Best post-prime Center: N.Y. Gretzky or Vancouver Messier?

Who's better: Wayne Gretzky as a Ranger or Mark Messier as a Canuck?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Whiteacre

Dec 25, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Curious who would be considered better here, even if they're far from the superstar players they used to be (Gretzky for Edmonton and Los Angeles, and Messier for Edmonton and New York).

If you put the N.Y. Rangers version of Wayne Gretzky on a contending team, would he have avoided having to do all the work on the first line at an advanced age like he did in his last two seasons? Same thing with the Vancouver version of Mark Messier if you put him on a contending team, would he have been made to take a backseat and be a key player without outshining other stars instead of trying to do too much and missing the playoffs for his last seven seasons as a result?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Messier was terrible on the Canucks. It wasnt a matter of ‘trying to do too much’ so much as collecting a paycheck and not having a **** left to give.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If there's one thing I regret in life, it's not being alive to see these two play.......

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Gretzky’s worst season with the Rangers was better than Messier’s best season with the Canucks.

That’s purely production wise, not even factoring in the negative aspects Messier had on the Canucks locker room and franchise as a whole, whereas Gretzky was a class act for the Rangers and likely provided some beneficial mentorship.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Gretzky’s worst season with the Rangers was better than Messier’s best season with the Canucks.

That’s purely production wise, not even factoring in the negative aspects Messier had on the Canucks locker room and franchise as a whole, whereas Gretzky was a class act for the Rangers and likely provided some beneficial mentorship.

:thumbu:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Fans chant “Messier Sucks” at every Canucks game, regardless of who the opponent is. That should answer the question. Although I have no idea why they chant that, are they angry at him for beating them with the Rangers? Was he that bad as a Canuck? Idk lmao

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gretzky played with Messier his first year in New York, the year before Messier left for the Canucks, and Gretz was the better player then, finishing 4th in scoring and taking home the 2nd team all center, capping it off with 10 goals and 20 points in 15 playoff games as he led the Rangers to the Conference finals (Messier had 3 goals and 12 points). Considering Messier never came close to matching his level of play that season while he was with the Canucks, this one is easily Gretzky

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ya Messier was a dud in Vancouver didn't help he was injured with arm issues most of his stay here. The guy is one of the most hated former players ever here so should not even be a question. 99 was still productive in NY and a great teammate.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Already before the Rangers Gretzky had his opportunities to win with the Kings and the Blues, didn't get it done. Zero rings without Messier. I'm not big on Vancouver Messier either, but if I'm running a contender he's still the one.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Already before the Rangers Gretzky had his opportunities to win with the Kings and the Blues, didn't get it done. Zero rings without Messier. I'm not big on Vancouver Messier either, but if I'm running a contender he's still the one.

Ahh, the same Messier who missed the playoffs every year of his Canucks tenure? The one who went back to NY and again missed the playoffs, 4 years in a row.

FWIW Gretzky in 1997, his last playoff run had 20 points in 15 games.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ahh, the same Messier who missed the playoffs every year of his Canucks tenure? The one who went back to NY and again missed the playoffs, 4 years in a row.

FWIW Gretzky in 1997, his last playoff run had 20 points in 15 games.
Messier brought the prestige of 6 cups to the Canucks franchise. That is seriously priceless.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

This is the first game between the two on the Rangers/Canucks. A 36-year-old Gretzky, with a bad back and a mediocre Rangers team, put up 5 points in that game and capped it with an incredible goal for the hat trick. Messier was totally forgettable with the Canucks while Gretzky shined even in the twilight of his career.

Gretzky had two hattricks in the 1997 playoffs as well. Led the team with 20 pts in 15 games, next highest scorers had 12 pts.

Reactions: UncleOscar

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Fans chant “Messier Sucks” at every Canucks game, regardless of who the opponent is. That should answer the question. Although I have no idea why they chant that, are they angry at him for beating them with the Rangers? Was he that bad as a Canuck? Idk lmao
It's not that hard to do a Google search on the situation and realize how much of a disease Messier was for that franchise. He conducted himself terribly.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Canucks fans absolutely despise Messier. Part of it is him beating them in 94. The other part is him apparently not caring while he wore their sweater.

Messier wasn't the only issue in Vancouver. Ownership wasn't great either.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Messier in Vancouver was the classic "I got a big contract, so I don't care anymore" scenario. He knew in 1997 he'd have maybe one last big contract in his future and could sell himself as the ultimate leader/face of the team. The highest bidder was going to sign him.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Having the Keenan/Merrier era in Vancouver was almost as painful as losing game 7 to the Rangers. By far the worst 2-3 year stretch in team history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad