OT: Best Rookie Sniper ever Bossy vs Laine?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Watching Laine score on those brilliant snapshots the other night brings me to memories of the great sniper Mike Bossy. I'd say the best sniper ever. .....

.... ahead of greats like The Rocket, Ovi, Bobby/Brett Hull, Lanny Mcdonald, Shanahan (with a good deal of sand paper) and quite a few others.
Is Laine in the same category, and can one say so at his tender age? I say a resounding YES to both questions. Comments?

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Watching Laine score on those brilliant snapshots the other night brings me to memories of the great sniper Mike Bossy. I'd say the best sniper ever. .....

.... ahead of greats like The Rocket, Ovi, Bobby/Brett Hull, Lanny Mcdonald, Shanahan (with a good deal of sand paper) and quite a few others.
Is Laine in the same category, and can one say so at his tender age? I say a resounding YES to both questions. Comments?

Jeez buddy he's played what 10 games...really. Bring it up when he has at least 5 fifty goal seasons. That being said I agree Bossy best sniper of all times.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Laine's release is the best I've seen since Semin.

Might want to chill on the Bossy comps for now.

:laugh: I know how crazy it sounds but after seeing this kid shoot, it reminded me of Bossy's release back in the day. He's the real thing imo and I won't be surprised if he pots 35+ goals in his first NHL season. BTW, Bossy had 53 goals as a rookie in a goal scorers era.

On another note: After watching Laine snipe the other night, I couldn't help but compare it to what we see from Chicago's PP on a nightly basis. Man what I would give to see Hawk dmen forget the big wind-up (yes you Duncan Keith) and simply snap the puck towards the net before ops get in the lane.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
:laugh: I know how crazy it sounds but after seeing this kid shoot, it reminded me of Bossy's release back in the day. He's the real thing imo and I won't be surprised if he pots 35+ goals in his first NHL season. BTW, Bossy had 53 goals as a rookie in a goal scorers era.

On another note: After watching Laine snipe the other night, I couldn't help but compare it to what we see from Chicago's PP on a nightly basis. Man what I would give to see Hawk dmen forget the big wind-up (yes you Duncan Keith) and simply snap the puck towards the net before ops get in the lane.

Laine needs to overtake his countrymen, Jari Kurri, before he is even mentioned with the likes of Bossy.

I'd settle for a DMen who can actually get the puck to the net. Is it just me or do our DMen have a ton of their shots blocked?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Laine needs to overtake his countrymen, Jari Kurri, before he is even mentioned with the likes of Bossy.

I'd settle for a DMen who can actually get the puck to the net. Is it just me or do our DMen have a ton of their shots blocked?

Not to mention Teemu who had an outrageous beginning to his career... but we;ll see how good this kid becomes.

And no, it is not your imagination when it comes to number of shots that Hawk point men get blocked ... or can't get to the net. I cringe when I see Keith with that big wind up knowing it is unlikely to get near the net and which too often leads to an opportunity going the other way. A good start would be to take Keith off of the first PP unit. My broken record commentary.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
What's impressed me most is how much of his shot is in his wrists. The hat trick game he scored a goal gliding toward the half boards leaning away from the net and with a flick of his wrists put a nasty rocket in the corner opposite his body.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Not to mention Teemu who had an outrageous beginning to his career... but we;ll see how good this kid becomes.

And no, it is not your imagination when it comes to number of shots that Hawk point men get blocked ... or can't get to the net. I cringe when I see Keith with that big wind up knowing it is unlikely to get near the net and which too often leads to an opportunity going the other way. A good start would be to take Keith off of the first PP unit. My broken record commentary.

You mean like winding up on a shot and MISSING to the WRONG SIDE of the net ... leading to an odd man rush? I wish they mic up Crow on those. Love to hear what he says watching that.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Getting our d-men shots blocked makes us wonder why it seems other teams d-men seem to get it on our net...it is of course because we do not do what is normal for most other nhl teams..that is ...it is normal for d-men in tge nhl to block lots of point shots and not let it get through to the net..however when these other teams d-men shoot and get it through to our net we think is is normal ....that these teams do it routinely against other teams...no they do not...it is just that they exaggerate how easy it is to get shots through on goal WHEN THEY PLAY US...such that we expect our d-men to be as competent entry as them in getting shots through...it is a false expectation...cause the truth is mostly the point shots across the league do get blocked from going on net.We cannot seem to do that however...so we make other teams d-men all look better than theyvactually are at this when you factor our guys out of the equation
...what I am saying is we put too much blame on our d-men for not getting shots through on net ...RATHER the blame should be on our d-men for not blocking opposing point shots at a league normal rate.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
After a bit of a dry spell, Laine is back on track with 2 more snipes last night. Both one timer slap shots.

TSN commentator and ex-NHLer Dave Poulin on Laine:

"His wrister and release reminds me of Mike Bossy's. His slapper is like Ovechkins"

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I was one of the guys in the Laine over Matthews camp. Obviously guys like Bossy and Ovi have the track record to dwell on, but as far as raw tools, I think Laine looks better than Ovi did when he first entered the league. Didn't Ovi put up over 50 goals in his rookie campaign?

I think the sky is the limit for the kid, and frankly, being picked second is a good chip to start with for a player of his caliber. He's my pick for the rocket this year.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Rookie Ovechkin is how I got into hockey. Laine is not even in the same stratosphere as young Ovie. That was the most dominant and explosive player I've ever seen

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think he is a good Player so far, at least his Goal scoring is top notch.

I'll just wait and see what he can do in the future. We are talking about the best there ever was in Bossy, Richard and Ovechkin.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I do not believe Laine could (yet) hit 50G season, but how many era-adjusted goals he should score now to reach comparable level that Bossy had at 53 goals, the record that was obliterated brutally then by 4 or so years elder Teemu than Patrik now?

Based on a sample set and Goals highlight reels it's not out-of-topic/place to speak Bossy and Laine in same sentences, and that only coronate Bossy not taking anything out from him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
His release is just stupid. He's a lot of fun to watch. Had a great goal the other night where he chipped a pass to a guy around the red line and at full speed just cut, out-body positioned, and weaved through three different defenders from the blue line to the crease to get open and scored on a return pass. It was just so many skills, instincts, and effort all rolled into one goal. He's a really, really good one.

I'd have still taken Matthews first, but I'm not one to debate and compare. I simply sit back and enjoy the influx of young, ridiculous talent in this league right now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He is an elite goal scorer already and his release is just plain scary. I personally feel bad for goalies...

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
Way too early for Bossy comparisons.Kid has a fantastic shot and could get there.but he's not there yet and probably won't be for a bit.In this age of less scoring,if he can put together 6 or 7 yrs of 40+ goals then he can make that claim.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Way too early for Bossy comparisons.Kid has a fantastic shot and could get there.but he's not there yet and probably won't be for a bit.In this age of less scoring,if he can put together 6 or 7 yrs of 40+ goals then he can make that claim.

While true what you said, the longevity part is obvious. I opened this thread because as a pure sniper, Bossy was the best (IMO) - and from what I've seen from Laine he is just as good (or better) at the same age. And he has a slapper that is pretty dam good as well...(not to mention that he can pass and has good size to boot).

After close to a third of the season behind us, I stick with my original assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad