Best skaters on each team?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Will be interesting to see how Luke slots in after NCAA season ends.
He might not be able to skate if he plays again for the U.S team during the WJC.:mad:

What? Hughes tendon is cut open? well he can play through it till the end of the game. -U.S Coach

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I remember Lomberg on the Flames had awesome speed on the forecheck, but I don’t ever remember him carrying the puck
Yeah lol you can be fast be it’s useless if you can’t carry or receive the puck

Montreal IMO

1- Byron (although may have slowed down with recent injuries)
2- Caufield
3- Matheson
4- Drouin
5- Anderson
6- Pitlick
7- Hoffman
8- Suzuki (great technical skater)
9- Wideman
10- Dadonov
11- Monahan (looked pretty fast in pre-season)
12- Evans
13- Dach
14- Barron
15- Harris
16- Guhle
17- Pezzetta
18- Gallagher (has slowed down with age)
19- Dvorak
20- Armia
21- Edmundson
22- Slafkovsky
23- Savard
24- Xhekaj
25- Kovacevic
If Monahan is fast on your team, you have a big problem

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Necas is a good north-south skater, so he qualifies here if you like speed demons.

For power, Svechnikov is like a freight train running downhill. When you see him coming out of his own zone, it doesn't look like much to be afraid of. When he gets to the blue line, you routinely see defensemen have that "oh ****" moment where they realize he's still accelerating and can blow right past them on the outside. He's also very, very good dancing around in small spaces while also staying strong on his edges. Not a lot of bigger guys move the way he does.

If you love technical edgework, a low-key candidate is Slavin. It's nothing spectacular but if you watch him over the course of the game you really start to appreciate that he's never off balance, never loses his low center of gravity, just continuously smooth and pure with his footwork. It shows up maybe 1-2 times a month when someone tries to put a body on him and looks like they tried to hit a linebacker, not because he's huge but because he has such good balance.

Context is key here, The Canes have a lot of good skaters It's an RBA must have.... If it's speed then Necas is your guy as he's the fastest clocked skater in the NHL.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah lol you can be fast be it’s useless if you can’t carry or receive the puck

If Monahan is fast on your team, you have a big problem
Yeah that's pretty damning if the guy whose biggest weakness his entire career was his poor skating is above average on your team AFTER he's been cooked by injuries

Reactions: 1989 and DFF

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Good idea for a thread! To my eye...
Duclair is Florida's fastest and most evasive skater.
Barkov is noticeably fast as well, and he's probably Florida's most powerful skater.
Forsling is fast, and he's probably Florida's most fluid skater.
Verhaeghe, Montour, and Lomberg all have above-average speed as well.

Overall, skating is not the Panthers' strength, which is funny because that's what the commenters (especially our TV crew) kept emphasizing all year round. The team has never been about speed; they've just had a lot of talent, and it manifests in scoring off the rush.

Reactions: ScottyMascotty

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I wanted to make a thread just to get a feel of which players have the best skating ability around the league. Feel free to mention multiple players, and what specifically makes them a great skater (ie. speed, agility, edgework)

I'm gonna start by making a list of my best guesses for each team

ANA - Cam Fowler
ARZ - Jakob Chychrun?
BOS - Taylor Hall, Matt Grzelcyk
BUF - Jeff Skinner
CGY - Oliver Kylington
CAR - Martin Necas??? (I'm not too sure about this one)
CHI - Seth Jones?
COL - Cale Makar, Nathan MacKinnon (obviously)
CBJ - Eric Robinson??? (I know Gaudreau has elite skating in tight spaces, but he's not exactly the fastest guy in open ice)
DAL - Miro Heiskanen
DET - Dylan Larkin
EDM - Connor McDavid
FLA - Anthony Duclair???
LAK - Adrian Kempe, Andreas Athanasiou, Sean Walker???
MIN - Kirill Kaprizov, Jonas Brodin?
MTL - Jonathan Drouin?
NSH - Roman Josi
NJD - Jack Hughes
NYI - Mathew Barzal
NYR - Chris Kreider
OTT - Thomas Chabot?
PHI - Travis Konecny
PIT - Bryan Rust, Kasperi Kapanen??? Crosby/Letang??
SJS - Erik Karlsson
SEA - Andre Burakovsky???
STL - Jordan Kyrou, Nick Leddy
TBL - Victor Hedman, Brayden Point
TOR - Morgan Rielly, William Nylander, Mitch Marner
VAN - Quinn Hughes
VGK - Jack Eichel
WSH - Evgeny Kuznetsov
WPG - Nikolaj Ehlers, Kyle Connor

I'm looking forward to hear about your teams players :)
For PIT I’d say it’s probably Letang or Kapanen.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that Gaudreau has left I'm really not sure who's the best skater on the Flames. Nobody really stands out. Kylington might be the fastest but is fastest the best?

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Overall, skating is not the Panthers' strength, which is funny because that's what the commenters (especially our TV crew) kept emphasizing all year round. The team has never been about speed; they've just had a lot of talent, and it manifests in scoring off the rush.
I think it can be interpreted as "speed of decision making" because team played last season with very fast-paced style.

Reactions: kerrabria

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Best skater? What does that mean?
Fastest? Smoothest? Most agile?

Kreider is definitely the most powerful skater on the Rangers, but Fox or Jones are probably the most agile. Miller the smoothest.
Could it not mean all those things? If there's no clear answer, you may have to split skating into subcategories like you did here.

In other cases, your answer is a simple McDavid, Larkin, Barzal, Kariya, Bure, Karlsson, Niedermayer, Coffey.

teugen

cats on a rampage
Dec 30, 2015
For Florida this is Barkov and its not even close. His way of using the blade is art.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad