Speculation: Best UFA Signing in Capitals History

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A comment in the Niskanen/Gudas trade thread got my juices flowing. Is Matt Niskanen's deal the best UFA acquisition in Capitals history?

For the purposes of this thread, I'm only considering UFAs signed from other teams (not new UFA contract extensions for Capitals players). I'm also not considering undrafted free agents who were signed as prospects and played their way up through the minors (sorry Jay Beagle and Nate Schmidt).

Some potential candidates:
Matt Niskanen - 7 year, $5.75M AAV contract (8.33 CH%), 2014
Mike Knuble - 2 year, $2.8M AAV contract (4.93 CH%), 2009
Robert Lang - 5 year, $5M AAV contract (N/A CH%), 2002
Justin Williams - 2 year, $3.25M AAV contract (4.55 CH%), 2015
Joel Ward - 4 year, $3.00M AAV (4.67 CH%), 2011
Ulf Dahlen - 1 year(?), $850K AAV (N/A CH%), 1999*

*Not 100% sure about Dahlen's contract history, but I believe he signed a 1-year deal when he returned from Sweden and then new multi-year contract afterwards

So, the competition for best UFA signing in Capitals history isn't actually all that stiff. Almost every Capitals great was either drafted by the team or acquired via trade. Ultimately, Niskanen's only real competition is Robert Lang and Mike Knuble. But Lang spent less than two full seasons in Washington, on the Jagr-era teams that never really lived up to promise, and his ultimate contribution to the franchise turned out to be the assets the team acquired when they traded him to Detroit (Tomas Fleischmann and the draft pick that became Mike Green). Knuble was a terrific addition for the Capitals, and they ended up extending him after the contract ran out. He was part of the Capitals team that won the Pres Trophy for the first time, and a tremendous first line and PP asset. But he dropped off a cliff in his third season and that Pres Trophy team's season is ultimately tarnished by their playoff defeat. Williams was great, and I'd argue the team might not have won the Cup if he hadn't spent time in Washington, but he ended up leaving before they achieved the ultimate goal and was only around for two years. Ward was a fan favorite, but spent his first year largely on the fourth line for both Boudreau and Hunter (albeit scoring a series winning goal from that spot), and ultimately most everything Ward did, Ulf Dahlen did even better. Niskanen was signed to substantial deal, played a huge role for the Capitals, and was part of the team when they finally reached the promise land. Further still, he didn't stay in Washington long enough to see the worst years of his contract turn sour. All-in-all, I think Matt Niskanen is the best free agent signing in Washington Capitals history. Credit to Brian MacLellan.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I go Niskanen 1 Lang 2. Lang is the only one who was certainly one of the top 5 Caps any season, and Niskanen is the only one to be key on a team that won anything.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This ones tough. Knuble had a solid impact as well. The Justin Williams signing was great because he took a discount but it unfortunately didn’t work out cup wise. DSP should be mentioned for his playoff contributions on the cup run as well. He was playing on a very minimal contract

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Good debate, and to be honest I wish there was a better option on the board. I would say niski, because of the important role he played not only in the cup run, be he really stabilized and Corp that needed help. As alzner faltered and Carlson/orlov needed time he was huge along with orpik.

Lang just didn’t do it for me, maybe because those teams always seemed to come up short. Ward I loved but as said was more a role player. Williams I think was important to building a winning locker room although he didn’t last long enough to see the fruits of his labor. Knuble was also a fan favorite and played a key roll on those teams.
1) Niski
2) Knuble
3) Williams
4) Lang... ugh
5) Ward

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dahlen was definitely the best pick up from the trash heap. Man I forget the rest of his line but they were beastly keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

What KSD said though is the only truthiness answer.

Reactions: calicapsfan

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Going DSP for value during the Cup run. Realistically Niskanen probably had the biggest team impact--he helped stabilize a piss-poor defense, but I can't get over DSP's clutch goals last year. Joel Ward 3rd for beating Boston in OT game 7.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
In terms of value, Kip Miller was a great signing in the summer of 2002. $500k 1yr deal and he ended up with 50 points (12-38) which was good enough for 6th on the team.
Orpik and Niskanen were huge additions to the blueline, making it pretty much one of the best defensive squad in the league. Less time for guys like Oleksy, Carrick, etc, too.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If you believe the tales of brave Orpik transforming the dressing room, it's him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is this a joke? Orpik singlehandedly cost us the Penguins series in 2017.

I'd say its DSP and his whopping 7 goals during the Cup run.

Not remotely. The overall culture change that Orpik brought changed the team. They don't win the cup without him. Period.

Hockey teams are made up of people. Not numbers. This team does not win without that man on it. MacLellan singled out that man as a priority to build his team. Orpik was the player that McPhee never got and that the team needed all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Not remotely. The overall culture change that Orpik brought changed the team. They don't win the cup without him. Period.

Hockey teams are made up of people. Not numbers. This team does not win without that man on it. MacLellan singled out that man as a priority to build his team. Orpik was the player that McPhee never got and that the team needed all along.

I must have missed the Isles signing Orpik this year to bring about their culture change and cut down on 100 goals against

Oh, wait, that was Barry Trotz, just like for the Caps.

Niskanen was also brought in to be a "real gud pro", which he by all accounts was, while also being a top pairing shutdown defenseman on the ice in his time here instead of a pylon whose main on ice contribution in his first 3 years on the team was crosschecking guys into Holtby after getting undressed en route to a goal against. Why can't it be him?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I must have missed the Isles signing Orpik this year to bring about their culture change and cut down on 100 goals against

Niskanen was also brought in to be a "real gud pro", which he by all accounts was, while also being a top pairing shutdown defenseman on the ice in his time here instead of a pylon whose main on ice contribution in his first 3 years on the team was crosschecking guys into Holtby after getting undressed en route to a goal against. Why can't it be him?

I don't think he said Orpik single-handedly changed the defense. He said he played a big role in changing the culture from perpetual chokers to capable of winning the Cup. The Isles may still need someone like that, no matter how many years Trotz spends on the bench improving the defense, like he did in Nashville with no results.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I don't think he said Orpik single-handedly changed the defense. He said he played a big role in changing the culture from perpetual chokers to capable of winning the Cup. The Isles may still need someone like that, no matter how many years Trotz spends on the bench improving the defense, like he did in Nashville with no results.

I don't dispute that he was good in the room and helped bring about culture change and whatnot, but he won Pittsburgh more cups while on our roster than us so I'm a little hesitant putting him as the GOAT free agent signing over players who actually played up to their contracts on the ice.

Caps players also gushed over and over about Justin Williams teaching them how to approach big game moments and texted him on their flight back from Vegas, perhaps he was the Real Gud Pro responsible for bringing them the cup all along

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I go by what the players and the insiders say. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about. Its ok. I feel differently that you.

Example. Yes, Niskanen came in at the same time. The Niskanen contract was considered market while WE ALL knew that the Orpik contract was a bad contract. Why was MacLellan willing to make that commitment? He wanted that particular player for a list of reasons. The reasons were not confined to the room either. When the game is was on the line defensively, he was on the ice. When the Caps had to kill that 5 on 3 in finals, Orpik played nearly the entire thing.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I go by what the players and the insiders say. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about. Its ok. I feel differently that you.

Players and insiders say Brooks Orpik was the best UFA signing in Caps history?

I know they like him and all but... well okay then :huh:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Players and insiders say Brooks Orpik was the best UFA signing in Caps history?

I know they like him and all but... well okay then :huh:

You enjoy playing dumb?

How many quotes do you need to read before you accept what players and coaches have said about the guy repeatedly?

I guess you know better than what all the Pros say about his impact.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
You enjoy playing dumb?

How many quotes do you need to read before you accept what players and coaches have said about the guy repeatedly?

I guess you know better than what all the Pros say about his impact.

You accusing anyone else here of playing dumb is peak comedy. Take some remedial reading classes, read what I wrote then get back to me. I do not dispute that he had an impact in the locker room but the degree to which people blow it up just because he was mediocre to bad on the ice is ridiculous.

We got Barry Trotz, Mitch Korn, 4 top 4D for the first time in the Ovechkin era including best shutdown D we've had since Calle Jo (though still not as good a UFA signing as Orpik apparently), a 3C for the first time in the Ovechkin era, our core players spent a decade maturing and getting savvy and battle tested in the league where that is key for long playoff runs... but apparently all of that is secondary to a 5.5 million dollar #5/6D who was well liked in the locker room and whose former team won 2 consecutive cups over ours after losing his leadership.

Who is our 2nd greatest UFA signing ever? Joel Big Cheese Ward?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I asked a simple question. You seem to think you know better than the men who played with him and coached him.

Nuff said about you. Your Orpik bias is glaring

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I said it was Nisky in the thread that @Hivemind is referring to and I'm sticking to that. Niskanen was arguably a top 20 or top 25 player at his position during a sizable portion of his tenure here and he actually, in my opinion, outperformed his cap hit. How many UFAs, especially well paid ones, surpass expectations? Not many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad