Speculation: Best UFA Signing in Capitals History

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I will stand united in the Orpik-team. Every report and comment during his time here deflects of the respect and love he received by his teammates, and the "change in culture" (that channels through many and not just one changes though) that he was one of the biggest factors in. I would put him over Nisky easily, even though Matt was absolutely great for us too.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Caps probably would have at least 2 Cups by now if it WEREN'T for Orpik. Go watch Game 1 of the 2017 Pittsburgh series, 3rd period. Caps were completely dominating that game, and if they had won it they would probably go on to win the series (and then probably also the Cup). But Orpik's blown coverage on Nick Bonino in the 3rd cost them the game.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Caps probably would have at least 2 Cups by now if it WEREN'T for Orpik. Go watch Game 1 of the 2017 Pittsburgh series, 3rd period. Caps were completely dominating that game, and if they had won it they would probably go on to win the series (and then probably also the Cup). But Orpik's blown coverage on Nick Bonino in the 3rd cost them the game.
If that sentiment was shared by the team--players or management--he would not have been here as long as he was. You blame him, but his comrades praise him. I tend to think they know better.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It can very easily be both. He can have an impact on the locker room that draws the praise of his teammates while still have subpar results on the ice. Claiming he's the best signing in Capitals history purely based on his teammates liking him seems rather silly to me, but I know there's not really going to be any progress in this debate with the particular folks who are arguing for him at the moment.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If that sentiment was shared by the team--players or management--he would not have been here as long as he was. You blame him, but his comrades praise him. I tend to think they know better.

No halfway decent hockey player is going to throw a good team guy under the bus because he laid an egg on the ice. Just doesn't happen in hockey culture. Unless the guy was flat out not trying or selfish. That doesn't mean all the peewee plays Orpik made in his time here were good hockey.

The year we won the cup we were down 2-0 to Columbus and they hit Holtby in the mask in OT with a shot Holtby didn't track at all. An inch to either side and they're down 0-3 and out in the first round. All the insane accolades Orpik is getting for injecting them with Comraderie and Discipline to win the cup comes down to that shot hitting Holtby where it did, plus the Connolly/Eller bambi on skates clusterf*** that won that game in OT.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

That’s some fantasy-level extrapolation off of game 1 lol...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It can very easily be both. He can have an impact on the locker room that draws the praise of his teammates while still have subpar results on the ice. Claiming he's the best signing in Capitals history purely based on his teammates liking him seems rather silly to me, but I know there's not really going to be any progress in this debate with the particular folks who are arguing for him at the moment.

No halfway decent hockey player is going to throw a good team guy under the bus because he laid an egg on the ice. Just doesn't happen in hockey culture. Unless the guy was flat out not trying or selfish. That doesn't mean all the peewee plays Orpik made in his time here were good hockey.

The year we won the cup we were down 2-0 to Columbus and they hit Holtby in the mask in OT with a shot Holtby didn't track at all. An inch to either side and they're down 0-3 and out in the first round. All the insane accolades Orpik is getting for injecting them with Comraderie and Discipline to win the cup comes down to that shot hitting Holtby where it did, plus the Connolly/Eller bambi on skates cluster**** that won that game in OT.
I disagree with the idea that Orpik has been a barrier to success which was Sycamore's contention. But I also have not voted for anyone in this thread.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Ah, the old "I'm right and I'm not going to debate further because the people disagreeing with me are unreasonable" routine. OK.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I guess some here had their head's explode when the Caps traded him only to immediately sign him back and play him every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad