Best Show in Town

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Discuss.....

My favourite is The Jason Gregor Show... Gregor who groomed Strudwick to be a radio guy. For sure Strudwick has improved a lot and as a matter of fact his show is the second best behind Gregor.

Last edited:

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
hate Gregor's voice and know-it-all-ism. turned it off long ago after listening for a long time. Brownlee was usually the bright spot.

listened to Strudwick a couple times. he was OK. just dont have the time to listen to a lot of media anymore and to be frank it's boring at this point.

im fine with Stauffer. i understand his position as half shill and half genuine hockey/oiler fan living the dream. it's easy to read between the lines and he usually gives the best "inside" knowledge of things through direct comment or allusion/innuendo. people take him too seriously and need a diaper change.

the rest i listened to here and there over the past couple years an will on occasion but the team is far too depressing to dig into media.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
hate Gregor's voice and know-it-all-ism. turned it off long ago after listening for a long time. Brownlee was usually the bright spot.

listened to Strudwick a couple times. he was OK. just dont have the time to listen to a lot of media anymore and to be frank it's boring at this point.

im fine with Stauffer. i understand his position as half shill and half genuine hockey/oiler fan living the dream. it's easy to read between the lines and he usually gives the best "inside" knowledge of things through direct comment or allusion/innuendo. people take him too seriously and need a diaper change.

the rest i listened to here and there over the past couple years an will on occasion but the team is far too depressing to dig into media.

I agree with all of this 100%

People need to listen to radio in other markets. If there is one franchise in Canada that deserves non stop radio slamfest its the leafs. However, when you listen to Leafs Lunch or Prime Time Sports or whatever Toronto area market sports talk show you aren't going to find one radio personality asking a GM something along the lines of.... WTF were you smoking when you signed Clarkson! Why aren't you trading Phaneuf! When are you firing Carlyle! and so on... but that's what people want to hear because the team isn't winning and you are all pissed off. Rightfully so I might add.

The point is that all top radio hosts in all markets act with a high degree of professionalism. They all want to keep their jobs and by doing so they might not be as critical of the team as one would like or might leave things unsaid that most feel need to be said.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Definitely Strudwick he's hilarious.

I find Stauffer's show to be repetitive and somewhat like Oilers propaganda.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I'm a Oilers Now junkie. I realize that its an Oilers propaganda machine but its a good place to get Oilers information and i like to listen to the podcast version when i'm getting dinner ready. Pretty much all Oilers related shows on CHED are apologist versions but i love when even they get down on the dumps with this team. I usually find the true Bob Stauffer to appear during blowout losses during play by play. The next day when he does the show he has time to prepare himself and accept the drubbing. While its happening you can tell he's mad as hell.

the OILERS!!! radio network.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
Every single day i come into the office I tune into TSN1260 with Lowtide. He has interesting people with great insight. Great CFL topics with Eskimos and other around the league. He promote local sport and the city and not too much of a homer. Loves the Oilers topics and interesting texts messages that are on the show. Best rants and chemistry with lieutenant Eric.

(Hockey and Oilers 70%, Eskimos and NFL, and CFL 20%, 10% Other Stuff)

Awesome well rounded sport talk show. :nod:

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
I enjoy Nielson and Fraser

i would say it goes

1 Nielson and Fraser
2 Jason Strudwick
3 Lowdown

4 The Jason Gregor Show

5 Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer

6 The Dave Jamieson Show

7 Pre/Post Game CHED - Brown and Wilkins

8 Inside Sports with Reid Wilkins

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Listen to Nielson and Fraser on the morning drive to Uni, listen to Struds on the way back. Both great, I prefer Nielson and Fraser soley for the Kavis Reed pump up song.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Struds is the best. He knows all the in's and the out's and his guests are practically his BFF's. They share hilarious stories of their playing times and off ice shenanigans. He has a great grasp on the room and behind the scenes stuff no other sports guys have unless they've played in the NHL.

Gregor, used to like a lot. Listen to him everyday after work. Lately though, his hate on for some players is too much. He's had a know it all attitude that is starting to wear on me after all these years.

Stauffer is very good. He's insanely patient with his callers. Obviously he is in the inner circle and everything he says is a precursor of what may happen. The guy is connected and knowledgable. I catch Oiler's Now whenever I can. He's in a tough position with being paid by the Oiler's and criticizing them. He does it well though. Not over the top like he used to do on 1260, but he is vocal about issues, don't be fooled. He sugar coats issues very well while imposing his opinion. Gotta respect that.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Listen to Nielson and Fraser on the morning drive to Uni, listen to Struds on the way back. Both great, I prefer Nielson and Fraser soley for the Kavis Reed pump up song.

This is why I dislike Nielson and Fraser. Recycled jokes over and over, Weird sound effects, Omark trade proposals ect.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
They're all good for me. I used to always listen to Nielsen/Fraser in the morning and Gregor in the aft. but have stopped listening for whatever reason. My times of scheduling for listening time, I usually find myself listening to Bob Stauffer's afternoon lunch and Reid Wilkins show(s). Pretty good.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
1. Gregor
2. Jamieson
3. Nielson & Fraser
4. Lowetide
5. Strudwick
6. Stauffer
7. CHED Esks' postgame
8. Wilkins
9. CHED Oilers' postgame

I can't stand 630 CHED so my amount of listening really drops off after #5.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
as an oiler fan i am very happy there are shows all day that could be talking oilers. That makes me happy, but I hate it when they talk other sports for some reason. I only want 24/7 hockey talk.

I love struds post game, lowtide, morning mandate is unreal, and gregor. Although I don't like gregor as a person, but his show is good.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Jamieson imo.

Gregor is a know it all jock sniffer and Brownlee is clueless, I liked Stauffer better when he was on Oilers Lunch.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Gregor and Lowtide. Love Mitchell's banter with Dennis King.

Ched's Post game is pretty good. Brown is subtle in his shots at Oilers' management (he can only so much)

Stauffer is connected by he's such a propaganda bullhorn. His constant trumpeting why Draisaitl is sooooo much better off up in the NHL is getting laughable. I mean, get serious, Bubba. We know you don't really think that and would be roasting these guys if Katz hadn't offered you the dream job a few years back.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
1.The Jason Gregor Show - gave up on Gregor years ago. Boring.
2.Jason Strudwick - have only listened once early on. I should give him a chance I guess.
3.Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer - avoid at all cost.
4.Lowdown - never listened. Sure didn't care for his blog.
5.Inside Sports with Reid Wilkins - not as brutal as he was at first. But still bad.
6.Nielson and Fraser - never listened.
7.The Dave Jamieson Show - don't even know what it is.
8.Pre/Post Game CHED - Brown and Wilkins - try to listen as often as I can. I think Rob Brown is the most knowledgeable commentator I've heard on Edmonton radio.
Also not as much of a shill as everyone else on CHED.

I realize this isn't a popular point of view, but I wish Tencer was still doing an Oilers show. At least it was interesting and he got good guests.
He also focused on hockey 90% of the time which is good for me because I don't care about any other sports.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
The only shows that I really listen to is Nielson and Fraser on my way home from work, and the Strudwick show on my way to work, so I can only judge those two. But I like Nielson and Fraser just because they don't seem to take themselves too seriously and don't spend 95 percent of their show talking about the Oilers/NHL

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Struds. No matter how many times I may disagree with him, he's hilarious. And I appreciate his perspective. He's gotten a lot better over the past year in terms of being able to give a well spoken, more thorough/in depth opinion on things.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Funny thing is without the CHED and Oilers tethers - Dan Tencer is actually worthy of reading on Twitter.

In case anyone ever needed evidence of media being censored by the team.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Jason Gregor is the best imo. He researches stats and information and has a non irratating voice. I know a lot of people think he is a know it all but I think this comes from having to respond to know it all's like Rishaug and so forth. Stauffer is stuck having to be a voice for management. Fraser just irratates me was glad he left as Gregor's side kick. I might have bias but have listened to Gregor since he was Rob Kerr's sidekick on just a game on cjca.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad