TV: Best SNL sketches

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Can't Believe Gosling has only hosted twice.
Oh that's who it was. Yeah, everyone was really good in that, even the choreography.

It would nice to have a Strangers With Candy thread, but those are like full-episode plots. That probably wouldn't be as amenable to video clips as sketch comedy shows are. Maybe Monty Python or Kids In the Hall would work.

Last edited:

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I was young, maybe 12 but I heard about this comedy show so I stayed up to watch it. I was excited.

Then at 11:30 pm when it was supposed to come on .. they put up a graphic saying the show wasnt going to be shown that night and they had some other thing going on so I turned it off.

Come to find out .. it was a cold opening and that episode was really funny.

Thats the day I became a Kids in the Hall kid.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I stumbled on a Hulu doc about the shortlived Dana Carvey Show on ABC. The show featured unknown versions of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert as supporting cast members. Robert Smigel, Louis CK, Bob Odenkirk among others.

The show only taped eight episodes with the last one never making it to air. The Tom Brokaw sketch was on that unaired episode and they'd recycle it for when Carvey hosted SNL several months later.

Another thing I didn't know was that the Ambiguously Gay Duo started on the Carvey show before migrating to SNL with Smigel. Now it makes sense why Colbert/Carell continued to do the voices despite never being on the SNL cast.

Definitely would recommend the Hulu doc. Interesting story about the writers not quite understanding their audience. Mix in some corporate interference with Disney purchasing ABC after the crew was developing the show.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Why has SNL been repeats for the last 3 weeks, I can understand 1 week for the March break, but they take too much time off in my opinion.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why has SNL been repeats for the last 3 weeks, I can understand 1 week for the March break, but they take too much time off in my opinion.

I suppose I never noticed but it seems like an annual thing.

2024: March 9 (Josh Brolin) - March 30 (Ramy Youssef)
2023: March 11 (Jenna Ortega) - April 1 (Quinta Brunson)
2022: March 12 (Zoe Kravitz) - April 2 (Jerrod Carmichael)
2019: March 9 (Idris Elba) - March 30 (Sandra Oh)
2018: March 17 (Bill Hader) - April 7 (Chadwick Boseman)

I can only imagine that writing for SNL would be a grind. Getting a two week midseason break would help recharge the batteries.

Reactions: hoglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad