OT: Best rink to play shinny on in Toronto?

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sorry for bumping an old thread but it's still relevant. I moved to TO this summer and am ready to play some outdoor hockey. Anyway, I have a general question regarding schedules. If we look at Irving W Chapley Rink for example (http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/facilities/complex/664/), it gives you a bunch of programs that are available daily. Similar schedules are posted for other rinks.

I was just wondering what goes on at the rink during times which are outside of the schedule? Can you bring skates/stick/puck and just mess around or is it just for public skating? If the rink opens at 9 (and activities start at 12), can you come at 8 or will it be locked? Can you stay past 9pm or do they kick you out?

I am jus trying to figure out the rules/guidelines so I can plan accordingly. Thanks for any help

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Sometimes the unalotted time is rented out or there are skating lessons/programs. Your best bet would be to call the place.

I'm pretty sure they do kick you out at night and lock up. There's always a staff around somewhere iirc. Might vary rink to rink.

Not all the rinks get the ice in by when the schedule says, so there might not even be ice there yet.

Dieppe Park and Greenwood both have new facilities with skating pads seperate from the shinny rink. Gets too busy at both the locations during peak hrs, but they are nice and new and are quiet during weekdays.

I normally play at Kew Gardens cause it's close and convenient. Gets stupid windy there somedays cause it's right next to the lake.

Last edited:

Aleksandar

Nov 19, 2014
I'm also looking for somewhere to learn/practice goalie. I have played a considerable amount of goalie in road and ball hockey and I just got ice hockey goalie pads and I'm looking to get a feel for the ice before playing houseleague next year. How should I get some practice? Thanks

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Every rink loves goalies. There's a goalie that shows up in my hood and I bring him beer! You'll never have a shortage of dudes wanting to unload on you :sarcasm:

Aleksandar

Nov 19, 2014
I understand that I'm not allowed to play shinny as a goalie though (in my equipment)?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
im wondering the same thing for london

In London the best, cheapest place is Brookside or the Ice Park or whatever it is called. Late night shinny is good and you can grab some drinks after since its not a city owned barn. If not you should try the western fair rink. Thats the only two places I play at anymore and its not very often :( Let me know if you need a fat washed up player lol.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
Lake Devo at Ryerson is always fun. No goalies though, usually its just students using their textbooks/bags to make a net.

andrei9992000

Mar 9, 2015
Hey guys,

Here are a few locations where shinny is still open until March 22:

West end:
Sunnydale Acres Rink
West Mall Rink
Dufferin Rink

Central:
Ramsden Park
Otter Creek
Harry Gairey Rink (Alexandra Park)

East:
Dieppe Park
Greeenwood Park
Withrow Rink

And a few others...

There are some resources available which will make it much easier to find shinny times than looking on the city website:

SkateTime (Android Only) - with location-based listings and directions
RinkTime - web app

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad