OT: Best Rookie Sniper ever Bossy vs Laine?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
His pass reception skills make him additionally scary.

Such an underappreciated skill. We have a beauty of our own at it in Hossa.

Laine related, on Twitter last night there was an analytics gentleman tweeting about Laine "getting caved in shot attempts wise" and then furthered his comment by saying "People care way too much about Goals/Assists."

Look, I love the numbers. They're great information and ignoring them is foolish, but **** like this is what loses people or causes them to never jump on board in the first place. Have a rookie on pace for 50 goals and you're going to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian and mention this, but further, making a statement as stupid as caring too much about goals and assists.

Now, maybe I'm off, but I fancy myself a pretty intelligent guy, especially when it comes to hockey, but I thought goals were pretty ****ing important to winning hockey games. The problem with analytics aren't the numbers themselves, it's some of the people that are delivering the numbers and their dumbass attitudes. This just rubbed me so wrong when I read it last night.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Laine related, on Twitter last night there was an analytics gentleman tweeting about Laine "getting caved in shot attempts wise" and then furthered his comment by saying "People care way too much about Goals/Assists."

Look, I love the numbers. They're great information and ignoring them is foolish, but **** like this is what loses people or causes them to never jump on board in the first place. Have a rookie on pace for 50 goals and you're going to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian and mention this, but further, making a statement as stupid as caring too much about goals and assists.

Now, maybe I'm off, but I fancy myself a pretty intelligent guy, especially when it comes to hockey, but I thought goals were pretty ****ing important to winning hockey games. The problem with analytics aren't the numbers themselves, it's some of the people that are delivering the numbers and their dumbass attitudes. This just rubbed me so wrong when I read it last night.

Might be the most underestimated skill for a forward to me.

I 100% agree with the rest of your post. Numbers are only good as a tool and should not be used alone to make most judgments.

Can you link the twitter?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

I remember during a couple of "work stoppages" a couple of NHLers that were in town would come out and work with the kids. What amazed or maybe surprised everyone the most was the pass catching. Throw it seemingly within 10' of them and they handled it without breaking stride, even passes behind them!

It was a great takeaway from the visits.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Goals are luck, the only thing a forward can control is shots on frame or so I'm told.

Hockey statistics have come a long way. They just have a long way to go. I'd never ignore data, but too many push it as the end all be all.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I remember during a couple of "work stoppages" a couple of NHLers that were in town would come out and work with the kids. What amazed or maybe surprised everyone the most was the pass catching. Throw it seemingly within 10' of them and they handled it without breaking stride, even passes behind them!

I've also heard it's one of the more impressive things when playing with older ex-NHLers. Even guys in their 50's are still making and receiving perfect passes

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
After a bit of a dry spell, Laine is back on track with 2 more snipes last night. Both one timer slap shots.

TSN commentator and ex-NHLer Dave Poulin on Laine:

"His wrister and release reminds me of Mike Bossy's. His slapper is like Ovechkins"

Poulin must have been reading this thread.;)

His pass reception skills make him additionally scary.

I'm blown away almost every NHL game that I watch by even an average NHLers' ability to catch a pass. Sometimes it's just crazy how it goes from skate to stick.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Poulin must have been reading this thread.;)

I'm blown away almost every NHL game that I watch by even an average NHLers' ability to catch a pass. Sometimes it's just crazy how it goes from skate to stick.

At full speed, without hardly breaking stride, no less. It's pretty incredible and one of those things that goes largely unappreciated by the casual fan. That's not a shot at all, just one of those nuances about hockey at that level that can get missed by some.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
At full speed, without hardly breaking stride, no less. It's pretty incredible and one of those things that goes largely unappreciated by the casual fan. That's not a shot at all, just one of those nuances about hockey at that level that can get missed by some.

Agreed. Sometimes when you watch it feels like there's a string between the skates and stick with the pros, and the puck just slides along it nice and easy.

I used to think I was good at receiving passes, but these guys make it look insanely easy on even the toughest pass.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

I 100% agree with the rest of your post. Numbers are only good as a tool and should not be used alone to make most judgments.

Can you link the twitter?

It's @DTMAboutHeart . They tweeted them out a couple of days ago.

Has "As many NHL games played as Scotty Bowman" in their bio so you already know you're dealing with a pud who thinks way more of themselves than they should.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Wayne Gretzky once said he thought Ladislav Nagy had a chance to break some of his records.

Laine is very, very talented. Bossy is still a LONG ways off.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Wayne Gretzky once said he thought Ladislav Nagy had a chance to break some of his records.

Laine is very, very talented. Bossy is still a LONG ways off.

I'm surprised a Maple Leaf fan hasn't interjected with Matthews' comment yet. While it's obvious Laine has a ton of talent, Mike Bossy is a legend of the game. He has the goals and 4 Stanley Cups to prove it. Laine is just another talented hot shot rookie. You'll get beat up on the Island for trying to compare Laine to Bossy.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Comparing a raw rookie and an all time great is never a good idea.

Why not. I was comparing the ability of a raw rookie to enter the NHL and snipe right from day one. Bossy's quick wrister was lethal and he did it better than anyone back in '77 - '78 (and for many years after). Close to 40 years later along comes this kid from Finland. He is the best I've seen since Mike Bossy, and if he stays healthy may turn out to be better. Call it a prediction if you wish.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I think people are drawing issue with the phrasing. "Best sniper ever" implies something significantly different than "best release since Bossy" or "best shot since Bossy." One has much more a career results connotation to it than the other. In one you're talking about a player's career whereas in another you're talking about a specific attribute.

You wouldn't talk about McDavid as one of the best players of all time even though he has the potential to be, you would say he is one of the greatest potential talents or something similar. You wouldn't say Laine is one of the best snipers ever until he does this for a decade.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I think people are drawing issue with the phrasing. "Best sniper ever" implies something significantly different than "best release since Bossy" or "best shot since Bossy." One has much more a career results connotation to it than the other. In one you're talking about a player's career whereas in another you're talking about a specific attribute.

You wouldn't talk about McDavid as one of the best players of all time even though he has the potential to be, you would say he is one of the greatest potential talents or something similar. You wouldn't say Laine is one of the best snipers ever until he does this for a decade.

spot on...i completely rolled my eyes reading these posts until i figured out what he was getting at

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I should have titled the OP as "best rookie sniper ever". I have changed it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I should have titled the OP as "best rookie sniper ever". I have changed it.

Unfortunately, I don't think many on this board saw Bossy play as a rookie ... including myself. :)

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Unfortunately, I don't think many on this board saw Bossy play as a rookie ... including myself. :)

Just picture a guy who scored virtually every time he had a clean shot from inside 35 or 40 feet.... and it was in the net before you could blink. Something like Laine's 29th goal against Leafs the other night.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Just picture a guy who scored virtually every time he had a clean shot from inside 35 or 40 feet.... and it was in the net before you could blink. Something like Laine's 29th goal against Leafs the other night.

I remember watching Bossy at the Stadium at the end of the Islanders Cup run. Everyone was fixated on him.

What's most incredible is that in his 10 seasons, Bossy only scored less than 50 goals once. That was in his last season due to injuries. He scored 38.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
PS ... Laine at 39 goals this season and counting..... that makes 75 goals in 140 games. The most in the NHL during that period - in a league where scoring is down compared to other eras. And he's still a teenager.

Reactions: RayP and Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad