Best prospect pool in the NHL (LA vs OTT)

Which prospect pool is better now and in the future?

• Total voters

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Two outstanding prospect pools. Undoubtedly the best in the league.

Which one is better now and in the future?

LA's prospect pool

Byfield/Stutzle
Alex Turcotte
Gabriel Vilardi
Tobias Bjornfot
Arthur Kaliyev
Rasmus Kupari
Samuel Fagemo
Tyler Madden
Akil Thomas
Jaret Anderson-Dolan

Ottawa's prospect pool

Byfield/Stutzle
Raymond/Drysdale
Erik Brannstrom
Drake Batherson
Josh Norris
Logan Brown
Shane Pinto
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Lassi Thomson
Alex Formenton

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Could see it going either way, but I like LA's better personally

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
LA has a very nice prospect pool, they have multiple future top 6 forwards. If they could take a defensemen top 5 next year it'd be extremely well rounded.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Two outstanding prospect pools. Undoubtedly the best in the league.

Which one is better now and in the future?

LA's prospect pool

Byfield/Stutzle
Alex Turcotte
Gabriel Vilardi
Tobias Bjornfot
Arthur Kaliyev
Rasmus Kupari
Samuel Fagemo
Tyler Madden
Akil Thomas
Jaret Anderson-Dolan

Ottawa's prospect pool

Byfield/Stutzle
Raymond/Drysdale
Erik Brannstrom
Drake Batherson
Josh Norris
Logan Brown
Shane Pinto
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Lassi Thomson
Alex Formenton
You’re missing the 3rd first round pick of Ottawa

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Idk enough to comment about LA and who is better, but I'm pretty damn happy with Otts pool. If LA has better then wow, good for them

LA has semi-blue chippers all the way into the late teens to early 20s in the system...guys who would be top 5 in lesser pools. Also, while Ottawa has three firsts this year, LA has their earlier first and three seconds. So for sure, LA’s depth is better than Ottawa’s. Then adding an additional top five pick certainly catches them up a bit.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
LA has semi-blue chippers all the way into the late teens to early 20s in the system...guys who would be top 5 in lesser pools. Also, while Ottawa has three firsts this year, LA has their earlier first and three seconds. So for sure, LA’s depth is better than Ottawa’s. Then adding an additional top five pick certainly catches them up a bit.

What is a semi-blue chipper? Seems like a very loose definition of blue chip if your top-20 are “semi-blue chippers”.

Ottawa has 3 first round picks and 4 second round picks this year also btw.

I think both prospect pools are equivalent in terms of talent, it probably comes down to personal preference.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Semi-blue chippers are my made up term for guys who are very promising in being middle-six/middle pair players or could be everyday players but are on the cusp of making the NHL. They are considered desirable prospects even though they are not top five in LAs current system.
Another way to think of them is a prospect we would hesitate to blindly trade away for later than a late second rounder.

Some examples: Kale Clague, Jared Anderson-Dolan, Martin Frk, Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi, etc. We have a ton of these guys.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'll preface this by saying these are two amazing prospect pools and I'd be ecstatic with either of them but for me Ottawa has better top end than LA with just as much depth and better options in net with Daccord, Soogard, Gustavsson for the medium to long term future. Can't forget that Ottawa also has the Islanders pick who'll likely be in that 15-25 range who should be a great asset going forward, on top of four 2nd rounders in this years draft. That should round out their prospect pool above other teams and this is obviously because they traded their top end players (Stone, Dzingel, Duchene,Karlsson) while LA kept their better players.

That being said, I also think LA as a team is in a much better position going forward because these prospects will have the likes of Kopitar, Brown and Doughty who have won cups and been in a winning environment and that will be taking a lot of pressure off of these kids. Ottawa's more talented players are much younger (Chabot and Tkachuk) and are still learning and developing themselves so I feel like the environment in LA for guys like Byfield/Stutzle, Vilardi and etc will be ideal while in Ottawa it's a team where these kids will need to take these leadership roles right away and that's not easy in a Canadian market with a lot of scrutiny. Fans in Ottawa have expectations here after being a middling team for a decade.

And I think that just like LA, there are guys in Ottawa that could make it and are still talented that aren't mentionned. Abramov, Balcers, Wolanin, Kastelic for example. As already mentionned, LA also has a bunch of these type of guys...

Last edited:

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
You’re missing the 3rd first round pick of Ottawa

On purpose since that pick could be anywhere from #13 to #31 as of now.

Ottawa has 3 first and 4 second round picks this years. Including 2 picks in the top 5 and #33 in the second round.

Alex Formenton, the #10 ranked guy on Ottawa's list is 6'3'', one of the best skaters in hockey and almost went PP as a rookie in the AHL.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Semi-blue chippers are my made up term for guys who are very promising in being middle-six/middle pair players or could be everyday players but are on the cusp of making the NHL. They are considered desirable prospects even though they are not top five in LAs current system.
Another way to think of them is a prospect we would hesitate to blindly trade away for later than a late second rounder.

Some examples: Kale Clague, Jared Anderson-Dolan, Martin Frk, Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi, etc. We have a ton of these guys.

Based on that definition and those names, every NHL team has ''semi-blue chip'' prospects.

Not listed on Ottawa's side are: Vitaly Abramov, Joel Daccord, Filip Gustavsson, Mads Soogaard, Maxime Lajoie, Filip Chlapik, Jonathan Davidsson, Jonathan Gruden, etc.

Reactions: Dominance

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Really tough. I think OTT is better on top but LA is deeper, to the point that one almost makes up for the other in favor of either team.

I could see this. We are at a point in the LA org where we almost HAVE to trade some picks and prospects for better talent as we're just running out of middle-six-and-better type slots, honestly.

I think Ottawa has a few more things going for them--most of LA's best young players are still considered prospects while guys like Tkachuk and Chabot are already contributing roster players; Ottawa will add more high-end talent this draft as well so if we're strictly talking off-roster prospects they'll jump ahead this draft almost certainly if they aren't already seen as ahead.

I do think that similar to Ottawa LA has some real darkhorses that COULD turn the tide a bit (though Ottawa can also say the same), like Jordan Spence and Kim Nousiainen. La's been one of the best mid-to-late round teams of the 2010s and some of their recent 'hits' have been UDFA like Iafallo and Walker and 7th rounders like Matt Roy--that's been a really underrated part of their organization for a long time. They've been just straight up missing a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks in recent years to focus on the high end stuff and now after a couple of years of a derailed train that's starting to look good again.

Picking Ottawa, just trying to add some color for la :)

I think Turcotte is one of the most overated prospects in the game

Probably like 50 great prospects you could talk about across both teams, and this is your contribution.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Ottawa as I like their top end prospects more.

Depth in prospect pools is overrated. 9 out of 10 of those depth prospects will amount to nothing much.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
The fact that I really thought about it shows how great LA’s prospect pool is. However, Ottawa has 2 top 5 picks, another first and 4 seconds? Their prospect pool is going to be AMAZING.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Many of us kings fans cringe at the thought of having the best prospects pool. We supposedly had one of the better pools awhile back and it amounted to pretty much nothing. Vilardi and Bjornfot are the only two from this list that's played a few games in the NHL and although has looked impressive at times, needs a few more games to determine if they are for real. The others on the list looks promising but we're going wait and see before labeling us as the best. So more then happy to give the title to Ottawa. Cuz it looks like they are going to add a few really good players this year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Great poll. I'll vote Ottawa, but it's very close. I wouldn't argue with anyone who votes for the Kings group.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I could see this. We are at a point in the LA org where we almost HAVE to trade some picks and prospects for better talent as we're just running out of middle-six-and-better type slots, honestly.

I think Ottawa has a few more things going for them--most of LA's best young players are still considered prospects while guys like Tkachuk and Chabot are already contributing roster players; Ottawa will add more high-end talent this draft as well so if we're strictly talking off-roster prospects they'll jump ahead this draft almost certainly if they aren't already seen as ahead.

I do think that similar to Ottawa LA has some real darkhorses that COULD turn the tide a bit (though Ottawa can also say the same), like Jordan Spence and Kim Nousiainen. La's been one of the best mid-to-late round teams of the 2010s and some of their recent 'hits' have been UDFA like Iafallo and Walker and 7th rounders like Matt Roy--that's been a really underrated part of their organization for a long time. They've been just straight up missing a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks in recent years to focus on the high end stuff and now after a couple of years of a derailed train that's starting to look good again.

Picking Ottawa, just trying to add some color for la :)

Probably like 50 great prospects you could talk about across both teams, and this is your contribution.
Well said. f*** the Kings, but they've got a very bright future. And they have a great leadership core. Unfortunately. :(

Reactions: Rorschach

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Both are amazing but if you count the NYI 1st and (4) 2nd round picks that the Sens have, it's going to have to be the Sens at that point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa has 9 picks in the first 3 rounds. 3 firsts and 4 seconds.

Formenton is massively underrated. Vilardi is the wild card, overall i prefer the sens.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Igor Shesterkin
Vitali Kravtsov
Nils Lundkvist
K’Andre Miller
Julien Gauthier
Zac Jones
Matthew Robertson
Morgan Barron