Proposal: Best Possible Outcome For The 2015-16 Season

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I've seen a lot of people post here about the moves Benning has made (and I don't really agree with them, but bear with me), and I was wondering what people think the best possible outcome for this team could realistically be? Playoffs? Making the second Round? Lottery Team? What do you think? :popcorn:

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Depends. Best possible outcome could also be bad because, we're in the rebuild stages and nobody thinks this team can contend. Best case scenario for some people may be just to finish as low as possible to get a high pick.

If you're talking about standings. If all goes well, could very well have the same type of year the Canucks had last year but that doesn't really help long-term or short-term assuming they don't sell of the guys with value at the deadline.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We'll likely be a 100 pt team.. a best case scenario could be passing Ana.. But that depends on them faltering more than us passing them..

So I'd say best care scenario realistically speaking is 2nd in the Pac with home ice in the 1st round..

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
best case scenario is ending up as a lottery team, but I think realistically we're a bubble team (which is basically purgatory).

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Either end of the spectrum (playoffs or lottery pick) is a best case scenario. The worst case scenario is being a middling team that's neither good enough for the playoffs or bad enough to get a high draft pick.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Best: Team finishes last in league, Benning fired, Weisbrod fired, Linden steps down, Matthews falls into our lap....

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The worst case scenario is being a middling team that's neither good enough for the playoffs or bad enough to get a high draft pick.

No no no. The worst case scenario is being a middling team that's neither good enough for the playoffs or bad enough to get a high draft pick yet fails to cut its losses by not trading its UFA veterans at the TDL.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
best case scenario is ending up as a lottery team, but I think realistically we're a bubble team (which is basically purgatory).

Cant See this team being close to the playoffs by the allstar break. Which is a good thing because best case scenario is the highest pick we can get.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'd like to squeak into the playoffs again this year, so when the team fails in the year after nobody can turn around and blame Gillis, leading to Benning getting fired (Gillis will still obviously get blamed).

I'm terrified that when the team collapses next year, Gillis someone takes the blame again and Benning continues to be trusted with the rebuild.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the team is still capable of having a season like last year. For all the talk of the team losing players, most of them didn't make a big impact. Kassian had a hot streak, but was injured and misused/ineffective most of the year. Baertschi should at least bring similar results, and hopefully more. Bieksa was poor, and not allowing Willie to use the Sbisa-Bieksa pairing is probably a bonus. Richardson missed half the year. Bonino and Matthias will be missed, but hopefully Sutter can replace a lot of what Matthias brought, and an improved Horvat can make up for Bonino. Goaltending is probably the biggest question mark from the year before after the loss of Lack. I don't think he was ever as good as some people here think though, and I don't believe there's a large difference between he and Miller. Markstrom is the wild card, but it seems reasonable to think that after the AHL season he had after rebuilding his game, he should be able to at least provide average backup quality goaltending. Ultimately, it's the main guys that will make or break the season: the Sedins, Vrbata, Horvat, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Miller. Regression from the older players and health will be the biggest factors in fighting for a playoff spot. As it is, I think they finish just out in 9th or 10th. If they do make the playoffs though, I think this team has shown they just don't have what it takes to win a round anymore. Personally, I'm just hoping for the young guys to bring some excitement to a still stale group. There was a bit of that last year, but not enough.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Miller stinks it up while Markstrom remains a respectable 1B, showing us we made a good choice letting Lack go.

Sbisa becomes a reliable 3LD. Vey solidifies himself as a useful forward and shuts the board up, Baertschi becomes our 2LW, Sutter one of the league's best 3C's, Virtanen gets his 9 games and then gets sent down to dominate the juniors and WJC, finally joining Utica for another Calder run.

Being a team under the bubbling under category and we trade Higgins and Prust away for prospect, Vrbata and one of Hamhuis/Edler for a king's ransom. We end up drafting Chychrun or Puljujärvi, promoting Marky to 1A next season.

Forwards for 2016-2017:
Boring guys for HFB: Henrik, Danny, Burrows, Hansen, Sutter, Dorsett
Exciting guys for HFB: Virtanen, Horvat, Vey, Baertschi, Grenier, mystery prospect?!

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We are going to be ranked 9-11th...too many emerging/rebounding teams this upcoming season. Our team just too old, and has too many contract eating ****s who don't give a damn about winning. Management will continue make "bold" moves resulting in the gradual but very slow decay of this team. Until finally they realize they need a full rebuild hopefully.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Baertschi has an all star year. Markstrom plays like god. Horvat takes over as a legit #2 center. win the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
We go 0--12 against edmonton calgary.

draft chychurn 1st overall

Sign lucic

Fire desjardins, promote green.

Wait for johansen to come home while hoping we draft top 5 until that happens

Then win the sedins the cup as 40 yr ols 20 yr vets with this line up

Baertschi johansen virtanen
Top 5 2017 horvat lucic
kenins cassels boeser
Sedin sedin mccann
gaunce shinkaruk

Chychurn top 5 2018
Edler tanev
bartkowski corrado
Weber

Demko
markstrom

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Best case scenario is winning the cup, like every year.

Realistically, I'm hoping for a 1st overall pick and a new management team.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
If Markstrom plays like he did in the playoffs the Canucks will be in the hunt for a spot. But that is unlikely with our current group of defense... unless Edler and Hamhuis have huge years.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Rogers makes a history will be made commerical showing a old time projector of the sedins playing as kids on a rink in sweden and slowly montaging through their career stopping at the bruins loss. Then reversing into the victory against the team theyve defeated closing with their mumbers in the rafters.

History will be made

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad