Best video game soundtrack?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think the slam dunk answer here is xenoblade chronicles for the wii.

Not only is it a legendary cast that made the music, the ost fits the settings better than any game I’ve ever played.

Best ever.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Tropico
Red Alert
Wave Race
Planescape: Torment (Tides of Numenera's soundtrack is pretty good too, despite the game being kinda mediocre)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Shadowrun: Returns and 2 sequels.

I generally prefer games with mostly all original tracks but Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines has a great mix of both.

Civ IV has the great title track obviously but also classical music that works wonderfully with a game you're playing for 4 hour stretches :laugh:

Reactions: HerpaDerp

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Super Mario World has the best of the Mario's.

and I can't believe nobody has mentioned F-Zero!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I love this soundtrack. While it's not the #1, I feel like it's an often forgotten one:

By the way, I have so many others to list, but I felt like throwing this one out there to get it more attention.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Rocket League has a great soundtrack. I leave it on during matches, it makes it feel more intense

RDR2 great as well for very different reasons

SG1990

Apr 11, 2019
The Last of Us
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts
RDR2

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I could be attributing this to the wrong thing, but voice acting kind of ruined video game soundtracks for me, because most of them are ambient/orchestral rather than melodic now (I assume at least partially for that reason), and they tend to sound a lot less interesting and more like movie soundtracks to me (for example, I don't really care for Last of Us' or God of War's soundtrack).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I listened to this soundtrack recently, and while it's kind of obvious/isn't my absolute favorite music or anything, I was pretty amazed by how every single track was so memorable. Most soundtracks have some highlights and some forgettable bits and you would never want to listen to them front to back, but this one holds together so well and actually feels album-y.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Every time this thread pops up I have to say Chrono Cross

I think once we did a huge vote and it won? I might be remembering wrong

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
It's this for me:

INSIDE_game_v1.2.png

I won't link the OST because it's something you need to experience while you play the game and I don't want to spoil anything for anybody.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's this for me:

INSIDE_game_v1.2.png

I won't link the OST because it's something you need to experience while you play the game and I don't want to spoil anything for anybody.
This is one of my picks for favorite/best games of all time, and I think the sound design is incredible, but I struggle to call it one of the greatest soundtrack, personally.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
This is one of my picks for favorite/best games of all time, and I think the sound design is incredible, but I struggle to call it one of the greatest soundtrack, personally.

Right. You said the same thing 7 months ago when I propped it for "Best Earworm". :D
I don't know what to tell you. I've been playin' video games for 40 years, and this is one of the very very very few games that I don't disable the music on while playing, because I find it so epic that it defies my disdain for almost all video game music.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Right. You said the same thing 7 months ago when I propped it for "Best Earworm". :D
I don't know what to tell you. I've been playin' video games for 40 years, and this is one of the very very very few games that I don't disable the music on while playing, because I find it so epic that it defies my disdain for almost all video game music.
Oh, haha, sorry I don't remember most posters names.

I'm curious though, do you actually listen to the soundtrack outside of playing the game?

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Oh, haha, sorry I don't remember most posters names.

I'm curious though, do you actually listen to the soundtrack outside of playing the game?

I didn't remember you by name, it was that your reply was almost an echo of what you said last time, so for a sec, I thought I was having deja vu. Then I looked up the convo. But, yeah. I like it a lot. It's even moved me to look into his (Martin Stig Andersen) other work.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I didn't remember you by name, it was that your reply was almost an echo of what you said last time, so for a sec, I thought I was having deja vu. Then I looked up the convo. But, yeah. I like it a lot. It's even moved me to look into his (Martin Stig Andersen) other work.
I'll give it a listen and see if I feel differently, thanks.

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad