Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Time travel isn't necessarily a lazy plot device, IMO. The Terminator and Back to the Future are two of the best examples ever in which it's not one. It's the basis of those franchises and it's used very cleverly. I see that as very different than writing a time travel story for an existing franchise because it's easy. Star Trek IV is a better mid-80s example of it maybe being used lazily, but time travel was still fresh and neat back then, so no one (myself included) minded. More recently, though, it feels overused and not as cleverly used as it once was. It's the same with prequels and origin stories. They used to be fresh and fascinating, but some people are getting a little tired of them because every franchise or character is getting them, whether they need them or not.

Aw man that's rough. Star Trek IV is a very fun film. It was also the most commercially successful one they ever did.

Great pacing and action. Time travel hadn't been used for twelve years in Star Trek up to that point (Yesteryear from TAS) not including comics of course.

Here's an interesting fact I'm sure anyone who is a hardcore Trekkie knows: the original plot for Star Trek II had Roddenberry stayed in his position of power was the Enterprise goes back to the 1960s to prevent the assassination of JFK only to find out that Spock is the culprit. Yeah thank goodness that didn't happen.

On Stat Trek IV a lot of it was reused from Nicholas Meyer's Time After Time film as he cowrote the story. They were basically up against a corner because the studio wanted to lighten the tone of the first three films and stop the death and destruction, plus they had to resolve being court martialed and losing the Enterprise. Their solution worked out pretty well I'd say. I take Trek IV over a majority of the TV episodes, and all films except II and VI.

It might go back to Superman, Terminator and Back To The Future. Time travel is a lazy plot device and really, if you think about it, totally incoherent for the human mind to actually truly understand. Star Trek TOS did a few eps using time travel and, but they were well thought out. Now, it is just overused and impossibly confusing.

My Best-Carey
I blame the MCU for a large part of the problem along with Nu Trek writers.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It drove me nuts at the time.

"I KNOW I've heard this before."

There are other motifs and sounds that Horner liked re-using from Aliens, as well. Whenever I hear the clanking sound of a hammer on metal in a soundtrack, I know that it's Horner. No other composer uses that sound.
Aw man that's rough. Star Trek IV is a very fun film. It was also the most commercially successful one they ever did.

Great pacing and action. Time travel hadn't been used for twelve years in Star Trek up to that point (Yesteryear from TAS) not including comics of course.

Here's an interesting fact I'm sure anyone who is a hardcore Trekkie knows: the original plot for Star Trek II had Roddenberry stayed in his position of power was the Enterprise goes back to the 1960s to prevent the assassination of JFK only to find out that Spock is the culprit. Yeah thank goodness that didn't happen.

On Stat Trek IV a lot of it was reused from Nicholas Meyer's Time After Time film as he cowrote the story. They were basically up against a corner because the studio wanted to lighten the tone of the first three films and stop the death and destruction, plus they had to resolve being court martialed and losing the Enterprise. Their solution worked out pretty well I'd say. I take Trek IV over a majority of the TV episodes, and all films except II and VI.
I completely agree. I wasn't trying to be "rough" towards it. I love Star Trek IV. My point was just that, unlike The Terminator and Back to the Future, it didn't need to be a time travel story, but we didn't mind because it was fun and we weren't tired of the concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was mentioned in the replies. I, personally, can't decide between that and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The latter has no business being as good as it is for the 6th film in a franchise, and so little of it is rehashed or re-used from the previous entries. If only franchises would be that original and daring in their sequels nowadays, instead of playing everything so safe and formulaic.
My question is how Sister act 2 was on the list over so many other sequels that were mentioned

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My question is how Sister act 2 was on the list over so many other sequels that were mentioned
As others have said, it was probably a joke. I laughed, though I might've chosen something more ridiculous like Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo to make sure everyone got it.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I personally love Die Hard 2. Normally "lazy" sequels that use same plot as the first, but with a different setting annoy me (Hangover 2) but found it to be more enjoyable than the first in some ways. Also the airport setting gives off more of a Christmas feel than the office setting of the OG Die Hard
Die Hard 2 and Die Hard 3 aka With A Vengeance are both great films. I think 2 along with Predator 2 and Ghostbusters 2 which all came out in the same era take a lot of crap for being inferior to the originals, but all three are fun films.

Hangover is the most overrated series of the last thirty years. Not funny and no pacing or action. I'll take Police Academies 5-7 over any of the Hangover movies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Predator 2? Please someone ban me from this thread. :laugh:

Gary Busey automatically adds an extra half-star.

What was missing from the sequel was the mystery of what the Predator actually was or looked like.

As far as a science-fiction-based action flim is concerned, I quite liked it.

Plus the Predator spent a lot of the movie murdering ruthless criminals, so you were kind of rooting for it.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Gary Busey automatically adds an extra half-star.

What was missing from the sequel was the mystery of what the Predator actually was or looked like.

As far as a science-fiction-based action flim is concerned, I quite liked it.

Plus the Predator spent a lot of the movie murdering ruthless criminals, so you were kind of rooting for it.
You haven't seen it in a while. I had a nostalgic feeling about that film, even thought it might have been as good as the first one. But that was just because I really didn't remember anything about it. It's absolutely terrible.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You haven't seen it in a while. I had a nostalgic feeling about that film, even thought it might have been as good as the first one. But that was just because I really didn't remember anything about it. It's absolutely terrible.

I can give them credit for not wanting to do another rehash in the jungle, but they pretty much jumped from Friday the 13th to Jason Takes Manhattan

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, the half-star added by Gary Busey brings it to one star.

Bill Paxton AND Gary Busey? Are you kidding me? They make terrible fun.

Plus it wasn't hard to imagine Danny Glover as Murtagh chasing down an alien killer.

"I'm getting too old for this shit."

For my part, I never thought it was as good as the first one.

Sep 19, 2008
LW2 was slightly better than 1. I'm biased towards 2 because it's the movie I've seen the most out of the 4. "I'm too old for this shit", and the notion of diplomatic immunity. They used to air those movies on NBC lol. It was heavily edited but still. Most quotable movie too.

"But, but, you're black."

"Diplomatic immunity!"

Ending still gets me where he's on the LA dock as jazz plays. David Sanborn is a genius

Obviously it's D2: The Mighty Ducks. What's wrong with you people?
I've had Disney+ for years and never bothered to watch. I saw the original very long ago.

About to head out on a trip soon so might as well download D1 and D2 to my tablet

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've had Disney+ for years and never bothered to watch. I saw the original very long ago.

About to head out on a trip soon so might as well download D1 and D2 to my tablet
This is very subjective but you could say it's both the worst and best sports movie. Worst in how it represents the actual sport in which it bares no semblance to reality (where as D1 was a classic underdog story). But best because it's just a dumb fun sports movie.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Predator 2? Please someone ban me from this thread. :laugh:
Thanks for your patience in my response time. Could not get away from work this week. I know we have very different opinions on movies and music......

I never said Predator 2 was a great sequel. I said it was fun and compared it to Die Hard 2 and Ghostbusters 2.

There are elements of all three films I really like including the continuation of stories or expanding universes, new characters, effects, pacing, etc.. Obviously and for this thread, none of the three are in the top 100 sequels of all time.

I'll take all three films 11/10 x over a modern reboot or making a movie/tv show all about fan service (e.g. Star Trek: Picard Season 3).

Of the Predator films, I'd say the one Robert Rodriguez did with Adrian Brody...was it better than Predator 2? To me personally, no but I'm curious what the group here has to say. Predators was pretty dumb and I still have yet to see Prey (although I am a fan of Amber Midthunder from Legion).

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for your patience in my response time. Could not get away from work this week. I know we have very different opinions on movies and music......

I never said Predator 2 was a great sequel. I said it was fun and compared it to Die Hard 2 and Ghostbusters 2.

There are elements of all three films I really like including the continuation of stories or expanding universes, new characters, effects, pacing, etc.. Obviously and for this thread, none of the three are in the top 100 sequels of all time.

I'll take all three films 11/10 x over a modern reboot or making a movie/tv show all about fan service (e.g. Star Trek: Picard Season 3).

Of the Predator films, I'd say the one Robert Rodriguez did with Adrian Brody...was it better than Predator 2? To me personally, no but I'm curious what the group here has to say. Predators was pretty dumb and I still have yet to see Prey (although I am a fan of Amber Midthunder from Legion).
I already linked my post where I commented and ranked all these films (Prey is missing), but yeah, to me Predators was 10x better than Predator 2.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I can give them credit for not wanting to do another rehash in the jungle, but they pretty much jumped from Friday the 13th to Jason Takes Manhattan
If it was a modern sequel, they'd be back in the jungle and reuse some of the lines because you know, fan service and Hollywood writers don't think for themselves (or the execs demand callbacks).

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but after jungle, what other setting could they have used? Metropolitan area seemed like the next logical step.

You could make the argument that suburbs before city (which they did in 2018's Predators) or take the battle to another planet (which they did in 2010's The Predator).

Ice climate aka Antarctica or North Pole could've worked too however then it would've been considered a John Carpenter's The Thing riff, and also this was 1989-1990 when the script for Alien 3 had them on an ice planet (the original was supposed to be earth, then it was ice planet, and then desolate penal colony was settled on).

I already linked my post where I commented and ranked all these films (Prey is missing), but yeah, to me Predators was 10x better than Predator 2.
Maybe it's being in my late-30s but I'll take prime Danny Glover and/or Gary Busey any day of the week over any of the actors in Predators except situationally Walter Goggins.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If it was a modern sequel, they'd be back in the jungle and reuse some of the lines because you know, fan service and Hollywood writers don't think for themselves (or the execs demand callbacks).
Which is exactly what most Predator sequel do (Predators is a notable exception).
Maybe it's being in my late-30s but I'll take prime Danny Glover and/or Gary Busey any day of the week over any of the actors in Predators except situationally Walter Goggins.
Yeah, well, that's not how I evaluate a good film (and I don't think these two actors are in any of my top-8000 films).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Which is exactly what most Predator sequel do (Predators is a notable exception).

Yeah, well, that's not how I evaluate a good film (and I don't think these two actors are in any of my top-8000 films).
It's not all about the actors. Just one category. Overall it's how much did I enjoy it. I wasn't moved and didn't find anything particularly interesting about Predators. Predator 2 is so campy and over the top I put it in dumb fun category aka a bunch of guys are hanging out and channel surfing/drinking some beers after a hockey game, or the kind you show a g/f on a rainy day to laugh/what action films were like in the late 80s/early 90s.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Empire Strikes Back. Not only is it the best Star Wars movie, of all time but it elevated an already epic series into legendary status!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad