Best Winnipeg Jets regular NHL season ever?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Not saying they aren't one of the best Jets teams ever, but let us not forget that there were some bad stretches, as recently as a few weeks ago when the team was still jockeying hard for position. And when they were bad, they looked REALLY bad. I'm still kind of haunted by those games tbh.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm kind of with @jetsmooseice, while I'm very happy with how the ended the season, there were some bad stretches especially that awful six game losing streak. I don't remember them having any extended losing streaks like that in 17-18. However, on the other hand, I think we have a better defensive all-around team game than we did then. Definitely one of the best seasons, not sure if the best ... let's see how they do in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A absolutely great season, every single team has a bad stretch or 2 during a very long regular season but we have great depth, play a very good team game and have great goaltending . Winning 8 games in a row down the stretch against some very good teams gives me alot of confidence in these playoffs. Anyway just a great season and props to Chevy and Bowness as well.

Nov 24, 2006
This was a great regular season for sure. Very happy to have ended with an 8 game winning streak after a rough patch.

Technically I think we had more points in 17/18, not sure which one was better though. Felt like we played as a team better this year than 17/18 maybe.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think it's incredible that we finished within 3 points of the 2017/18 team when you contrast the talent of that team vs this one

Laine, Schief, prime Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Stats, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, etc up front

Buff, Trouba, Jomo, Myers, Toby on the back end

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I kind of think so ... I don't remember feeling as confident that they could (and probably would) win almost every game, at least not since the peak of the WHA team in 1975-78.

I felt that way in 2017-18.

Felt genuinely weird then to see a Jets loss the next day because they were so utterly dominant and consistent. Had they not played through such an intense series with NSH (and had the stars not been ridden so hard) they might have gone all the way.

This team felt like that until the ASB or so. Then they looked vulnerable. Now, thankfully, they're playing closer to peak hockey again.

So some lower lows than 2018, and a less complete team with less outright elite talent, but similar balance and depth.

Absolutely an elite season though, superb defensive work for most of it and on the part of the whole team, deserving winners of the Jennings and hopefully able to go through a few rounds -- or more.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The systems and team defense that the current coaching regime brings has made this team a better bet for a successful playoff run. Doesn't mean it will happen because anything can happen in the post season against great teams. But the 17-18 team was lacking 5 man structure, discipline and structure. That team was terrible with NZ turnovers and against the rush, which ultimately showed up in an easy victory for a Vegas team that thrived off of rush chances. We consistently gave up more high danger chances to a dangerous Vegas team, and we were easily swept aside by them when they won 4 games in a row. The number of NZ turnovers and odd man rushes against was embarrassing. No structure.

Colorado is a high scoring team. We have been able to frustrate them in the regular season with that 5 man team structure, pressure to quickly take away time and space, active D with close gaps, hard backchecking, etc.. If we are able to stick to the system and gameplan, we can beat any team in the league and we have shown that already this year. Do the boys have the maturity to understand that, remain patient and resist opening up the game. That's the question. When we play run and gun hockey, we lose our strategic advantage - the systems that have made us a top NHL team all year.

This analysis about the Jets in the 18-19 season sums it up well including looking back at the series with Vegas.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
I think it's incredible that we finished within 3 points of the 2017/18 team when you contrast the talent of that team vs this one

Laine, Schief, prime Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Stats, Little, Perrault, Lowry, Copp, etc up front

Buff, Trouba, Jomo, Myers, Toby on the back end
Some of the key contributors on this team were also still on their ELC if I recall. That's amazing.

Reactions: Buffdog

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I loved the 2017-18 team, but I really think that this year's team would beat that team in the playoffs.
This year's team is much better defensively, and seems to have better coaching. The 2017-18 team got away with a lot of play that would defeat lesser teams, mostly because of the "X" factor that they had, which was, of course, Dustin Byfuglien.

I shiver to think what this year's team could be if they had Dustin Byfuglien from six years ago on it.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I felt that way in 2017-18.

Felt genuinely weird then to see a Jets loss the next day because they were so utterly dominant and consistent. Had they not played through such an intense series with NSH (and had the stars not been ridden so hard) they might have gone all the way.

This team felt like that until the ASB or so. Then they looked vulnerable. Now, thankfully, they're playing closer to peak hockey again.

So some lower lows than 2018, and a less complete team with less outright elite talent, but similar balance and depth.

Absolutely an elite season though, superb defensive work for most of it and on the part of the whole team, deserving winners of the Jennings and hopefully able to go through a few rounds -- or more.
i'm the opposite

I'll take statement wins down the stretch against PO opponents...

I'll take 52 ROW over 48
I'll take #1 in GA vs #5

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i'm the opposite

I'll take statement wins down the stretch against PO opponents...

I'll take 52 ROW over 48
I'll take #1 in GA vs #27
The Jets were not 27th in GA that year lol I think you have it in reverse. They were 5th least (which would be 27th most)

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Depends on how you view Hellebuyck, IMO. It's the only position where I see this team have a distinct advantage wrt talent. The 2018 central division was an unholy meatgrinder, and I think that skews the point totals in the standings a bit.

Then again, I think if Hellebuyck's rise to elite level happened 2 years earlier we win the cup in 2018 and we challenge in 2019. Having a top goalie is really valuable.

Reactions: TommyKillian

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Depends on how you view Hellebuyck, IMO. It's the only position where I see this team have a distinct advantage wrt talent. The 2018 central division was an unholy meatgrinder, and I think that skews the point totals in the standings a bit.

Then again, I think if Hellebuyck's rise to elite level happened 2 years earlier we win the cup in 2018 and we challenge in 2019. Having a top goalie is really valuable.
it's how we lost in 17/18...m we got gaolied by MAF

Reactions: Romang67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad