Best prospect pool in the NHL (LA vs OTT)

Which prospect pool is better now and in the future?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Both are good. Sens are going to get a boost after the upcoming draft with 2 top 5 picks, and potentially another 1st rounder. LA has 3 2nd picks to add to their own high first. There are some nice names up there.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The fact that I really thought about it shows how great LA’s prospect pool is. However, Ottawa has 2 top 5 picks, another first and 4 seconds? Their prospect pool is going to be AMAZING.

I agree with your overall point. Ottawa’s on the uptick with the two top fives in this deep draft. However the lower you go, into the second round, those players are like coin flips and craps rolls. You could be like LA last year and get a ridiculous haul like Kaliyev and Fagemo, or you could get a non-NHL player. LA also has multiple seconds this year and has had an excellent track record in that round the last several years but I still don’t like to count them as part of the pool due to their 50/50-ish risky nature.

Reactions: Nabrules

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Now: Kings
After the draft: Sens
Development: Kings
Future next couple years: Sens by a longshot

The Kings almost need to trade away second rounders this year...I’m not even sure we have enough roster/contract spots for our quality prospects. And annoyingly, there’s a big gap on the LHD side. We have RHD coming out of the ears but only Bjornfot as LHD and maybe Clague. That may be intentional on the organization’s part.

After this year, I could see LA starting to graduate a ton of guys, maybe even our 2OA this year if we pick Stutzle. I could see 80% the top 10 to 15 guys all graduating the next two seasons and LA not drafting top 10 again at the same time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Now: Kings
After the draft: Sens
Development: Kings
Future next couple years: Sens by a longshot

The Kings almost need to trade away second rounders this year...I’m not even sure we have enough roster/contract spots for our quality prospects. And annoyingly, there’s a big gap on the LHD side. We have RHD coming out of the ears but only Bjornfot as LHD and maybe Clague. That may be intentional on the organization’s part.

After this year, I could see LA starting to graduate a ton of guys, maybe even our 2OA this year if we pick Stutzle. I could see 80% the top 10 to 15 guys all graduating the next two seasons and LA not drafting top 10 again at the same time.
Would like to hear you elaborate on how the Kings would be rated higher on the development side. If you look at current NHL players its not really close.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ottawa as I like their top end prospects more.

Depth in prospect pools is overrated. 9 out of 10 of those depth prospects will amount to nothing much.

Sure on paper but I have a gut feeling that they are a bit in the same boat as buffalo was and still is and as long as the current owner is in Ottawa he is going to taint things in the wrong light.

Like I said just a gut feeling.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Shouldnt this poll have a 3rd option for those who think the best prospect poil in the NHL ia neither of these 2 teams.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
No offense to LA fans but neither Anderson Dolan nor Kupari make much of an impression on me. If someone can show me that I am wrong, please do. Fagemo and Thomas look like future top 6 forwards.

I voted Ottawa because Norris, Batherson, Formenton, L. Brown and even Abramov were all point per game or better in the AHL this past season.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
But they would be wrong though.

Uhh its subjective. There are other teams with great prospect pools. For someone who values defense, for example, Colorado has an insane group still with the rsmesurgence of connor timmins. New york is good too.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Would like to hear you elaborate on how the Kings would be rated higher on the development side. If you look at current NHL players its not really close.

We’re famous for developing goalies. We’ve had a lot of success developing defensemen plus we still have Doughty. And still having Kopitar tremendously helps our development of not only centers but gives young wingers someone defensively responsible to play with.

Plus overall, we have another three key vets in Brown, Carter and Quick from the Cup teams to help develop our overall team concept.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As long as it's not Ottawa, right? :laugh:
The OP starts by assuming its those 2. Im sure many people feel that way, but not all. Orbdo you actually think its reasonable that only 2 teams are given as an option as the best?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
On purpose since that pick could be anywhere from #13 to #31 as of now.

Ottawa has 3 first and 4 second round picks this years. Including 2 picks in the top 5 and #33 in the second round.

Alex Formenton, the #10 ranked guy on Ottawa's list is 6'3'', one of the best skaters in hockey and almost went PP as a rookie in the AHL.

The Islanders picks could actually end up #1 overall too!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The OP starts by assuming its those 2. Im sure many people feel that way, but not all. Orbdo you actually think its reasonable that only 2 teams are given as an option as the best?

I think it’s fair to say that after this draft the Sens and Kings will probably have the best prospect pools.

Devils/Rangers/Avs/Habs would likely be in the next tier post-draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Right now it is a toss up with the Kings and the Sens. Hard to pick one or the other. The question also includes future. And this will change soon after the draft.

Hard to ignore the Sens stockpiling of quality picks this year. It is reasonable to surmise this prospects pool will only improve.

2, top 5 picks, and potentially and most likely 3 first rd picks
3, 2nd rd picks
2, 3rd rd picks
7 picks rds 4-7

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
No offense to LA fans but neither Anderson Dolan nor Kupari make much of an impression on me. If someone can show me that I am wrong, please do. Fagemo and Thomas look like future top 6 forwards.

I voted Ottawa because Norris, Batherson, Formenton, L. Brown and even Abramov were all point per game or better in the AHL this past season.
What about Tyler Madden, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Clague, Anderson, Spence and Hults?

Last edited:

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just as a follow up to several people who responded to my "semi-blue chipper" statement:

Recently, the HFB Kings voted for the top 20 prospects, with a poll for each position... but the poll kept going to #38 (I think 38 is the last one):

#1 - Alex Turcotte, F, 59.1%
#2 - Gabriel Vilardi, F, 53.6% (tie-breaker)
#3 - Rasmus Kupari, F, 46.4% (tie-breaker)
#4 - Cal Petersen, G, 28.9%
#5 - Arthur Kaliyev, F, 33.3%
#6 - Jaret Anderson-Dolan, F, 44%
#7 - Mikey Anderson, D, 32.8%
#8 - Tobias Bjornfot, D, 35.3%
#9 - Carl Grundstrom, F, 50%
#10 - Kale Clague, D, 46.9%
#11 - Akil, Thomas, F, 43.3%
#12 - Samuel Fagemo, F, 54.4%
#13 - Sean Durzi, D, 55.6%
#14 - Nikolai Prokhorkin, F, 62.5%
#15 - Johan Sodergran, F, 29.5%
#16 - Markus Phillips, D, 24.5%
#17 - Matt Roy, D, 23.1%
#18 - Daniel Brickley, D, 36.6%
#19 - Kim Nousiainen, D, 31.4%
#20 - Jacob Moverare, D, 57.5% (Tiebreaker)
#21 - David Hrenak, G, 31.8%
#22 - Lukas Parik, G, 56.8% (Tiebreaker)
#23 - Aidan Dudas, F, 35.4%
#24 - Jordan Spence, D, 30.0%
#25 - Blake Lizotte, F, 59.3% (Tiebreaker)
#26 - Austin Strand, D, 46.4%
#27 - Cole Hults, D, 60.5%
#28 - Sheldon Rempal, F, 75.8%
#29 - Bulat Shafigullin, F, 34.6%
#30 - Matthew Villalta, G, 58.3% (Tiebreaker)
#31 - Mikey Eyssimont, F, 47.6%
#32 - Andre Lee, F, 58.6% (Tiebreaker)
#33 - Jacob Ingham, G, 63.6% (Tiebreaker)
#34 - Braden Doyle, D, 54.2% (Tiebreaker)
#35 - Alexander Dergachyev, F, 29.2%
#36 - Chaz Reddekopp, D, 47.8%
#37 - Drake Rymsha, F, 44.4%
#38 - Brad Morrison, F, 57.1%

Recently the #25 prospect Blake Lizotte graduated into the Kings bottom six with a statline of:
65gp 6g 17a 23 points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's not ppg in the AHL, he's now considered an everyday player in the NHL, part of LA's bottom six and the "most popular player" by Kings boosters. He's a lil greasy dude.

And LA's #17 prospect, Matt Roy, a RHD has cemented himself as a full time NHLer on the 3rd pair, as the RHD. He was voted by the Kings as the "outstanding defenseman" and "unsung hero" by the players themselves.
70gp 4g 14a 18 points 16 +
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Think about how bad the Kings were last season and this guy played 70 games with a +16...

So this kind of illustrates what I and maybe other HFB Kings fans are thinking in terms of depth. It's one thing to have a million prospects, doing well in the minors. But when the depth graduates into full-time NHLers capable of playing important roles, that's extremely important to our organization. Since the time of Dean Lombardi, we are not trying to fill the arena; we are trying to build a complete team capable of running for the Cup at least 4 years in a row. Solid depth in the NHL roster to complement your top stars leads to playoff wins.

It's not a surprise (to me) that adding Vilardi and Frk to that team with guys like Lizotte, Roy, Sean Walker and other youngsters plus our notable vets, the Kings ripped off 7 wins in a row. Thank goodness the season was suspended, we might have won ourselves to the 8th pick like Buffalo or maybe even a shot at "Team E" for the 1 OA.

But...we won't be in the running for the #1 prospect pool for long, after this draft, even picking #2 plus with three second rounders...Vilardi, Petersen, Roy, Lizotte, Prohorkin are all graduating for sure and likely another four or five will graduate into full time Kings NHLers. Several higher prospects like Anderson-Dolan, Bjorfot, Grundstrom and others have had successful "cup-of-tea" NHL call ups so this year they will get longer looks. Something like half the list will be different by the end of next season, if there is a season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just as a follow up to several people who responded to my "semi-blue chipper" statement:

Recently, the HFB Kings voted for the top 20 prospects, with a poll for each position... but the poll kept going to #38 (I think 38 is the last one):

#1 - Alex Turcotte, F, 59.1%
#2 - Gabriel Vilardi, F, 53.6% (tie-breaker)
#3 - Rasmus Kupari, F, 46.4% (tie-breaker)
#4 - Cal Petersen, G, 28.9%
#5 - Arthur Kaliyev, F, 33.3%
#6 - Jaret Anderson-Dolan, F, 44%
#7 - Mikey Anderson, D, 32.8%
#8 - Tobias Bjornfot, D, 35.3%
#9 - Carl Grundstrom, F, 50%
#10 - Kale Clague, D, 46.9%
#11 - Akil, Thomas, F, 43.3%
#12 - Samuel Fagemo, F, 54.4%
#13 - Sean Durzi, D, 55.6%
#14 - Nikolai Prokhorkin, F, 62.5%
#15 - Johan Sodergran, F, 29.5%
#16 - Markus Phillips, D, 24.5%
#17 - Matt Roy, D, 23.1%
#18 - Daniel Brickley, D, 36.6%
#19 - Kim Nousiainen, D, 31.4%
#20 - Jacob Moverare, D, 57.5% (Tiebreaker)
#21 - David Hrenak, G, 31.8%
#22 - Lukas Parik, G, 56.8% (Tiebreaker)
#23 - Aidan Dudas, F, 35.4%
#24 - Jordan Spence, D, 30.0%
#25 - Blake Lizotte, F, 59.3% (Tiebreaker)
#26 - Austin Strand, D, 46.4%
#27 - Cole Hults, D, 60.5%
#28 - Sheldon Rempal, F, 75.8%
#29 - Bulat Shafigullin, F, 34.6%
#30 - Matthew Villalta, G, 58.3% (Tiebreaker)
#31 - Mikey Eyssimont, F, 47.6%
#32 - Andre Lee, F, 58.6% (Tiebreaker)
#33 - Jacob Ingham, G, 63.6% (Tiebreaker)
#34 - Braden Doyle, D, 54.2% (Tiebreaker)
#35 - Alexander Dergachyev, F, 29.2%
#36 - Chaz Reddekopp, D, 47.8%
#37 - Drake Rymsha, F, 44.4%
#38 - Brad Morrison, F, 57.1%

Recently the #25 prospect Blake Lizotte graduated into the Kings bottom six with a statline of:
65gp 6g 17a 23 points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's not ppg in the AHL, he's now considered an everyday player in the NHL, part of LA's bottom six and the "most popular player" by Kings boosters. He's a lil greasy dude.

And LA's #17 prospect, Matt Roy, a RHD has cemented himself as a full time NHLer on the 3rd pair, as the RHD. He was voted by the Kings as the "outstanding defenseman" and "unsung hero" by the players themselves.
70gp 4g 14a 18 points 16 +
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Think about how bad the Kings were last season and this guy played 70 games with a +16...

So this kind of illustrates what I and maybe other HFB Kings fans are thinking in terms of depth. It's one thing to have a million prospects, doing well in the minors. But when the depth graduates into full-time NHLers capable of playing important roles, that's extremely important to our organization. Since the time of Dean Lombardi, we are not trying to fill the arena; we are trying to build a complete team capable of running for the Cup at least 4 years in a row. Solid depth in the NHL roster to complement your top stars leads to playoff wins.

It's not a surprise (to me) that adding Vilardi and Frk to that team with guys like Lizotte, Roy, Sean Walker and other youngsters plus our notable vets, the Kings ripped off 7 wins in a row. Thank goodness the season was suspended, we might have won ourselves to the 8th pick like Buffalo or maybe even a shot at "Team E" for the 1 OA.

But...we won't be in the running for the #1 prospect pool for long, after this draft, even picking #2 plus with three second rounders...Vilardi, Petersen, Roy, Lizotte, Prohorkin are all graduating for sure and likely another four or five will graduate into full time Kings NHLers. Several higher prospects like Anderson-Dolan, Bjorfot, Grundstrom and others have had successful "cup-of-tea" NHL call ups so this year they will get longer looks. Something like half the list will be different by the end of next season, if there is a season.
Tobias Bjornfot at just #8, that tells you how deep the Kings prospects are if this is where the Kings fans rate him. He came in as a 18 year old post draft and impressed everyone. This is a kid I have as a possible break out player next season.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Went with the Kings because I like their depth better and I prefer the drafting by shotgun approach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad