WJC: Best Starting 6

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Instead of thinking who has the best line, I would rather just hear what people think about their first line and what they think about the individual players. Just to get an idea what to look for in every team.

People are saying that Finland has strong D but weaker F this year, but when you look at the first line it is not really true.

Tolvanen - Kuokkanen - Vesalainen
Heiskanen - Juolevi
Luukkonen

Tolvanen - Kuokkanen - Vesalainen has better prior achievements than Puljujärvi - Aho - Laine. I am not saying they will do anywhere as well, but on paper it looks good.

Vesalainen has a very nice amount of points, better than Pulju or Laine had before the WJC. Kuokkanen got some NHL games already and is doing fine in the AHL. Tolvanen has been magnificent in the KHL. Kuokkanen is the exactly the type of a center Tolvanen needs and Vesalainen is physically very mature and tends to do well against juniors.

Juolevi and Heiskanen are both top defensemen in their team. I would even claim that this is the best d-man pair in the tournament when it comes to all-around play.

I have my reservations about Juolevi, last year he was bashing the coaching during the tournament as the team captain. I detest players who sabotage their own team during a short tournament, no need to sow discontent because it cannot be fixed that quickly. I hear he had lousy attitude but has improved after being sent back to Finland and has started looking really good after a short adjustment. I assume he is going to be the team captain again.

Heiskanen often looks like the best defenseman in the league.

I am not sure who the goalie is going to be, Luukkonen is playing in tier-2 league but he can steal games.

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Instead of thinking who has the best line, I would rather just hear what people think about their first line and what they think about the individual players. Just to get an idea what to look for in every team.

People are saying that Finland has strong D but weaker F this year, but when you look at the first line it is not really true.

Tolvanen - Kuokkanen - Vesalainen
Heiskanen - Juolevi
Luukkonen

Tolvanen - Kuokkanen - Vesalainen has better prior achievements than Puljujärvi - Aho - Laine. I am not saying they will do anywhere as well, but on paper it looks good.

Vesalainen has a very nice amount of points, better than Pulju or Laine had before the WJC. Kuokkanen got some NHL games already and is doing fine in the AHL. Tolvanen has been magnificent in the KHL. Kuokkanen is the exactly the type of a center Tolvanen needs and Vesalainen is physically very mature and tends to do well against juniors.

Juolevi and Heiskanen are both top defensemen in their team. I would even claim that this is the best d-man pair in the tournament when it comes to all-around play.

I have my reservations about Juolevi, last year he was bashing the coaching during the tournament as the team captain. I detest players who sabotage their own team during a short tournament, no need to sow discontent because it cannot be fixed that quickly. I hear he had lousy attitude but has improved after being sent back to Finland and has started looking really good after a short adjustment. I assume he is going to be the team captain again.

Heiskanen often looks like the best defenseman in the league.

I am not sure who the goalie is going to be, Luukkonen is playing in tier-2 league but he can steal games.

Finland is anither good answer to this thread. Their top line is strong and their D is very good. If we compare your lineup to the OP, it raises some interesting questions, such as: how does D+1 Heiskanen compare to draft year Dahlin? D+2 Juolevi to D+1 Liljegren? I feel the Swedes in these comparisons have higher potential, but the Finns have experience and maturity on their side.

The one area Sweden has a clear advantage in would be in goal. All it takes however is a 7 game hot streak and everything changes.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I assume he is going to be the team captain again.

Välimäki is confirmed to be the captain. Luukkonen is a clear n.1, he has been playing great in Mestis recently.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Sweden has Pettersson and Dahlin in their starting 6.. not fair lol

I don't really understand that insane hype on Dahlin. Sure is promising player, but for example Miro Heiskanen was clearly better in the previous EHT games

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I don't really understand that insane hype on Dahlin. Sure is promising player, but for example Miro Heiskanen was clearly better in the previous EHT games
I have to agree with this. He might be the most talented defenseman in the tournament but i've not seen anything from him that makes him better player right now than Heiskanen.. Or even Juolevi for that matter.

Reactions: illone84

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
dont forget finland has Heponiemi whos playing a heck of a season currently! 29 games and 72 points!

Plair

Feb 27, 2012

Dahlin is very likely going to be a franchise-player in the NHL and Heiskanen a solid top-3 defenceman. That's the difference.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I think people are really really overrating Alex Nylander. Liljegren hasn't shown anything exceptional either.

I’m not saying Sweden has the best top 6 but I’ll bite... how about you say which countries that has this amazing top 6 with a bunch of teenagers with great proven track record that is better than Sweden or even Finland?

Objecting people’s opinion without giving us your own only make you look like a fool.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I’m not saying Sweden has the best top 6 but I’ll bite... how about you say which countries that has this amazing top 6 with a bunch of teenagers with great proven track record that is better than Sweden or even Finland?

Objecting people’s opinion without giving us your own only make you look like a fool.
What opinion? My opinion was that those two players are too highly regarded compared to their achievements. That's all. I dunno enough about NA prospects to tell you who really has the strongest top 6.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think people are really really overrating Alex Nylander. Liljegren hasn't shown anything exceptional either.
Uh..... Nylander had 12 points at the WJC last year to tie for the tournament lead. The year before that, as a 17 year old, he was 6th in scoring. So this all brings up the following question; What the hell are you talking about?!

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
What opinion? My opinion was that those two players are too highly regarded compared to their achievements. That's all. I dunno enough about NA prospects to tell you who really has the strongest top 6.

...but the point of the thread was what again?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Finland is anither good answer to this thread. Their top line is strong and their D is very good. If we compare your lineup to the OP, it raises some interesting questions, such as: how does D+1 Heiskanen compare to draft year Dahlin? D+2 Juolevi to D+1 Liljegren? I feel the Swedes in these comparisons have higher potential, but the Finns have experience and maturity on their side.

The one area Sweden has a clear advantage in would be in goal. All it takes however is a 7 game hot streak and everything changes.

Heiskanen was on another planet vs Dahlin in men's EHT tournament month or two ago. Between Juolevi and Liljegren I have no clue. As for which top 6 would I take, the answer is without hesitation the Finns. Not that the Swedes couldn't compete if these lines played vs each another but the Finns would hold an edge. Both combos would have what it takes to dominate the tournament. Of course it's too early to even know what the lines look like when the games begin.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Can we leave the Dahlin vs Heiskanen piss off for after the tourney. Im sure the games will show who is currently better, just eait a few more days.

@Joe Zanussi, cheers brother. It's not a bad top6 but don't think it's on Sweden's level. I don't think it's worse than the finnish one though. US should have some advantage at F and Finland with advantage at D.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Can we leave the Dahlin vs Heiskanen piss off for after the tourney. Im sure the games will show who is currently better, just eait a few more days.

@Joe Zanussi, cheers brother. It's not a bad top6 but don't think it's on Sweden's level. I don't think it's worse than the finnish one though. US should have some advantage at F and Finland with advantage at D.
Oh I agree. I didnt mean to imply that the US Top 6 was better than anybody else's. Just answering the question.

IMO, Sweden is 1 and everybody else is battling for a distant second in the battle for Top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad