Best post-prime Center: N.Y. Gretzky or Vancouver Messier?

Who's better: Wayne Gretzky as a Ranger or Mark Messier as a Canuck?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Gretzky on the Rangers was still one of the top-5 players in the world.

Messier was not even close to that in Vancouver.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I do think Canucks fans overstate how bad Messier was in Vancouver. He scored 162 points in 207 games. Pro rates to a 21-44-65 season. Only Naslund out scored him in his time there with 165 points in 238 games. He was 49th in league scoring over that stretch. Not bad for someones age 38-40 seasons. Insert Canucks fans (who probably weren't actively creating memories 25 years ago) to tell me what the locker room dynamic was. Thanks but Ill take Naslunds word over yours.

But really. Gretzky lead the league in assist 2/3 seasons in NY, and finished 4th and 3rd in points. Also he had a very good final playoff run with a 10 goal 20 point campaign in 15 games.

Its Gretzky hands down.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I do think Canucks fans overstate how bad Messier was in Vancouver. He scored 162 points in 207 games. Pro rates to a 21-44-65 season. Only Naslund out scored him in his time there with 165 points in 238 games. He was 49th in league scoring over that stretch. Not bad for someones age 38-40 seasons. Insert Canucks fans (who probably weren't actively creating memories 25 years ago) to tell me what the locker room dynamic was. Thanks but Ill take Naslunds word over yours.

But really. Gretzky lead the league in assist 2/3 seasons in NY, and finished 4th and 3rd in points. Also he had a very good final playoff run with a 10 goal 20 point campaign in 15 games.

Its Gretzky hands down.

Messier played huge minutes in order to get those numbers, so his efficiency was pretty terrible, and his defensive effort was non-existent. Yea, he was old and the fans probably need to take some onus for putting unreasonable expectations on a 37 year old, but he was a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad