This isn't the armchair gm thread

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
1) We win the Cup
2) We win the lottery
3) Benning is fired
4) We are a lottery team and trade at least Hamhuis+Vrbata for 1sts at the deadline.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Agreed, the best case is to somehow win the cup and nothing less.

Failing that, the second best option is to be a team in the bottom 5 of this league. We really need some high quality prospects and a player that will define this franchise for years to come. While a high pick doesn't guarantee that, it sure as hell beats picking 10-14!

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
You guys are thinking too small. Best case scenario is one where we win the cup after trading hamhuis at the deadline for an unprotected 1st to a bubble team who ends up just missing the playoffs and winning the lottery.

arsmaster*

Best possible outcome?

Deal Vrbata at the deadline to a playoff contender, that team misses the playoffs (we win the lottery with that pick).

Squeak into the playoffs and run the table going 16-0 to win the cup.

Best possible outcome.

You didn't state it needed to be realistic.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
You guys are thinking too small. Best case scenario is one where we win the cup after trading hamhuis at the deadline for an unprotected 1st to a bubble team who ends up just missing the playoffs and winning the lottery.

Well played.

The Jesus*

-Top 5 pick in the draft. Jimbo, Weisbrod, and Linden fired before the draft.

-Horvat solidifies himself as a 2nd liner, Baertschi proves himself. Virtanen makes the lineup and shows promise.

-Miller retires and I never have to see his face again.

That would make me a very happy Canucks fan.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Best possible outcome in a realistic scenario would be another strong regular season, followed by an admirable playoff effort....perhaps 2nd round and losing to a contender like Anaheim in a tight series. Importantly out of that would be some great performances and improvements from young players, particularly in the important games. I'm thinking a season like the Flames just had, where young players emerge and there is a winning atmosphere. One positive out of the playoff series last season was the emergence of Horvat, so if he takes another step, and perhaps another young player or 2 have a good playoff I think that would be a relative success.

We might not agree on what's a success for this non-contending team, but we can all agree missing the playoffs without being a bottom 5 team, and not unloading valuable veteran trade assets (and losing them for nothing in the offseason) would be the biggest disaster.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Best case scenario is winning the cup, like every year.

Realistically, I'm hoping for a 1st overall pick and a new management team.

Pretty much all the needs be said on best case.

Worst case:
  • Finish 9th in the conference
  • Benning demoted to head scout, Weisbrod promoted to GM
  • Hamhuis, Vrbata and Prust not traded at the deadline and leave for nothing in the offseason
  • Draft a no name player from the USHL with our first round pick that projects as a reliable two way center
  • Sedins retire

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
auston_matthews_usa_080314.jpg

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Best case scenario is being out of the playoffs, well before the trade deadline.

The worst case is being in the hunt for the playoffs at the trade deadline. Trading our first and second rounders this year and next year for rentals, and then missing the playoffs.

A first round exit is stinky too.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Best is obviously winning the Stanley Cup and worst would be narrowly missing last wildcard spot.

The best likely outcome would be that basically all of Benning's moves this spring / summer work out:
  • Sutter and Horvat solidify the 2-3 C positions
  • Baertschi becomes a top 6 scoring winger (40 points, 20 goals)
  • Yannik Weber and Frankie Corrado mature as 2-way defensemen (40 and 30 points respectively)
  • Sbisa becomes a more consistent and reliable physical defender.
  • Miller plays 65 games and is decent (.915 sv%) and Markstrom improves over the year to rival Miller as the starting goalie.
  • Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Cassels, Grenier, Hutton and Subban have outstanding seasons in Utica - win Calder Cup.
But - it's not quite enough - at the TDL, the Canucks are outside of the playoff hunt. So Benning trades Hamhuis and Vrbata for 1st round picks (Hamhuis is re-signed in the off-season). The young guns are called up and perform well, but we finish in the bottom 5 with 3 first round and 3 second round picks. We win the draft lottery and reload.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think that if they miss the playoffs it would be a disappointment. I think they can win a round but I don't expect them to go deeper yet.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
We go 0--12 against edmonton calgary.

draft chychurn 1st overall

Sign lucic

Fire desjardins, promote green.

Wait for johansen to come home while hoping we draft top 5 until that happens

Then win the sedins the cup as 40 yr ols 20 yr vets with this line up

Baertschi johansen virtanen
Top 5 2017 horvat lucic
kenins cassels boeser
Sedin sedin mccann
gaunce shinkaruk

Chychurn top 5 2018
Edler tanev
bartkowski corrado
Weber

Demko
markstrom

love it

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Best possible outcome is to miss the playoffs (which seems likely) and get a top 10 pick. With almost every other team getting better we're an injury or two away from a top 5 pick. I wouldnt complain.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Scenario One

- Elmer and Linden are some kind of misunderstood geniuses
- Willie Desjardins displays talent at coach that he hasn't before
- Every player on the roster has a career year highlighted by the Sedins scoring 150+ points
- The Canucks go 16-0 in the playoffs winning the final game 11-0 against the Bruins
- The Sedins decide to retire right after winning the Cup

Scenario Two

- Elmer and Linden are as stupid as we think they are
- Willie Desjardins is a middling coach who lacks the ability of an elite coach
- We sell off a couple vets in mind bogglingly terrible deals
- The Sedins and youth carry the team to just missing the playoffs
- Elmer and Linden convince ownership that this season was a fluke and we get a repeat next year

Scenario Three

- Elmer and Linden are so stupid they're smart
- Desjardins is a terrible coach who has the wheels come off on him
- This team is out of the playoff picture by January
- This team sells off every veteran for fat returns
- The Sedins are traded for a massive haul
- We have a fun season of watching the youth acclimate to the NHL
- The Canucks dominate at the draft taking Matthews and getting our 31st pick back from Pittsburgh in a drunken poker game

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best case scenario but probably not realistic, is that Hutton, McCann, Gaunce and Virtanen all make the opening night roster, but the season gets derailed by injuries to the vets....we're locked into a lottery position by Xmas... but we're active at the trade deadline loading up on prospects while disposing of expiring contracts for guys like Hamhuis, Vrbata and Prust....Burrows is traded to a Stanley Cup contender for the sake of his career....Miller is dealt (a buy-out more likely) and Willie gives way to Travis Green in time for next season....did I miss anything?....Oh yes, Eddie Lack is re-signed as a UFA and brought back to Vancouver.:handclap:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
bill daly opens an envelope with a golden canuck card as shown in my avi

Yep...that would be sweet!...a genuine first overall draft pick for the first time in team history, and someone to go head to head with McJesus for the next decade....but you'd have to endure the regular season first, and then pray you'd win the lottery...and with that cursed Canucks luck ever since the infamous lottery-wheel in 1970, I wouldn't holding my breath.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
bill daly opens an envelope with a golden canuck card as shown in my avi

if this season goes south i hope the willywonka tickets start turning up in the arena.

"we want a golden ticket. we want that golden twinkle in our eye!"

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I had a dream the Canucks won the draft Lottery, so there's that...

Not to be a downer, but I had this dream the Canucks actually won the draft lottery wheel and drafted Gilbert Perreault instead of Dale Tallon in 1970...oops that actually turned into a nightmare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad