Enstrom Buff
Morrissey Trouba

Jets had everything size speed.....

ohhhh what could have been..... haizz..

Anyways this team is awesome also.
Better room to start with!!!
They can score fancy goals and greasy goals.

The defense don't have the big names except for JMO but they seem to work together, that what counts.

Helly is Helly best American born goalie.....

• Love
Reactions: Section 325

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
17/18 was just such a fun year. Lots of scoring, Vezina calibre season from Helle. Special teams were on fire and the team was really deep especially once we added Stastny. That Dcore was among the best in the league as well.

I felt pretty confident we could go deep with that team and that we were one of the best if not the best team in the West.

I feel confident that we are a good team this time around but we are a lot more reliant on sticking to our game plan and goaltending coming up big for us this time around. We could score our way out of trouble in 17/18. We won't be able to do that as much this year, it's more about locking it down than opening things up.

That was a slightly more talented team but it was our 1st playoff appearance in a long time and we had allot of youth on that team. When we hit adversity we didn’t really have the right mix and playoff experience to push through it.

We do not have as good a D core this year but our team defense and structure is much better than that 2017-18 team. That was also young Helly and although he was great he didn’t get it done vs Vegas.

If and its a huge if, We stick to Bones system I think this team can play with anyone. It goes without saying we need to have the best goaltending in each series (assuming we go anywhere).

Reactions: ERYX and Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That was a slightly more talented team but it was our 1st playoff appearance in a long time and we had allot of youth on that team. When we hit adversity we didn’t really have the right mix and playoff experience to push through it.

We do not have as good a D core this year but our team defense and structure is much better than that 2017-18 team. That was also young Helly and although he was great he didn’t get it done vs Vegas.

If and its a huge if, We stick to Bones system I think this team can play with anyone. It goes without saying we need to have the best goaltending in each series (assuming we go anywhere).

Yeah a lot of inexperienced vets and youth in all honesty. Even our experienced guys outside of Buff hadn't seen a whole lot of playoffs or success in the playoffs.

We have a pretty experienced team this year, guys who have a lot to prove to themselves, the fans, management and the media. This is the most structured Jets team I have ever seen from top to bottom. They play with a purpose and an identity. I have faith that this team can go deep and if they don't I have faith that we can be right here again next season.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah a lot of inexperienced vets and youth in all honesty. Even our experienced guys outside of Buff hadn't seen a whole lot of playoffs or success in the playoffs.

We have a pretty experienced team this year, guys who have a lot to prove to themselves, the fans, management and the media. This is the most structured Jets team I have ever seen from top to bottom. They play with a purpose and an identity. I have faith that this team can go deep and if they don't I have faith that we can be right here again next season.
Wow, what a terrific poster.

Welcome back there, m8.

• Love
Reactions: Daximus and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad