TV: Best series finales

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
M*A*S*H

I also liked the Sopranos ending. The Americans is probably 2nd favorite but the MASH finale is just something else. That show was before my time but I watched it all, and many episodes on repeat. Such a good finale.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dexter's finale was so bad I wasn't even mad. Legit laughed.

And that's coming from someone who wasn't as critical of the more poor seasons as a lot of others were.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm obviously out of context - never watched the series - but I don't see it at all. Just feels kind of cheap and the music kills any impact the events may have had. It's way too dominant.
It's not something that I feel strongly enough about either way to either fully defend or to fully criticize (again, it wouldn't be very close to one of my choices for favorite ending). I agree that it leans a little closer towards the lesser "manipulative music-video for the sake of extracting feels" side of things than the greater "organically artful, beautiful, and perfect" side of things, but I can't deny that I do find it very effective and that it does bring up all of those thoughts for me. Whether it's cheap or not (it does beat you over the head with it), it is a very effective way to capitalize on the experience of becoming attached to the growth of the characters throughout the series.

The song is very cheesy and overbearing out of context, but that's softened by a sentiment that gets expressed earlier in the season about bad music (one that I don't buy but can begrudgingly accept that the character would).

For the record, I don't think I would recommend the show to you. It very much operates on that kind of level in general, and I've always viewed it as more of a universally accessible/relateable/charming gateway-type show more for viewers who haven't really been convinced about the potential for entertainment to be powerful, rather than anything that's close to the peak of that experience. I do respect it more than stuff like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, because it does go after a feeling that's admirable/likeable/valuable and more or less pulls it off, despite flaws and reservations.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The Americans was the best finale I've seen recently. Parks and Rec was also fantastic. Agreed that The Wire was solid but the final season wasn't quite the same quality as earlier seasons.

Honestly, felt Breaking Bad was solid but can't remember it well enough to say if it's greatest of all time worthy.

Just found the last two seasons on Prime, excited to finish it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm obviously out of context - never watched the series - but I don't see it at all. Just feels kind of cheap and the music kills any impact the events may have had. It's way too dominant.
I'm actually kind of curious if you have the same problems with this scene that I posted earlier:

Unlike Six Feet Under, Ping Pong: The Animation is a show (and ending) that I actually WOULD whole-heartedly defend and recommend, and that scene uses a trick that's similar to the Six Feet Under sequence (relying on swelling/overpowering music and on sentimental cuts that hit you in a very obvious, unreservedly direct and upfront way)-- except that, for my money, I think the music is better, the shots/imagery are more eloquently presented, everything feels more tasteful and organic, and the every minute of the series leading up to it actually holds up to the same standard.

That's one show in general that I think some of your put-offs in general COULD possibly be applied to but that completely convinced me otherwise about certain elements necessarily being inherently bad things.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm actually kind of curious if you have the same problems with this scene that I posted earlier:

Unlike Six Feet Under, Ping Pong: The Animation is a show (and ending) that I actually WOULD whole-heartedly defend and recommend, and that scene uses a trick that's similar to the Six Feet Under sequence (relying on swelling/overpowering music and on sentimental cuts that hit you in a very obvious, unreservedly direct and upfront way)-- except that, for my money, I think the music is better, the shots/imagery are more eloquently presented, everything feels more tasteful and organic, and the every minute of the series leading up to it actually holds up to the same standard.

That's one show in general that I think some of your put-offs in general COULD possibly be applied to but that completely convinced me otherwise about certain elements necessarily being inherently bad things.

Well, yeah, this scene is obviously executed way better in the sense that its pacing, coloring and visual execution (such as the poses/mechanism of the characters) appear a lot more creative and less cheesily dated than the first one. The music is also less annoying. Again, I'm out of context, so it's hard for me to feel much of anything when it comes to emotional impact, and I could have a wildly different opinion if I was actually involved/understood who the characters are and the development that leads up to this montage. But at first glance, I'd put it in the same realm as Six Feet Under one, but with an execution that's incredibly more tasteful, based largely on its mechanisms (now that I think about it, I find the music a little manipulative in a child-like way) and I think it helps that the montage is just folks playing ping pong. It appears far less cheesy than folks getting married or getting shot working as security guards.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Watched the first couple of Oz episodes...I'm very intrigued so far, it does some things well, but is a little dated and uneven so far. Harold Perrineau's delivery in dropping what is close to philosophical slam poetry can get grating fast, but still...I think I'm in. But I like the character actors they've got and some of the dialogue is pretty damn funny. I liked how the pilot episode follows what amounts to be a character of the day only while all the major players seem to get introduced by interacting with him here and there. That's a pretty ballsy/creative way to start a series and I think it paid off.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, yeah, this scene is obviously executed way better in the sense that its pacing, coloring and visual execution (such as the poses/mechanism of the characters) appear a lot more creative and less cheesily dated than the first one. The music is also less annoying. Again, I'm out of context, so it's hard for me to feel much of anything when it comes to emotional impact, and I could have a wildly different opinion if I was actually involved/understood who the characters are and the development that leads up to this montage. But at first glance, I'd put it in the same realm as Six Feet Under one, but with an execution that's incredibly more tasteful, based largely on its mechanisms (now that I think about it, I find the music a little manipulative in a child-like way) and I think it helps that the montage is just folks playing ping pong. It appears far less cheesy than folks getting married or getting shot working as security guards.
I usually despise most Anime (pretty much everything that isn't made by this guy, the Cowboy Bebop guy, and the Studio Ghibli guys), but the show changed my mind that uninhibited/dramatic on-the-nose manipulation can still feel pretty inspired if it's pulled off in a really sincere, tasteful, somewhat dorky and upfront, considerate, on-point and perfectly presented/paced/edited/creative way (which it otherwise pretty much never is). It's very economical in how succinctly it explores many ideas/character types/tropes, and how it infectiously/satisfyingly weaves through numerous full character arcs in a short amount of time without ever feeling rushed and like it doesn't have room to breath. There's little to no fat on it (although it starts off deceptively conventional), and it's kind of amazing how much they get out of a very limited premise, run-time, and animation budget. Consider giving it a shot if you have the time-- The whole thing's only about four hours.

Music's great, too-- kind of like a combination of Orbital and Steve Reich.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Justified, The Shield, Six Feet Under, Banshee, Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, X Files (The Truth) etc...

Totally forgot about Justified, that final scene was perfect.

best: Hell on Wheels, Parks and Rec, Justified

worst : Dexter, Lost

Count me as another person loving the Justified ending. The show is one of my favorites because of how easy it is too watch, it's got some levity along with some serious tones. It was getting into more and more ridiculous story lines, but it really was wrapped up beautifully and was able to keep the integrity of the show. A great example of how to end something before it goes completely off the rails, with a great finish.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Count me as another person loving the Justified ending. The show is one of my favorites because of how easy it is too watch, it's got some levity along with some serious tones. It was getting into more and more ridiculous story lines, but it really was wrapped up beautifully and was able to keep the integrity of the show. A great example of how to end something before it goes completely off the rails, with a great finish.

Definitely a show that got better and better mixing comedy with drama and black humor additional to a darker tone

Do you think Raylan could ever pull the trigger on Boyd? This is assuming he didn’t hurt anyone Raylan worked with or Ava

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Definitely a show that got better and better mixing comedy with drama and black humor additional to a darker tone

Do you think Raylan could ever pull the trigger on Boyd? This is assuming he didn’t hurt anyone Raylan worked with or Ava

You mean, pull the trigger again on Boyd?

If we're removing the Ava scenario, I do think his character would've. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I don't remember a time where he ever hesitated to pull the trigger when he wanted to. His, "if you make me pull, I'll put you down" (something like that) motto rung true throughout the entire show.

I always liked Rachel and Tim as characters as well. Both did an excellent job in their roles. I'd watch a spin-off with them.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I find Justified and Banshee to be the most overlooked series among my friends. Two very solid shows that just never got the recognition they deserved.

I've never even heard of Banshee before, I'll give it a watch.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
As much as I loved X-Files, I dropped it after Mulder was out. I think that was season 7? or 8? This thread made me realize how many shows I dropped late in their runs. Frasier I didn't see to the end. Breaking Bad didn't feel all that incredible for some reason. It wasn't bad, but I kinda had the same feeling as Game of Thrones. It's finally over. lol

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As much as I loved X-Files, I dropped it after Mulder was out. I think that was season 7? or 8? This thread made me realize how many shows I dropped late in their runs. Frasier I didn't see to the end. Breaking Bad didn't feel all that incredible for some reason. It wasn't bad, but I kinda had the same feeling as Game of Thrones. It's finally over. lol

Breaking Bad is usually ranked pretty high as far as it's ending, but I didn't enjoy it. That show had a really bad lull in the middle and then the ending was a let down for me, so the whole show takes a hit for me.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad