Best Swedish Goalie Right Now

Who is the best Swedish goalie right now

• Total voters

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jeez, after Lundqvist's downfall this list doesn't look good.

Lehner over Markstrom by a hair.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Markstrom’s never had a .920 season, Lehner’s had 4 of the last 5 seasons above .920 and the one year he didn’t was behind one of the worst D cores I’ve ever seen.

Im not sure what Lehner’s situation is, but Markstrom gets absolutely peppered with high danger scoring chances every night.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Im not sure what Lehner’s situation is, but Markstrom gets absolutely peppered with high danger scoring chances every night.

Markstrom’s career high sv% is the same as Lehner’s career average, Lehner’s played behind worse D core too. When he was in Buffalo I think their 2nd best Dman was Marco Scandella, played behind Chicago this year their D sucks and have the worst defensive stats in the league.

Despite all this he still manages to put up elite numbers year after year, the one time he got to play behind a mediocre D core he had a .930 sv% and was a Vezina nominee.

Reactions: LeProspector

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Markstrom’s career high sv% is the same as Lehner’s career average, Lehner’s played behind worse D core too. When he was in Buffalo I think their 2nd best Dman was Marco Scandella, played behind Chicago this year their D sucks and have the worst defensive stats in the league.

Despite all this he still manages to put up elite numbers year after year, the one time he got to play behind a mediocre D core he had a .930 sv% and was a Vezina nominee.

Save percentage has a ton of variables to it. The Buffalo d-core was bad, but they actually were conducive to putting up decent save percentage numbers by giving up lots of lower percentage shots. Both Chad Johnson and Anders Nilsson were .920 goalies on those teams. His goals against was actually lower than his expected goals against in every season in Buffalo. Lehner also hasn't played a ton of games in most of his best seasons.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Markstrom’s never had a .920 season, Lehner’s had 4 of the last 5 seasons above .920 and the one year he didn’t was behind one of the worst D cores I’ve ever seen.
Lehner has mental issues. He's not right in the head. If he was, he'd be above Markstrom.
Lehner is very good
I should also note that Marky faces a ton of high percentage scoring opportunities. He is world class right now. You'll all see come these playoffs, he will steal multiple games

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lehner, Marky Mark, Ullmark, Nilsson, Högberg, Lundqvist. After that it's a crapshoot, but I'd have Lars Johansson above Hellberg, & Lassinanti. Not sure why they're there over him.

Yeah, the list with Hank's downfall is pretty weak, but Jesper Wallstedt is on the horizon, Hugo Alnefelt is looking great(of course he's Tampa property...), and Filip Gustavsson I still have hope for.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Lehner has mental issues. He's not right in the head. If he was, he'd be above Markstrom.
Lehner is very good
I should also note that Marky faces a ton of high percentage scoring opportunities. He is world class right now. You'll all see come these playoffs, he will steal multiple games
Wow ok

Reactions: JFG and theslatcher

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lehner, Marky Mark, Ullmark, Nilsson, Högberg, Lundqvist. After that it's a crapshoot, but I'd have Lars Johansson above Hellberg, & Lassinanti. Not sure why they're there over him.

I don’t think it really matters for those last few spots, but the reasoning for Lassinanti is that he’s a younger goalie whose had a lot of success.

Hellberg over Lars Johansson is based on my own personal opinion that he’s a better goalie. I think something you often see is that the CSKA defense plays better in front of the goalies than the SKA defense. The SKA goalies have to earn their stats a lot more, and I think Hellberg has done a good job of cleaning up the main problem in his game, which is horrendous rebound control. I think he’ll make it back to the NHL eventually. SKA’s had three goalies signed to NHL contracts in three consecutive years, and I think he’ll be the next, if Askarov doesn’t beat him to it.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Markstrom and (Leaf legend) Lehner are the clear cut top 2.

I'm going with Markstrom though. Guy was amazing for vancouver this year

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Lehner is very good

Yikes, dude.
This is why people with mental health issues are afraid to reach out for help.
Stigma like this is so deeply harmful.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Yikes, dude.
This is why people with mental health issues are afraid to reach out for help.
Stigma like this is so deeply harmful.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of "who would i rather have as my teams goalie". You think GM's dont take that kind of stuff into consideration?. I'm not blaming him. I feel bad for him.
But facts are facts and he's sick, or at least has shown signs / has provided indication to that extent.
Everyone wishes him the best... but to think that people overlook something that serious when assessing a players value is foolish.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm looking at it from the perspective of "who would i rather have as my teams goalie". You think GM's dont take that kind of stuff into consideration?. I'm not blaming him. I feel bad for him.
But facts are facts and he's sick, or at least has shown signs / has provided indication to that extent.
Everyone wishes him the best... but to think that people overlook something that serious when assessing a players value is foolish.
Could not care less if it's socially acceptable to say someone has mental issues, but I'm not sure Lehner's have really negatively impacted his on ice performance recently. It's a fact he has dealt with some stuff for sure, but I don't think it has necessarily made him a worse goalie...if that makes sense.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Could not care less if it's socially acceptable to say someone has mental issues, but I'm not sure Lehner's have really negatively impacted his on ice performance recently. It's a fact he has dealt with some stuff for sure, but I don't think it has necessarily made him a worse goalie...if that makes sense.
But i think it plays into the fact that he's played for four different teams it the last three years. If he was stable, with his on-ice stats, he'd easily be able to secure a long-term big dollar contract.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
But i think it plays into the fact that he's played for four different teams it the last three years. If he was stable, with his on-ice stats, he'd easily be able to secure a long-term big dollar contract.
That's all true, but what does the number of teams played for or contract status have to do with who is the best goalie?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
My Nucks are young and fun as hell to watch but my God the amount of times Marky stood on his head was nuts. The games against the Rangers, Canes and Hawks especially standout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad