OT: Best rink to play shinny on in Toronto?

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
I'm a goaltender and have played at a pretty high level but haven't laced up the skates or equipment in a longggg time. So I'm looking for a rink that normally gets a good amount of people on it daily for some shinny.

Any suggestions?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Theres a good amount of people, and then there's way too many people. I guess as a goalie its different (though at the super busy rinks like Dufferin Grove and Scadding Court the ice is destroyed a couple hours after its cleaned), but in my experience (all downtown) the rinks that have a separate surface for pleasure skating are usually way overcrowded during 18+ and all ages. My favourite rinks are Christie Pitts and Rosedale. Christie Pitts is especially sweet with the plexiglass, though i suppose it makes no real difference. Regardless of the rink there will be days where the ice was not zambonied.

If you can get some friends together, I always thought the most fun was after hours before the lights go off, most rinks arent actually locked (the rinkhouses are, obviously).

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Just so you know, shinny on Toronto outdoor rinks don't allow dressed goalies.

Busy rinks include the one in High Park, Rennie Park (Swansea, just west of High Park), and the one at Dundas and Bathurst.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006

Busy rinks include the one in High Park, Rennie Park (Swansea, just west of High Park), and the one at Dundas and Bathurst.

Oh ****! I had no idea. Is that rule enforced strictly?

MrLegend28*

I was at Rosedale last ngiht lol.

if you're in the east end, theres Greenwood, Monarch, Rosedale, they all allow goalies, people love goalies don't let that **** fool you.

You can also go to north/south regent which sounds "bad" but its not. And they don't enforce many rules there (like 3pm 14 n under skate, all that)

iBlaze81

Jan 18, 2010
I go to Withrow Park (pape/danforth). It's not bad there. Skill wise it's good and not that many people. Shinny gets stupid when it's 9on9. Weekdays 8-10pm, not sure about the weekend schedule.

Where is Rosedale rink located?

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I was at Rosedale last ngiht lol.

if you're in the east end, theres Greenwood, Monarch, Rosedale, they all allow goalies, people love goalies don't let that **** fool you.

You can also go to north/south regent which sounds "bad" but its not. And they don't enforce many rules there (like 3pm 14 n under skate, all that)

yee rosedales bomb hahah

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Withrows nice. I think it tends to be quieter then Greenwood too. But then it's been quite a few years since I was out on the rinks every day.. And night lol.. Greenwood was great for that, so easy to get into. Good times it was..

MrLegend28*

i need to start going back to Monarch on Sunday mornings. We had a rivalry with these dudes last yr, fun times

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Wallace-Emerson Community Centre (corner of Dufferin and Dupont) seems to get pretty good crowds most nights, and I've seen dressed goalies there before. They have an outdoor hockey pad, as well as a pleasure skating one beside it. You can also get hot chocolate for 50 cents. And it's right beside a McDonalds in case you're feeling like a masochist after the game.

I haven't been since last winter though, when I lived in the area. I would assume it's all still the same though.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah Wallace is nice because most of the punk traffic stays down the street at Dufferin Grove.

Rosedale rink is right across the street from Rosedale subway station, you can't miss it (and real convenient location for anybody without a car.

Christie was always my favourite rink (Bloor and Crawford, two three blocks east of Ossington abouta block north of Bloor), but beware. On the left side of the rink is a big hill, and the fence above the boards isnt very high. If you put the puck over on that side, there's a good chance it's gone forever, and along the other sides there's pavement so it's a real ***** if you dont have skateguards with you.

bluebarry

Jan 15, 2010
Theres a good amount of people, and then there's way too many people. I guess as a goalie its different (though at the super busy rinks like Dufferin Grove and Scadding Court the ice is destroyed a couple hours after its cleaned), but in my experience (all downtown) the rinks that have a separate surface for pleasure skating are usually way overcrowded during 18+ and all ages. My favourite rinks are Christie Pitts and Rosedale. Christie Pitts is especially sweet with the plexiglass, though i suppose it makes no real difference. Regardless of the rink there will be days where the ice was not zambonied.

If you can get some friends together, I always thought the most fun was after hours before the lights go off, most rinks arent actually locked (the rinkhouses are, obviously).

I loved the christie pits when i lived in to. (10 years ago) played almost every night for 2 years, until some punk stole my sneakers and i had to get back home on skates:rant::rant::rant:

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Oh ****! I had no idea. Is that rule enforced strictly?
No, it depends on the rink rats running each pad. But it is city wide policy for insurance reasons (keep the puck down, no slap shots, that kind of thing). Only helmets are mandatory, and most guys only wears skates, helmets and gloves.... no cups, shinpads, etc. Goalies attract testosterone you know. ;) The key then would be stay away from High Park and other high traffic pads (especially those having a public skating pad beside the hockey rink... public skating attracts moms and kids, which attract strict attention to the rules from the rats), ...and seek out some of the other rinks suggested here.

BTW, there's a lot of pick up hockey in rinks all over the city... usually late night (10 pm start or later) or early morning hockey. There's ALWAYS guys looking for goalies or back ups if their regulars can't make it. Put you name and phone up in the five closest rinks to your house and I guarantee you'll get calls to come out play. Be clear you haven't played in awhile, but trust me they won't care, they just want to have someone to shoot at. It will cost you nothing (goalies don't pay) and you'll probable get a free beer or two out of it afterwards.

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
No, it depends on the rink rats running each pad. But it is city wide policy for insurance reasons (keep the puck down, no slap shots, that kind of thing). Only helmets are mandatory, and most guys only wears skates, helmets and gloves.... no cups, shinpads, etc. Goalies attract testosterone you know. ;) The key then would be stay away from High Park and other high traffic pads (especially those having a public skating pad beside the hockey rink... public skating attracts moms and kids, which attract strict attention to the rules from the rats), ...and seek out some of the other rinks suggested here.

BTW, there's a lot of pick up hockey in rinks all over the city... usually late night (10 pm start or later) or early morning hockey. There's ALWAYS guys looking for goalies or back ups if their regulars can't make it. Put you name and phone up in the five closest rinks to your house and I guarantee you'll get calls to come out play. Be clear you haven't played in awhile, but trust me they won't care, they just want to have someone to shoot at. It will cost you nothing (goalies don't pay) and you'll probable get a free beer or two out of it afterwards.

I would have killed and buried bodies to have a regular goalie for our late night shinny sessions. Never seen somebody get kicked off for not having a helmet, very few people bother with em. Generally most people arent stupid enough to be taking slapshots unless there are few people and no game going on, in which case I've never seen it be a problem for the rink guys. The players usually regulate themselves pretty effectively, nobody wants a frozen puck in the face.

You could definitely get in on paid timeslots for free, that's much higher quality action. You can check the online schedules for the paid timeslots, show up at rinks and ask the guys with the permit if they're looking for a goalie.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
Contact Bruce @ hockeytoronto.com, and tell him you are looking for some mid-high level hockey.

I try to play goal two to three times a week. Two shinny games and one league game. I don't pay for any of them. Bruce always needs goalies.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

Swansea outdoor rink is still their? I used to play their as a child. Great times, also went to elementary school their.

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
The Wallace-Emerson Community Centre (corner of Dufferin and Dupont) seems to get pretty good crowds most nights, and I've seen dressed goalies there before. They have an outdoor hockey pad, as well as a pleasure skating one beside it. You can also get hot chocolate for 50 cents. And it's right beside a McDonalds in case you're feeling like a masochist after the game.

I haven't been since last winter though, when I lived in the area. I would assume it's all still the same though.

I agree with this. I live near wallace emerson and play there around 5 nights a week. It is mostly always packed and 1 out of 3 nights there is a dressed goalie there. I recommend it.

I've also been to Christi Pits, Dufferin Grove, and Campbell, but none of those compare to Wallace Emerson IMO.

Pulp Fiction

RIP Wade Belak
Dec 28, 2009
Grabo's Pineapple
Hodgson's is pretty good. Can get a bit crowded at times, and they also have waaaay to much scheduled time for really little kids, but its usually a great time after 6 PM.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I grew up real close to Christie Pitts, used to play there all the time, awesome rink. But haven't lived in Toronto in like 6-7 years, miss the shinny for sure!

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Anyone ever been to the rink at Dieppe park? I used to go there all the time when I was younger but haven't been there in a while.

http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/4154.htm

That's where my dad taught me how to skate. :laugh:

I played hockey for a long time but only occasionally played shinny and it was normally at Dieppe with my buddies.

So I'm going to check out Rosedale sometime this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad