Best Skating Prospects

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'll open this debate at both the individual level and at the team level. I know NJ focuses heavy on speed up front in the draft and our prospect list reflects it. The top 10 skating prospects in NJ's organization are simply explosive.

1.) Michael McLeod
2.) Brandon Gignac
3.) Miles Wood
4.) Nico Hischier
5.) Marian Studenic
6.) Brett Seney
7.) Blake Speers
8.) Jesper Bratt
9.) Jesper Boqvist
10.) Joey Anderson

Some of these are debatable, I almost put Gignac #1. I believe Tampa has some strong skating prospects as well.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Ducks have three D prospects with excellent mobility - Montour, Larsson and Mahura.

Up front, Jones and Kopacka are two big framed wingers who can really motor.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Thomas Chabot comes to mind.

For the Bruins, the following are all top tier skaters by NHL standards:

1. Zach Senyshyn
2. Andres Bjork
3. Charlie McAvoy
4. Urho Vaakanainen
5. Jakub Zboril

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Cale Makar. His first few steps look just like Mackinnon which is kinda weird to see with a defenseman.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Wow, what a rush...

If you've watched him, you know what I'm talking about. That link really doesn't show his top speed but just how easy he makes it look to get past the defender. I doubt there are 10 better skating prospects than him.

Oh, that list only included players from one team. My bad. No wonder some names I had never heard of.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Isn't Cliff Pu pretty good on the blades? And if Anderson is on the list, then Mittelstadt should be. I would guess that there are others not named that are better skaters than both of them, not that they are any slouches. Droghe is a nutz skater.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Isn't Cliff Pu pretty good on the blades? And if Anderson is on the list, then Mittelstadt should be. I would guess that there are others not named that are better skaters than both of them, not that they are any slouches. Droghe is a nutz skater.
That is New Jersey' s top 10. I havent seen Walsh skate so that may bump anderson out of top 10.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This conversation needs more Travis Sanheim. At 6'4 he just devours ice quickly. He reminds of Jeff Carter when he gets going.

Here he is going end to end for a beauty in the AHL mind you.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cale Makar is like a defencive version of Nathan MacKinnon. Very explosive, very fluid, and very flashy (now lets hope he has the talent to go along with it). It would be interesting to see who would be faster in all categories of skating, Thomas Chabot or Makar.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's too bad that skating is about all he does well.

By far. Skates like Karlsson. Just thinks the game like your average beer leaguer.

Oh drop the ignorant hyperbole. Kylington thinks the game as well as any typical just-turned-20 offensive defenseman prospect. He was being matched up to tougher comp with lesser linemate quality than Andersson last year and still outproduced Andersson while being almost a year younger, you don't do that with just skating.

But yeah, he is a great skater too. It seems people think that his skating is his only good trait though, which is misinformed at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad