TV: Best SNL sketches

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
One of the best weekend update jokes ever.

I also enjoy one that goes something like this

“A little wrinkle in the trial for O.J. the other day as Johnny Cochran put on the cap that was found at the scene of the murders. O.J. likely hurt his chances when he got up and shouted “hey, careful with that, that’s my lucking stabbin’ hat.”
My favorite Norm joke was "A director filming a documentary on juvenile violence was savagely beaten by teenagers. When asked why they attacked the director the assailants said they had nothing against the man, they just love irony."

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
My favorite Norm joke was "A director filming a documentary on juvenile violence was savagely beaten by teenagers. When asked why they attacked the director the assailants said they had nothing against the man, they just love irony."

Haha! That’s really funny.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I find this series of cast mates probably the worst in memory. Beck Bennet, Mikey Day, and Kate McKinnon are clearly better than the rest and are the most versatile. I can't think of the top if any current cast members have reoccurring characters that are memorable or must see.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I find this series of cast mates probably the worst in memory. Beck Bennet, Mikey Day, and Kate McKinnon are clearly better than the rest and are the most versatile. I can't think of the top if any current cast members have reoccurring characters that are memorable or must see.
SNL's never been that great. Since the beginning, it's ALWAYS been a few good skits (and the occasional great skit) drowning in a bunch of bad ones.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Cecily Strong
Keenan Thompson
Alex Moffat

I enjoy all these people as well. I think the current cast is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the Wiig, Hader, Armisen era.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I disagree . I think the cast is finally hitting its stride. I really like Moffat, Mooney, Bennet , Strong , Fineman and Gardner.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I disagree . I think the cast is finally hitting its stride. I really like Moffat, Mooney, Bennet , Strong , Fineman and Gardner.
I like Moffat and Mooney a lot I just don't think the writing is very good. Bennett is like Hartman/Hammond, very versatile.

When they had that huge overhaul I knew it would take time to hit their stride. I've been watching for over 30 years and i don't find them as funny as before. Versatility is so important and I find they are more or less themselves playing a role instead of embracing a character.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I remember this one:

“Wildlife experts expect that elk populations will drop this year after record breaking snowfalls.

Apparently, deep snow drifts make elk more susceptible to attacks by wolves.

Or so the Germans would have us believe.”

And then he just stared at the camera for a few seconds.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I like Moffat and Mooney a lot I just don't think the writing is very good. Bennett is like Hartman/Hammond, very versatile.

When they had that huge overhaul I knew it would take time to hit their stride. I've been watching for over 30 years and i don't find them as funny as before. Versatility is so important and I find they are more or less themselves playing a role instead of embracing a character.

The more versatile you are, the better you will do on that show. People like Hartman, Hader, Mackinnon, Hammond etc. had a lot of success on that show because they could do so many different things.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I remember this one:

“Wildlife experts expect that elk populations will drop this year after record breaking snowfalls.

Apparently, deep snow drifts make elk more susceptible to attacks by wolves.

Or so the Germans would have us believe.”

And then he just stared at the camera for a few seconds.

You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why they fired Norm MacDonald, I'll never know. He was the best.

Too many O.J. jokes I guess. The guy that fired him was named Don Ohlmeyer, who was friends with O.J. There might have been other reasons, but that’s considered by many people to be the main reason. I did love when Norm came back to host a few years after being fired and said the show sucked in his monologue.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Too many O.J. jokes I guess. The guy that fired him was named Don Ohlmeyer, who was friends with O.J. There might have been other reasons, but that’s considered by many people to be the main reason. I did love when Norm came back to host a few years after being fired and said the show sucked in his monologue.

Norm Macdonald believes he was fired as SNL "Weekend Update" anchor because of his "experimental stuff" -- not for mocking O.J. Simpson - PRIMETIMER

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Ohlmeyer claimed he didn’t get Norm’s humour. He didn’t think he was funny on update. Most people I know loved Norm on update, but maybe his humour wasn’t for everyone. There were times where I was laughing and the audience was not giving him anything. I do understand how his humour wouldn’t be for everyone. He’s still my favourite weekend update anchor though.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

Yeah, Smigel wrote for SNL and then was Conan’s first head writer. I heard an interview with Dana Carvey where he said that if he were building a writing staff for a sketch show, he would get Smigel to be the head writer. Of course, he also wrote the Ambiguously gay duo cartoons for SNL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad