Best shoes for ball hockey

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
I might join an outdoor ball hockey league soon and was wondering what kind of shoes people wear for it. It's a smooth concrete surface so I don't think running shoes would do (too slippery).

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I would think a basketball shoe would probably be your best bet. They're made for giving support for a lot of quick lateral movements. While you won't be making quite as many of those movements as you would in basketball, you'll still do a lot of them - plus of course they are meant to be grippy for somewhat slippery gym floors.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My buddy has played both indoor and outdoor ball hockey for over a decade. He wears Mizuno volleyball high-top shoes.

As mentioned, he says a lot of guys in his league wear basketball shoes. High-tops are recommended because rolled ankles are a common injury with all the cutting and stop-starts.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
There's a brand called Knappers which makes shoes specifically designed for ball hockey, they have great traction & offer some protection as well. I ordered a pair but had to return them because they were too small, ended up just buying a pair of Asics court shoes. But I hope to switch to Knappers when I get a new pair, just impossible to find in store so you have to make sure they'll fit. They fit a half size small IMO
Shoes

Reactions: Dingo
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
There's a brand called Knappers which makes shoes specifically designed for ball hockey, they have great traction & offer some protection as well. I ordered a pair but had to return them because they were too small, ended up just buying a pair of Asics court shoes. But I hope to switch to Knappers when I get a new pair, just impossible to find in store so you have to make sure they'll fit. They fit a half size small IMO
Shoes

is it just me or do those prices seem a bit high?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
is it just me or do those prices seem a bit high?
$139 for high top sneakers & $99 for low top is pretty in line with Nike, Adidas, etc
They are a pretty niche market as there are no other shoes specifically designed for ball hockey, they're also a small company so their production costs and everything are higher. They have a bunch of guards/padding in them so like even if someone stomped on your toe it would almost feel like you were weighing steel toes, but they're still very light.

They do go on sale fairly often I think though, I bought a pair for $79 I believe

Reactions: Vk1ing

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Adidas Sambas worked well for me. They're commonly used for futsal, which is indoor soccer on a hard court. The same pair lasted me like 5 years.

Last edited:

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Sister-in-law and family were over for a distanced birthday celebration a few weeks back, first time we’d socialized with them in over a year. My nephew had just come from lacrosse practice and was wearing some New Balance shoes. As a longtime NB wearer (they’re the only ones that properly fit my wide feet) I commended him on the choice. I noted they were odd looking basketball shoes though. SIL informed me that they were made for box lacrosse. This was new to me because my youngest daughter, when she played, wore basketball shoes. Relatively recent innovation as it turns out. I’d assume they’d work equally well since many of the movements are similar. INDOOR LACROSSE - New Balance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I haven't played for about 6 years or so due to age and work commitments but I switched to steel toe runners as both of my big toe nails were constantly black, plus I like to use my feet as backup when I sweep check as a smaller not so fast Dman.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Shoes

Have you tried any of Knappers equipment? I mostly found them through your post, but nobody that I know in my leagues use any of their inventory.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Do Knappers have a goalie shoe? I've seen goalie shoes sold by ReasonY, Passau, Unihoc, and the DekGoalie website.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Shoes

Their shoe sizes seem really off to me. I typically wear a 10.5 or 11 in USA. However, by the measurements on their site, I'd be a 7 for them? I feel like I'd reading it wrong or something because that's a bit more than half a size off.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Their shoe sizes seem really off to me. I typically wear a 10.5 or 11 in USA. However, by the measurements on their site, I'd be a 7 for them? I feel like I'd reading it wrong or something because that's a bit more than half a size off.
That sounds really off, they’re telling you to down size lol I’m a US 11 and I bought a pair in size 11, my toes were jammed up against the end of the shoe and they were so small! The shoe itself feels really protective though and surprisingly lightweight, traction seems great too. They seem to be a good brand if you can get a proper fit. No stores carry them out here though, I think you could only try on in person in Quebec

They don’t seem very well known though as I play in 2 very big ball hockey leagues (Premiere Ball Hockey League & LangleyHockeyHouse) and I’ve never seen anyone wearing their stuff. I think ASICS court shoes are probably the most popular, that’s what I wear. They are decent but I would like the extra protection the Knapper shoes offer

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
has anyone tried using Futsal sneakers for ball hockey? I play on a rink with this 'tile':

1656002893572.png

Reactions: Vk1ing

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Any court shoes will do, basketball, badminton, any indoor court shoe just do yourself a favor and don't wear running shoes.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad